Massachusetts! Take action NOW to protect adult access to vapor products from multiple threats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Several bills are scheduled to be heard in the Joint Committee on Public Health on Tuesday, July 14th at 1:00 PM. We have provided a summary of the bills in the full Call to Action. You will see that the proposed regulations range from obvious (prohibiting sales to minors), to predictable (public vaping ban), to dangerous (requiring burdensome testing by manufacturers that would result in all or most e-liquids being banned from sale in MA, raising the age to purchase ALL “tobacco products” to 21 -- even low-risk, smoke-free products like snus and e-cigarettes).

Full Call to Action: CASAA: Massachusetts! Take action NOW to protect adult access to vapor products from multiple threats!

Direct link to CQRC Campaign for Massachusetts where you can send an email to your legislator: Send a Message

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
BTW the "public vaping ban" is explained as banning of vaping in public places where smoking currently banned. That by its self isn't that bad but what that could potentially allow is that if, and most likely when, smoking is banned in any or all public places it would now include vaping. I also don't like the bill that would classify ecigs the same as smoking.
Do you know where this will take place?

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
If you click on the 'Tuesday July 14th' in red above, it gets you to Event Details and then you can click on Directions. It's at 24 Beacon St, it says Location B-2.

I'm working my way through the list of bills, ugh...

There's also H1976 described as 'An Act to protect little lungs'
(1) No person or persons shall be allowed to smoke, as defined in Section 22, Chapter 270 of the General Laws, in a motor vehicle in which a child is required by the provisions of this chapter to be secured by a by a child passenger restraint.

An operator or passenger of a motor vehicle who violates the provisions of this section shall be subject to a fine of $100.

While I didn't smoke with a child in the car, I don't like how this bill is positioned as 'save the children' and nanny control of parents.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Suppose the hearing was to consider whether sellers of food products had to conform to the identical testing requirements. One thing the vendors would ask is, what parts per million or billion can be ignored? Without that threshold there would be many random irrelevent variations. They would want to see a list of the substances they need to test for. They might ask how they would control how people prepare the food and what might be created by that process that's not found in the original food. They would say it is impossible to comply with the rule as written and they will stop doing business in the State and the citizens of MA will have to grow their own food or starve. The proposed legislation is a joke.

I had this thought about flavors. I bet obesity causes more health problems than smoking. Ice cream contributes to obesity and is unhealthy. Go to an ice cream shop and look at the flavors. They are obviously aimed at children. (Strangely gownups buy them too.) The solution is to ban flavored ice cream. If the law said that all food has to taste bad there would probably be less obesity too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread