RDA Mark bugs chalice iii questions (gurgling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I just bought a new chalice v3 and I can't seem to get a build where it doesn't gurgle. I'm hoping this is my build and not the result of the changes made in the later batches. I e tried coil placement close to the posts. Farther away. I've tried six wraps of 28 in 1.5,2,2.5mm configurations and I've tried cutting the wick literally at the coil end.

I'm struggling tm with this and it's frustrating because the device is build great. And he flavor is outstanding along with good density.

The only other observation which probably goes for any metal device this size is it gets pretty hot pretty fast. But if I can solve the gurgling I'll be chuffed

Thanks for he help - pictures appreciated if it's a build issue.

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
Assuming for a second that it isn't a flaw in the design or construction, gurgling typically means your juice flow is higher than necessary for the build. Your counters to that are A) building something that uses more juice, in this case probably keeping the same number of wraps at a lower awg to lower resistance and increase mass, B) reducing juice flow somehow. I don't know anything about the Chalice, but usually in a device without its own JFC you can try overwicking to stifle the juice flow a bit. i.e., pack it with more cotton or rayon than you normally would.

Since you already think it runs a little hot, I'd try B before A.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Hmm. Ok thanks. I'm aware of the concepts and pretty seasoned. Given what I've tried I'll have to consider its is it super easy to over squonk. This atomizer can't really be compared to most others due to size. No juice wells. And virtually no area to wick. It's absolutely minuscule. I think this is going to be more to do with coil placement in this device so I was hoping some chalice owners would post images of their bundle. Every thread I try is closed. Can't finds master thread for it.

I appreciate your time and assistance. The device can't tolerate a Lower gauge wire as the posts have almost no space. I'm sure it's "possible" but certainly not designed of a builds with anything larger than 28.

Hopefully someone running the device without issue can chime in. In sure it's some fairly minor tweak - or possible it's the thickness of eliquid and center feed design coupled with airflow setup. It's certainly very easy to over squonk

Thanks again!

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I have 3 of these now. When I got my first I got gurgling, and what I did that solved the issue was to be sure that the air hole you see inside the cap does not point down when you tip the device to vape. That hole doesn't have to be straight up, just off to the side by maybe a quarter turn. If pointing down juice can get in there, and then you have gurgling.

Reactions: KentA

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Ok I have the clone from FT. I also removed the inner diverter and build my coil between the post, centered on the drip hole. The only time my Chalice has ever gurgled was when I over squonked it or have been chain vaping. Basically juice gets trapped in the AFC ring, quick blow or hard draw or remove and wipe fixes it. This would be worse if I still ran the inner piece. But it was giving me shorting issues, positive post mounted a bit crooked.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I have 3 of these now. When I got my first I got gurgling, and what I did that solved the issue was to be sure that the air hole you see inside the cap does not point down when you tip the device to vape. That hole doesn't have to be straight up, just off to the side by maybe a quarter turn. If pointing down juice can get in there, and then you have gurgling.
I'm sorry. For some reason his thread got lost in my tapatalk. Can you explain this a little ? The air hole inside the device ? You want it on the top or side not bottom ? I'm not quite following. There are three air holes in the second piece and one in the first. The second piece shoots down and it circulated into a side air situation. The air hole typically wants to be next to the coil on drippers to get he best air flow. On this piece I need to see where it sits. I don't see a way to adjust that hole given its dictated by threading right.

The gurgling seems to have lessened. I stopped using spaced coils and sick with smaller coils and such a small
Amount of cotton that it is sort of a pancake wick method. StillBathe juice doesn't drain well if over squonkers with thick Juice but it's better.

The bigger issue I have is that the flavor just isn't anything special. In some cases it's actually quite poor. Compared to the gem tanks it's not even close. Compared to the origin v3 it's very poor. I'm surprised I'm having issues with flavor given mark bugs stuff has been great in that area for me if not in others.

I've tried cleaning multiple times. Changing wire types wick types. T just seems the device -'while a perfect vape in terms of air flow density volume for mtl vaping just doesn't carry any great flavor. Maybe it's just too direct - no real
Chamber it just vaporizes and travels a tiny distance to the mouth. So there's no real
Place for any magic to happen I guess

I'm stumped. I really thought based on reviews these would be something special but so far imwere just not getting along. Maybe it's my juice type.

How do
You just clean the inside of squonking hardware in regulated squonkers. Maybe the feeder area on the mod and 510 and such are somehow raining the flavor. I've cleaned everything j can access extremely thoroughly several
Times. But the part between the bottle tubing and chalice bottom. Not really sure how one cleans that without risking think the mod.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay on his and resurrection thereafter.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Ok I have the clone from FT. I also removed the inner diverter and build my coil between the post, centered on the drip hole. The only time my Chalice has ever gurgled was when I over squonked it or have been chain vaping. Basically juice gets trapped in the AFC ring, quick blow or hard draw or remove and wipe fixes it. This would be worse if I still ran the inner piece. But it was giving me shorting issues, positive post mounted a bit crooked.

Inner diverter? You have s clone of the v3? The coil can't be centered because the posts are not in the center. A bit confused on this too.

Thanks guys. I'll post a picture of the setup that has lessened gurgling but still lacks flavor. Maybe I need to mice to s true microcoil. 1.5mm 1 ohm or something. What kind of build do you run ?

I went to take a shot now and realized it was gunked up and needed a rebuild.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I center mount all my coils in the C3... yes it a little off center.. by about 1 coil...but it work great. I also removed the inner air piece.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

How did you remove the inner sir piece ? I don't think I Understand to which part
You're referring - what sort of build do
You center mount ?

I wish there was some way to adjust the way it sits on my mod. I do think after checking it seems like the way it sits is with the air st the bottom. And that explains why it could flood more easily. At least I can try and wick to block that part more or
Something.

I've would be great. Thanks again.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The ring inside the cap with the air hole for the coil comes out.... it can also be rotated for better vaping. I removed mine because the posi post would ground with any wire bigger than 32. Side Benny was now I could mount the coil in the center between the posts.. I typically run it at around 1 ohm using twisted wire builds.

If your flooding the chalice it because you are over squonking it. Or using too much wick. It's a small atty doesn't take much of a squeeze or wick to fill it.

Reactions: h00ligan

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
The ring inside the cap with the air hole for the coil comes out.... it can also be rotated for better vaping. I removed mine because the posi post would ground with any wire bigger than 32. Side Benny was now I could mount the coil in the center between the posts.. I typically run it at around 1 ohm using twisted wire builds.

If your flooding the chalice it because you are over squonking it. Or using too much wick. It's a small atty doesn't take much of a squeeze or wick to fill it.

I didn't realize there were two prices. So they sit one inside the other ? I was wondering how to rotate it. Centering the air hole always works the best.

I have one now jay is cleaned. Rebuilt and working pretty well. Maybe it just boils down to machine oil or something. I'm not ready to confirm success as I just bust and left but first blush is much improved. I need to see if I can find a way to get it mounted at the right angle. The mod in using is spring loaded so it's not as simple as adjusting a screw.

Thanks for the info. Never would have figured there was an inner sleeve. At least I think I know what you're talking about. You're saying the very bottom part of the cap the air hole can be rotated or removed. Correct ? Where the three holes feed effectively ?

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
The inner piece of the cap with the single hole.. is a snap in ring. Remove cap remove afc ring push inner ring out. I used a nail through the air holes.

Ok. Since there's no standardized name for gesr parts that I know. Let me post a picture of the parts broken down. I assume it's the osrt with the chalice logo / writing and the nail through the with olé is the three air howls on top.

But if I'm wrong. Tell
Me which piece.

A alphabetically starting from the left. A B C D - I assume B

I tried to push down through the air holes with the GP tool but no luck yet.

cfe21251e49c9d764b801c995a965100.jpg

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
You got it. Couple taps in each hole should pop out.

Mine is a fast tech clone .... looks same as that.

Not s chance. Using the gp screws it wouldn't budge. All my body weight -6'5" 240. Pushing down. Nothing. Adding force from my arm. Nothing. It's not going anywhere.

Oh well. It's fine. I'll
Check the other authentic and see. Is the clone good? I looked for
One but they were never made in a second run or more. The authentics I got were a very good price so j can't complain. Except about the stupid mark bugs screws that cost $5 each and are the size of gnat poo

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Just a heads up. The inner sleeve if the authentic chalice 3 is not s user removable part and trying to do so will likely damage the authentic chalice 3 - so I wouldn't suggest bothering.

Bottom line is I'm going to need to get a squonk mod that allows me
To rotate the connection so I can position the chatty in a convenient orientation - it was definitely the reason for the flooding. The way it was mounted and vaped. Thick Judie takes a while to drain and with that inner air hole positioned on the bottom it was running in there. The other thing that helped was soreading the tails on a way that limits the opportunity for juice to flow into that hole (while not blocking air). Elevating the coil is beneficial for thicker juices too. And increase density allowing more air underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread