Making own flavour at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

akis_t

Mar 31, 2017
I have started with some pure VG (got it from a lab, 5 lt, says 99.x% pure and food grade).

Put some in a pot, inside another pot with some water around it, and in the main pot I added a whole bunch of fresh mint leaves, so many that I had to push them down with a spoon. Let it reach around 60C-65C for many hours (very low fire and during half the time the fire was off). I stirred many times taking care not to break the leaves. The leaves shrunk and some crumbled.

I filtered the VG as best as I could passing it 4-5 times through a large strainer and then through my tea strainers (not very well, there are still impurities in the mix). The original quantity of VG was around a pint (568ml). The liquid has become a slight tint of green.

I have poured some of this liquid into the tank and used it at around 40W. This is the usual setting on my mod for pure VG. In the beginning there was no smell of mint. To the contrary there was a hint of "boiled grass" taste if anything. Not good. I kept the liquid inside a dark cupboard for the time being.

Two days later, today, it gives off a very subtle hint of mint, but very subtle, almost imperceptible.

I read somewhere about the "setting" time (measured in days if not weeks). Can't think of the right word right now.

I will keep it in the dark cupboard for weeks to see what is going to happen.

Has anyone done this at all ?

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I'd be very careful about extracting your own flavorings. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I think I would go so far as to say that if you're asking about it here you probably don't know enough to be sure that your technique is going to produce something safe to vape. A better place to ask might be Deeper_DIY • r/Deeper_DIY.

Reactions: IDJoel

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
That "grass" smell/taste is due to the chlorophyll and other plant gunk leeched during the flavor extraction process, made worse by extracting fresh (juicy) leaves. The mint flavor you were after should develop after aging the extract for a month but the grass/plant taste will likely overpower it making it taste murky. Juice made from your mint flavoring will be extremely gunky, trashing wicks/coils after just a few ml. You'd definitely need to provide better filtration than just using a strainer, at the very least use a coffee filter, for better results use 2 micron paper lab filters (Amazon).

VG is an great extraction solvent for making tinctures, but not for producing extracts that'll be used to make e-liquids (juice). This is because in addition to the flavor that you're after, VG leeches more oils, wax, chlorophyll, starches and sugars than other extraction solvents will. It's also very difficult to properly filter without specialized equipment due to its high viscosity (thickness). PG or ethyl alcohol (190 proof PGA) would be a better choice. Both will gravity filter through a 2 micron lab filter although PG takes many hours to do so.

For extracting "fresh" mint leaves I'd use the ethyl alcohol because it can be "freeze filtered" a purification process that helps remove the chlorophyll, starches, sugars and wax that are leeched from the plant leaves. After freeze filtering (purification) alcohol based extracts can be condensed (through simple evaporation), mixed with PG/VG and then evaporated off entirely, transferring the flavor it carried.

If there are good retail synthetic mint flavorings available I'd use those, far less trouble and expense. I only make flavor extracts when no suitable synthetic flavoring is available. For more information on how flavor is extracted, filtered and processed browse ECF's extraction sub-forum Liquid Extraction From Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread