maxi roughstack...still relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wisco Kid

Nov 28, 2011
New Mexico
Hey there, after a couple years smoke and vape free I have found myself back on the wagon (or is it off the wagon?) Well in any event I'm smoking again so I want to get back to vaping which I not only enjoyed but helped me to stay nicotine free after a couple years. My favorite hardware was the maxi roughstack and I used whatever battery combo gave me 6v and I'm thinking I was using 4 ohm cartomizers (?) my favorite juice was definitely the gorilla juice from alien visions. It seems like a lot has changed the couple years I've been away so I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion one way or another whether I should stick with what I once used or if there is something new and improved that I need to know about. What I liked about the roughstack was that it was durable, powerful and with the cartomizers I never worried about leakage. I'm sure that tanks have come a long way the last few years but if I remember right there was adapters involved in order to use them because of the top mounted button. Am I over thinking this? probably, but id appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Thanks and have a great weekend.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
A lot has changed over the last couple of years, you're right. So much has changed, in fact, it would be impossible to cram it all into this one post.

At first, I was going to tell you that as long as the Roughstack works for you and you enjoy it, it doesn't really matter if it's up to scratch with the latest and greatest gear. While still basically true, I sort of glossed over the fact that you can't get those six volts without stacking batteries. This is really not a safe way to go about things, especially with all of the advances made in PV-related technology since Roughstacks were particularly popular. If you can find a way to get a satisfying vape with a single, high-drain, 3.7v 18650 battery and a low-resistance atomizer (not sub-ohm without proper research), this would be far preferable to stacking two 3v batts. AW IMRs, LG IMR HE2s, and Sony VTC3, VTC4, or VTC5s are all good batteries, just to name a few.

Just to repeat, I really wouldn't stack batteries in any vaping situation. It was never safe, and is even less advisable now considering that there are plenty of good options available these days.

Personally, I think it would be wise to consider an upgrade. It would be well possible to get something much more powerful and versatile than the Roughstack for not much money at all. Something like this would also be phenomenally safer than using a mech mod with stacked batteries. Mechanical mods are still popular, but there are definitely pros and cons to using one. Most tanks do not require adapters for most devices. This post would simply drag on too long for me to continue discussing all the potential options you have in 2015-- especially since you only kind of asked-- but you are welcome to message me directly if you have more questions and certainly there's tons of other information floating around here on the forum.

In short: A Roughstack is fine if you are using a safe (single) battery configuration and appropriate heating element, and while people still use mechanical mods, there are a number of inexpensive PVs available today that can put out much more (and less) power with a higher degree of safety.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I agree. A lot has changed.

Grab a new regulated box mod, Cool Fire 4, Defender 36w, or iStick 30 and a good tank--Eleaf GS Airs tanks are wonderful, inexpensive, don't leak, airflow is fully adjustable, coils can be easily rebuilt... Just for starters.

If you need more oomph, look into simple sub-ohming devices like Kanger Subtank mini--it comes with replaceable coils and an RBA deck.

Good luck and welcome back!

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Stacked batteries have been discussed and so has regulated box mods so I won't go there. If you liked the roughstack and want to stay with something like that there is the Bolt which uses 1 18650 battery and doesn't have that top button and is about as rugged as they come. You could put any 22mm diameter or smaller atty on it.

There are just so many new PVs and attys out there now it'll make your head spin. :)

Here is a good place to start looking APV Discussion | E-Cigarette Forum

Good luck. :)

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Grab a new regulated box mod, Cool Fire 4, Defender 36w, or iStick 30

I agree with this suggestion Katya gave you. As has been stated above, stacking batteries is not the safest practice. A lot of us old-timers (myself included) used to do it back in the day, but nowadays you can get an inexpensive regulated device that can still give you up to 6 volts in a much safer manner since you don't have to stack batteries to do it ;)

Now you don't have to go all-out with completely unfamiliar hardware right at the start. You can still find high resistance cartomizers if those were satisfying to you before, then take your time evaluating what else is new on the market. It might help make the transition easier for you since you'll have something familiar rather than trying to go through new learning curves right from the get-go. The same applies to your juice, since Alien Visions is still around and still selling Gorilla Juice, so you can jump right back in with much the same experience you had before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread