• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Manual VS Auto batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsmom

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Crypton, Colorado
I was wondering if you had a preference, and why...I originally ordered a manual battery. Went thru the learning curve and love it. I just purchased an auto for my M-IN-Law. I did not knowingly pick a manual, it was just the luck of the draw.:oops:
I don't like the auto half as much as the manual, I don't like having to inhale forever to get a hit! But could see people I have smoked with loving them, those guys that finish a cigarette in four drags!

smkgdfrnt1952

Oct 13, 2009
CA, USA
Hi Alsmom,

I have had the RN4081 mini, and the classic DSE pen style, and just ordered the J-510 with manual batteries and was wondering if I'd like them as much as the autos--that do stick enough to make them annoying. After reading your post I feel more confident about my order, thanks!

One question, is the switch difficult to depress or a light touch? I know that sounds silly, but I am arthritic in my hands and I was wondering what that switch was like--click on and off kind of thing, or press really hard thing...

Thanx! Larry

uzzaperez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Perez-uzza to this day
The switch is easy - click down and hold it down, but I would say if you are concerned about how easy the button is, a button is probably not for youl.

I've gone back and forth between the auto and the manual - here is my experience if it helps anyone:

I started with an auto - mostly because I thought it would seem natural. I loved it. Then I started to use a modified (cut in two) Greencig cart for direct dripping to slow my pace of using up cartos. That worked great so I thought I'd try direct dripping the 901 atomizer on my KR auto battery. I found that direct dripping a 901 atomizer on a KR battery is a total failure - too much free air flow to activate the auto battery properly and (unlike the modded Greencig cart) leekage onto and into the battery.

auto battery with Greencig = Success
auto battery with 901 = Fail

Well, I had heard rumors of auto battery's self-activating in your pocket and I wanted to use my 901 atty's so I bought a manual battery. The 901 atty had bad air flow, but after improving the air flow by replacing the whistle tip with a KR carto condom the 901 atty worked great on the manual battery. The manuals are sealed so you don't have to worry about leaking into the battery and you also get better control over the air flow of the 901 so you can manage the atty to prevent it from leaking out the side.

Anyway, I decided to try the modded Greencig carto with the manual and...it didn't work at all with the manual battery - no air flow at all due to the difference in the connection tip of the manual battery (auto has an air flow notch).

manual bettery with Greencig = Fail
manual battery with 901 = Success

uzzaperez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Perez-uzza to this day
So I guess either way there is an acceptable direct drip solution - but the real story is the KR cartos the battery's are intended for. I've found I prefer the auto's because:

1) they just feel right and if I want a longer draw the double puff feels more natural than a double button pump and

2) you don't have to hold it the whole time to take a draw - you can hold an auto in your teeth and still take a draw - you need a finger for a manual making it inconvenient to type, drive, urinate, or any combination thereof. And

3) the auto's compatibility with the Greencig carts allow for an occassional change up to a carto with completely different performance characteristics (Greencigs generally have more vapor, are smoother, but with less throat hit and less flavor - also you never burn filler in a Greencig carto). Fun!

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I started with a manual because I was scared off by so many auto batts horror stories about liquid killing batteries and finicky auto switches, spontaneous firing, etc ... months into vaping I found that while I don't mind using a manual, that I much prefer autos, and don't mind being extra careful so as not to kill my batts with leaky carts.

I dont find that I draw any harder on an auto, than I do a manual ... but I am sure make/model plays a role in that. I like Kr8 autos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread