"Married" married battery pairs to mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
May be a goofy question but I'm switching from internal battery mod (MVP3 Pro) to external battery mods. Bought an Alien 220w, love it, using MVP3 as a backup but USB plug is getting loose, looser every time I charge it I think, and will be getting another 2 battery mod within the next 2 months. While I love the Alien I'm looking at other 2 battery mods because I like variety.

I bought 6 batteries for the Alien, married in 3 pairs, and just rotate the pairs. Labeled each battery with the purchase date, marked the sets (set 1, set 2, set 3). My question is do people/need to have sets specific for the mod. Example: the sets I have for the Alien don't be used in new mod, each mod have their own sets specific to each mod.

Picking up more batteries isn't an $$ issue, I have a 4 battery Efest charger, just wondering what people do or what the best practice is. Again, could be a goofy question but just was thinking about it tonight.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
May be a goofy question but I'm switching from internal battery mod (MVP3 Pro) to external battery mods. Bought an Alien 220w, love it, using MVP3 as a backup but USB plug is getting loose, looser every time I charge it I think, and will be getting another 2 battery mod within the next 2 months. While I love the Alien I'm looking at other 2 battery mods because I like variety.

I bought 6 batteries for the Alien, married in 3 pairs, and just rotate the pairs. Labeled each battery with the purchase date, marked the sets (set 1, set 2, set 3). My question is do people/need to have sets specific for the mod. Example: the sets I have for the Alien don't be used in new mod, each mod have their own sets specific to each mod.

Picking up more batteries isn't an $$ issue, I have a 4 battery Efest charger, just wondering what people do or what the best practice is. Again, could be a goofy question but just was thinking about it tonight.

It's not a goofy question, as of right now, you need to buy new batteries for your new mod, and keep the pair's married.

Within a month or two that advice could change... testing is currently being done to decide if we can take a married pair (or triplets or quadruplets) from one device to another.. but there is still a lot of testing to be done before we know one way or the other..

Best, and safest right now to stick with brand new married pairs until or unless we know otherwise.

Keep an eye on this thread, Mooch says he thinks he will be finished with testing sometime next month (hopefully he will be done then) The testing will give us a definitive answer to this question in light of new regulated mods and mods that take multiple batteries.. Battery marriage...needed or not? Testing starts soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: numsquat

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
I currently only have one 2-cell mod and one 3-cell mods so my married sets only go in one mod, but I always understood that as long as each married set is charged and discharged evenly and the same amount of times they would be fine. So using the same sets in 2 different devices wouldn't be an issue. But I could be wrong. And like I said, I have 2 married sets for my alien and 2 for my RX200S but since I don't have any other 2 or 3 cell mods each set doesn't get used in any others.

Reactions: numsquat

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

The batteries are married to each other, not the mod. No problem using them in another two-battery mod as long as you keep the sets married.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Batteries are married to each other, not the mod...no matter what type it is.

I suppose adding batteries to the mix has been on my mind lately since that has been my concern..

But as it stands right now,you cannot have a married pair in one mod, and put the pair alongside two new batteries in another (4 cell) mod correct?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Two sets of 2 or 3 each will supply most any mod you will find. Buy them on sale at a reputable dealer and keep them in plastic snap top cases designed for 2 or 3 batteries so that you know they are a set. I mark them with a felt tip. Felt tip markings eventually wear off, but there are clear battery shrink wraps that will protect the markings.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I suppose adding batteries to the mix has been on my mind lately since that has been my concern..

But as it stands right now,you cannot have a married pair in one mod, and put the pair alongside two new batteries in another mod correct?

Batteries that are married should only be used as a set. Once you start using a 3 battery set in a 2 battery mod the characteristics of the set changes and the set is no longer considered married. It all about discharge and charge cycles being equal in a set over time.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Batteries that are married should only be used as a set. Once you start using a 3 battery set in a 2 battery mod the characteristics of the set changes and the set is no longer considered married. It all about discharge and charge cycles being equal in a set over time.

This has been my understanding... and also what's been on my mind lately - especially since I just had to buy all new batteries for a new and polygamous relationship.. lol..

It's making me see batteries as married to the mod, since now I have perfectly good batteries that are good for nothing but single use now.. (as the mod is gone..)

But yeah, my first answer was incorrect.. this is what was in my head..

Reactions: Rossum

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This has been my understanding... and also what's been on my mind lately - especially since I just had to buy all new batteries for a new and polygamous relationship.. lol..

It's making me see batteries as married to the mod, since now I have perfectly good batteries that are good for nothing but single use now.. (as the mod is gone..)

But yeah, my first answer was incorrect.. this is what was in my head..

If you haven't already, check out the prices on WWW.RTDVapor.com. Their battery prices are half what you'd pay in a vape shop and are guaranteed to be genuine brand name batteries, not knock offs.

Other sources for genuine batteries are WWW.Illumn.com and WWW.IMRBatteries.com.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Last edited:
Reactions: DaveP

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

But as it stands right now,you cannot have a married pair in one mod, and put the pair alongside two new batteries in another (4 cell) mod correct?

It's best not to but possible if they all have been used the same number of cycles and not abused.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread