Marketing to Children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I can't tell you where, but as a school teacher, I can tell you that they are getting them someplace. I'm sure from older friends etc. And like when I was a minor and wanted some beer, I just had someone buy it for me. I told them what my brand of choice was, based on the colorful advertising and sexy underage girls in the ads. Just kidding about the last part, but I hope you get the idea.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I can't tell you where, but as a school teacher, I can tell you that they are getting them someplace. I'm sure from older friends etc. And like when I was a minor and wanted some beer, I just had someone buy it for me. I told them what my brand of choice was, based on the colorful advertising and sexy underage girls in the ads. Just kidding about the last part, but I hope you get the idea.

ROTFLMOA

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
The industry has been good at self regulating, self policing is(to me) different though. Self policing implies there is actual wrongdoing. Governance by lynch mob is not a society I want to live in.

I guess I see it more as vapers saying they won't stand for promoting underage use, which would be breaking the law. We may get it wrong in some instances but the general message is getting sent out there. I personally am not against underage persons vaping but get very uncomfortable when we're talking about very young kids, which I at first thought this girl was.

Reactions: Ed_C

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Not being Obtuse. It's just we are approaching the Beating of a Dead Horse. And whereas I'm not Overly found of Horses, I have Nothing against them either.

The Majority of people I know Don't Care if an Adult uses an e-Cigarette. It just doesn't Effect them. And an Adult has the Right to make that Choice.

But if you interject Anything that deals with the Sale to Minors, or even the Perception of gearing e-Cigarettes to Minors, then Most have a Much Different Attitude. And it Aint a Pretty One.

If you think there is Nothing Wrong with this type of Advertisement, or if you Don't think it harms the e-Cigarette industry, then there isn't much more go over.
I choose to use that as basis for a discussion, perhaps broaden someone's perspective, rather than shying away from a difficult topic.

I know I won't win everyone over, but the alternative forces us to give up too much, in my opinion.

Imagine you're having a conversation, and the other person says: Bubble gum eliquid, that's obviously geared toward minors, flavors like that should be banned.

What do you say to them?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I choose to use that as basis for a discussion, perhaps broaden someone's perspective, rather than shying away from a difficult topic.

I know I won't win everyone over, but the alternative forces us to give up too much, in my opinion.

Imagine you're having a conversation, and the other person says: Bubble gum eliquid, that's obviously geared toward minors, flavors like that should be banned.

What do you say to them?

I would say Maybe it Is... Maybe it Isn't? Show me the Ad that makes you think it is being Target to Minors.

And when they show me how 99% of the e-Liquid Retailers advertise their e-Liquids, I would tell them that I see Nothing that is Targeting Minors.

And that Adults like Flavors also.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
It seems to me that our physical visual faculties and how we interpret the image in question is literally the root of this debate. I experience this same phenomena when discussing colors with other people as well as scents. If we were all seeing the same thing what kind of conversation would we be having? No need to answer, just musing.

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I guess I see it more as vapers saying they won't stand for promoting underage use, which would be breaking the law. We may get it wrong in some instances but the general message is getting sent out there. I personally am not against underage persons vaping but get very uncomfortable when we're talking about very young kids, which I at first thought this girl was.
I don't necessarily see being against age restrictions as promoting underage use. I wouldn't encourage teens to vape, just as I wouldn't encourage them to drink energy drinks, or eat fast food every day. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

As for very young kids, it is inevitable that someone in a discussion like this will bring up small children. It happened earlier in this thread and I just chose to ignore it, and this isn't necessarily directed at you. Here are my thoughts. When discussing minors buying/being influenced, I'm considering teens. Preteens may have the means and opportunity to purchase(if it weren't illegal), but that would be uncommon, and parents should still have influence at that point. Children(younger than 12) should not have the means or opportunity to purchase anything that their parents would object to, but it is not society's responsibility to enforce this, though some may choose to do so. If it were legal for a 5 year old to purchase something, that doesn't mean the vendor has to sell it to them. My 5yo doesn't have the money to buy vape gear, couldn't get to the store by herself to purchase it, wouldn't be able to tell the shop owner what she actually wants, and wouldn't be able to provide the correct funds. She's not slow, she's just 5.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Did someone mention marketing to children?

13245218_696516693842636_5477305965653261147_n.jpg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I would say Maybe it Is... Maybe it Isn't? Show me the Ad that makes you think it is being Target to Minors.

And when they show me how 99% of the e-Liquid Retailers advertise their e-Liquids, I would tell them that I see Nothing that is Targeting Minors.

And that Adults like Flavors also.
No ad, just the idea of a bubblegum flavored tobacco product. Sure, some adults might like bubblegum, but a flavor like that is obviously geared toward children. As 100 non-vapers off the street what they think about a bubblegum flavored tobacco product and I'm sure the overwhelming majority will say they perceive it as targeting children. Adults don't need flavors like that, so the only reason to have them must be to attract the children.

Reactions: Ed_C

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Did someone mention marketing to children?

View attachment 602207
copyright issues aside, as an avid pokemon fan I would love to collect those boxes. Or do you really think that children were the target audience for the pokemon go app?

Of course, this is going to come down to perception again, and perhaps a misconception by an older generation.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
No ad, just the idea of a bubblegum flavored tobacco product. Sure, some adults might like bubblegum, but a flavor like that is obviously geared toward children. As 100 non-vapers off the street what they think about a bubblegum flavored tobacco product and I'm sure the overwhelming majority will say they perceive it as targeting children. Adults don't need flavors like that, so the only reason to have them must be to attract the children.

Nice try, but I'm not biting. Not a fan of the slippery slope.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No ad, just the idea of a bubblegum flavored tobacco product. Sure, some adults might like bubblegum, but a flavor like that is obviously geared toward children. As[k] 100 non-vapers off the street what they think about a bubblegum flavored tobacco product and I'm sure the overwhelming majority will say they perceive it as targeting children. Adults don't need flavors like that, so the only reason to have them must be to attract the children.

I just Don't buy into that.

And I think it is more of what some Legislators would like you to Believe. And, of course, ANTZ. But ANTZ Hate Everything. So they don't Count.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Nice try, but I'm not biting. Not a fan of the slippery slope.
Not a slippery slope in my eyes, two sides of the same coin. In both, the underlying assumption, that vapor products are being geared toward children, is false. The arguments are the same in both cases.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
You can argue that any flavor can appeal to any age group, but an image of what appears to most of us, to be an underage girl, appeals to underage kids, slightly older, just became of age people and perhaps creepy older people (resisted the urge to use the first word that came to mind). It's not close to the same thing.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You can argue that any flavor can appeal to any age group, but an image of what appears to most of us, to be an underage girl, appeals to underage kids, slightly older, just became of age people and perhaps creepy older people (resisted the urge to use the first word that came to mind). It's not close to the same thing.
Honestly, no offense intended, but I think this has more to do with your bias than the image itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread