Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sounds like my daughter. She's consistently read from 3 to 4 grades higher since 1st grade. She's a word and letters person, I'm a numbers person.

I think it is a Visualization thing.

When I close my Eyes, I Can't see words. But when I look at something like this Total Nicotine = Total Nicotine equation ...

(initial volume) * (initial concentration) + (base concentration) * (X) = (target concentration) * (initial volume + X)

I see the "X" bound up with the initial volume. So it sounds like there will need to be Some Factoring Involved.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
She's a word and letters person, I'm a numbers person.

I think it is a Visualization thing.

When I close my Eyes, I Can't see words. But when I look at something like this Total Nicotine = Total Nicotine equation ...

(initial volume) * (initial concentration) + (base concentration) * (X) = (target concentration) * (initial volume + X)

I see the "X" bound up with the initial volume. So it sounds like there will need to be Some Factoring Involved.

I always thought of math as a language. There's not much difference (to me) between order of operations and subject + verb + object. They're both just systems for communicating meaning in a way others will understand.

Reactions: Katdarling

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wasn't that fond of math in high school and just did it because it was a core course. In college that bit me in the ..... I passed Algebra and aced Geometry and Trig, but fell flat in Calculus and barely passed it.

The teacher agreed that I knew the Calculus and laid out the problems correctly, but my weakness in Algebra resulted in in incorrect answers! It's a good thing that she gave partial credit and deducted points for the mistakes in Algebra and didn't mark the entire two page Calculus problems incorrect because of a few mistakes in the process!

My major was Computer Science. I really didn't need the Calculus to program standard business applications. The programming environment did that stuff for me with math extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread