Make Midi V2 - hard button press

Status
Not open for further replies.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Is there a way to decrease the resistance of the bottom button on the Mako Midi V2?

I see there is a small white plastic bit on the spring, can that be screwed down further or something?

(I use an AW 14500 battery)

MakoMidi.jpg

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Hi K24A3,

There is a side hole on the switch threads which is ideal for squirting some WD40 using the accompanying straw-like nozzle. The hole is the perfect size for giving a few squirts of WD40 and then work the switch round and round/ up and down. This should help with a sticky switch.

I will be doing a video demo on this in future so keep an eye out on our smokejuice youtube channel.

This is one of the main switch maintenance jobs which can be carried out if/when you get a slightly sticky switch.

Hope that helps!

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Hi smokindeuce,

The button isn't sticking but I applied some lubricant anyway and that helped a bit, however the button is still a bit hard to push down (as in the spring itself is too strong). The way I hold the PV puts strain on the fingers when pushing the button.

I repositioned that small white plastic bit further down the spring and that helped relieve the force needed to push the button in.
It's not too bad now but if it's possible to lower the force even further, that would be great. But the problem is that if I move the white bit down any further, the spring will touch the battery, which I'm guessing will activate the unit indefinitely.

Perhaps shortening the spring is the solution?

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Hi smokindeuce,

The button isn't sticking but I applied some lubricant anyway and that helped a bit, however the button is still a bit hard to push down (as in the spring itself is too strong). The way I hold the PV puts strain on the fingers when pushing the button.

I repositioned that small white plastic bit further down the spring and that helped relieve the force needed to push the button in.
It's not too bad now but if it's possible to lower the force even further, that would be great. But the problem is that if I move the white bit down any further, the spring will touch the battery, which I'm guessing will activate the unit indefinitely.

Perhaps shortening the spring is the solution?

Its best not to tamper too much with the plastic section of the spring - this is the insulation and it certainly needs to protrude slightly from the spring. I mean you could try clipping a couple of millimetres off the spring to see if that makes a difference. Make sure when after you've pulled the spring out and clipped it to push it all the way back down inside so that it is held at the bottom again.

It could be your spring needs replacing if the switch isn't running that smoothly, or alternatively if you want us to take a look at your switch to see if there is something else at play just email me: admin@smokejuice.co.uk and we'll sort you out no problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread