Main difference between Kanger SSOCC and Clapton SSOCC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have always bought the regular square shaped OCC heads for my subtank mini but ever since I've seen these, they have looked very interesting, just am unsure of which option to pick? SSOC or Clapton? I have never tried clapton coils and do they last about the same? I have heard of leaking issues with these and the subtank mini when laying it down.

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
So I have always bought the regular square shaped OCC heads for my subtank mini but ever since I've seen these, they have looked very interesting, just am unsure of which option to pick? SSOC or Clapton? I have never tried clapton coils and do they last about the same? I have heard of leaking issues with these and the subtank mini when laying it down.
Hey there, SSOCC coils are made out of Stainless Steel and Organic Cotton. SSOCC:s heat up faster than regular OCC coils due to the coil material inside the coilhead (stainless steel).
Clapton coils have way more surface area due to the construction of the wire inside the coilhead, which translates roughly to better flavor and larger clouds. I haven't used my Subtank in quite a while now, so I don't have any personal knowledge on the different coilheads, but I have used both Stainless Steel wire and Clapton wire in my rebuildable tanks and drippers.

Which one to pick?
If you want warm vape and large-ish clouds: Go for the SSOCC Stainless Steel coils.
If you want better flavor and cooler vape: Go for the Clapton Coilheads.

Hope this helps you out even the slightest bit :)

Mattox

Nov 26, 2015
Hey there, SSOCC coils are made out of Stainless Steel and Organic Cotton. SSOCC:s heat up faster than regular OCC coils due to the coil material inside the coilhead (stainless steel).
Clapton coils have way more surface area due to the construction of the wire inside the coilhead, which translates roughly to better flavor and larger clouds. I haven't used my Subtank in quite a while now, so I don't have any personal knowledge on the different coilheads, but I have used both Stainless Steel wire and Clapton wire in my rebuildable tanks and drippers.

Which one to pick?
If you want warm vape and large-ish clouds: Go for the SSOCC Stainless Steel coils.
If you want better flavor and cooler vape: Go for the Clapton Coilheads.

Hope this helps you out even the slightest bit :)
Actually, the "SS" refers to the outer casing. They are still kanthal like the square ones; the only real difference being that they are smaller so you have more room for juice. You'd vape a 0.5 ssocc at the same wattage as a 0.5 occ.
It was a bad idea to name them the way they did because it's very misleading.

The claptons run higher wattage and produce bigger clouds and a warmer vape.

**I'll add that I think the claptons are the best coils that Kanger makes. I don't usually use them in my nano at work though because I run low on juice with them and the clouds linger in my office too long.

Last edited:

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Actually, the "SS" refers to the outer casing. They are still kanthal like the square ones; the only real difference being that they are smaller so you have more room for juice. You'd vape a 0.5 ssocc at the same wattage as a 0.5 occ.

**I'll add that I think the claptons are the best coils that Kanger makes. I don't usually use them in my nano at work though because I run low on juice with them and the clouds linger in my office too long.
Wherever I looked, it was stated that the SSOCC coils use stainless steel wire. Also, what material were the old square ones then, if those casings weren't made out of stainless steel? Do you have a link where it says that the wire inside a SSOCC 0.5ohm coil is Kanthal?

Mattox

Nov 26, 2015
According to the Kanger website the occ and ssocc are rated exactly the same specs. Also, they call the ni200 coil an ssocc. Sweet Vapes explains it on the product page were they sell them.

I remember reading a while back on reddit that the square heads were made of some kind of chrome or other alloy.

I was wrong about the kanthal, though. I guess Kanger uses nichrome and always has. The claptons are kanthal though.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I don't know if the non-TC squares were NiCh vs. Kanthal, but the new non-Claptons/SS are.

Here's the straight scoop...

Packaging highlight and O-Ring color...

Red - NiChrome 0.15, 0.5, 1.2, 1.5
Blue - Nickel 0.15
Pink - Stainless Steel 0.5
Black - Clapton (K ?) 0.5

I want the SS (Pinks) I thought I was buying with the Reds, haven't seen them out yet.

Reactions: Jaguar G

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I switched to the ssocc nichrome coils in my sub tank mini and love them. Great flavor and plenty of vapor at 25 watts. Just ordered more yesterday. Can't go wrong with them.

I've got one in a Nano now... purrin' along nicely.
But, as I said above I wanted, and still want, the SS.
Clapton might be interesting too. :p

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Resolved.

EDIT: Confusion over included coil with kit. Subox Mini Pro aka Topbox mini kit includes a pink o-ring SSOCC "SS" labelled coil, not a red one.

I had a bit of confusion when reviewing the charts that had initially circulated, and there were a few video reviews that I could have sworn claimed to have a titanium coil included in this kit.

Anyhow... haven't tried the new reds, but the pink SS heats up insanely fast in TC mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhTheAgony

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ok, so what this narrows down to is that the red o-ring SSOCC are not SS (Nichrome) and the pink o-ring SSOCC are indeed SS, and only come in a 0.5Ω variant (which most vendors seem to either not stock at all, or not be aware of).

Authentic Kanger™ SSOCC (SS316L) Replacement Atomizer Heads

That is one of few places that had them in stock; still looking for a reliable source to purchase 5-packs from.

I've never had a pre-built coil last this long...and while they do indeed heat up fast as per my previous post, the flavor is going strong and is much more "detailed" (for lack of a better description) than the standard square vertical coils.

These coils will also have a very tiny "SS" printed on the side. I definitely prefer them over the clapton coil included in the Topbox Mini kit, which only lasted me about 4 days. This SS coil has lasted me about two weeks going through 6ml+ daily of MBV's white out (went back to it after I had used the included Clapton and Ni200 coils up entirely).

I also experience congestion with kanthal and nichrome that doesn't seem to be happening with this one, but that could just be coincidence? Whatever the reason, digging these things... now I just need to find some more to order.

EDIT: I should mention, that I'm running them in TC at 410-420F

Shokker

Mar 18, 2015
Germany
Just checked and my round, three holed, 5L coils have a "NC" printed on them at the small wicking hole.

The main difference between the standard red Nichrome and the black Clapton coil in my opinion is power consumption and ramp up time. The clapton coils need a few watts more and have a noticeable ramp up time. Flavour is pretty much the same to me. But I use the NC 0,5 Ohm coils at around 23-25 watt, so I may not be the peer group for the clapton... Wouldnt buy them again. Next I will try the ceramic wick coil heads. Or the Protank4 dual coil rba.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I realize this is over a month old but does anyone know what this is? I have a red seal SSOCC with 5L stamped on the body and it's a .5 ohm vertical coil. It is suppose to to a titanium coil from Kanger. I checked the authenticity and it checks out as authentic. Kanger doesn't even know what it is!

What does "Kanger doesn't know" mean?
Who said they were Ti?

Regardless of the "round" SSOCC generation (there are three) if it has a red o-ring... it's NiCr.
That table upthread is accurate, unless... they made an unannounced change. o_O

:)

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
I feel Kanger messed up on naming these coils, SSOCC led me to believe these were stainless steel coils, my bad, it's NiChrome. I guess the SS coils are only available in one of the new tanks and I picked up a red o-ring SSOCC thinking it was a SS coil only to have my Cuboid keep switching back to power mode. Took a lot of searching (first blaming my brand new Cuboid) to figure this out.

I do like the the new coil, seems to flow juice and air better and taste good, but a major miss by Kanger IMHO with the naming. Hopefully they will come out with SS coils since I'd like to try them in temp control mode, but I've read reviews of people who have mistaken the SSOCC Nickel 0.15 for stainless and had "issues", so to speak.

Guess I should give the nickel coils a shot to see if TC is something I want to do. Was trying with this coil but was confused by the naming scheme as were many others - so it isn't just me this time.

Shokker

Mar 18, 2015
Germany
Guess I should give the nickel coils a shot to see if TC is something I want to do. Was trying with this coil but was confused by the naming scheme as were many others - so it isn't just me this time.

Me personally I´m not satisfied with the nickel coils. Out of a five pack two coils burned within the first hour of use (one with an Istick 40, one with an Istick Pico). It felt like there was no tc at all, but the mod firing with full power. The other three werent satisfying either: The first puffs were decent, but then the resistance dropped constantly and I had to raise the temperature to get anything out of them (at 230 Celsius they were like the regular 0,5 coils with maybe 15 watt...). It seems to me, that nickel coils, due to their low resistance are pretty prone to resistance issues from contacts and the Sub/Toptanks are not suitable for nickel coils. So my first experience with tc was pretty bad. Would like to try the ss coils though.

Reactions: Jaguar G

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
Here is my experience with the Kanger coils.

Their TC coils tend to not last as long as their Nichrome (Red tipped washer OCC/Square, the new SSOCC's slenders and the new fatter and improved SSOCC.

Nickle (blue washer) seems to only last me about a week while the 0.5 stainless steel (Pink washer) usually lasts between 2 and 3 weeks.

Now if were talking about the New claptons which are kanthal, to me those last the longest... just as long as the Nichrome (red washer) does. It doesn't matter if they are the old square OCC's or the new SSOCCs, these coils can last me anywhere from 3 weeks to a month.

Anyhow these are my observations as I've been using these exclusively for the past 6 months while only now just getting to the RBA goodness. My conclusion.. Claptons and the Nichrome have about the same lifespan... and Imo that can be up to a week or two more than what I've seen with my NI and SS coils.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I've never a Kangertank leak on me yet but then again, I don't take them out of the house. Maybe that has something to do with it though.:?:

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect as I also used to think these were Kanthal for the first 3 months I was using them. Those old square OCC's that have the red washer are actually Nicrhome and not Kanthal. Same goes with the New SSOCC's and the SSOCC's version 2's.

If I am wrong, I would be very surprised but according to this chart and the website the only coils Kanger has that actually are Kanthal are their Claptons and their new Ceramic which I'm vaping on now. I'm on day 13 of my Ceramic Kanthal coil and still going strong.

1277878_1633831413548654_7104353745856692406_o.jpg

Also it doesn't say it here but the Ceramic SSOCC's have a clear white washer. On their website (they have 2 I guess) at the top of the page it will say specification. Click on that and then click coils and you'll have an updated description of their coils. For some reason I couldn't post the link's address, but check it out.
1Ibwh4k.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread