maximum output current

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
looking at coolfire iv from innokin
Maximum output Current:26.5A
what's this about? that seems scarily high to put in my face?

also looking at joyetech evic vtwo 5000mah
can't find the maximum output current listed anywhere
is it relevant to list it?

i keep seeing things about making sure you have the right volts too,
but my current mod it isn't changeable on. don't most just read the atty,
watts, and then determine what the voltage should be when firing?

my heads spinning :(

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Hi mattmc92, welcome to ECF.
A regulated device, like the ones you've mentioned have built in safety circuits. They will not let you push beyond their set limits.
If, when you have a new device or coil, you begin at low power/temp and inch your way up gradually over time you'll be fine. If the vape gets too hot or starts to taste a little burnt turn it back down a bit. The vape you get is more important than the actual numbers.

So whether your in volts/watts or temp. start real low to "break in" the new coil and become accustomed to the vape yourself.

The battery will look after itself. If your device is one that you put your own batteries in just be sure to use good quality high drain batteries. Our ECF battery guru's name is Mooch.
He has put together a list of batteries he's tested and which one's he recommends. Enjoy. Cheers.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
Hi mattmc92, welcome to ECF.
A regulated device, like the ones you've mentioned have built in safety circuits. They will not let you push beyond their set limits.
If, when you have a new device or coil, you begin at low power/temp and inch your way up gradually over time you'll be fine. If the vape gets too hot or starts to taste a little burnt turn it back down a bit. The vape you get is more important than the actual numbers.

So whether your in volts/watts or temp. start real low to "break in" the new coil and become accustomed to the vape yourself.

The battery will look after itself. If your device is one that you put your own batteries in just be sure to use good quality high drain batteries. Our ECF battery guru's name is Mooch.
He has put together a list of batteries he's tested and which one's he recommends. Enjoy. Cheers.

so the max output isnt important and probably won't even get to it?
sorry again. some have it listed, some don't. just seems like there's going to be endless things to learn,
which is fun ! but safety comes first.
so either mod will be fine with the appropriate coils and i shouldn't panic?

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
That is correct, and yes!

If the coil you get for the device has too low a resistance the device won't (shouldn't) function at all.

The lowest resistance number listed for the device is the one to not go under.
Again, the device will (should) not fire one(coil) below it's set lower limit as it would draw power over the batteries amp limit. Cheers.

Reactions: mattmc92

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
That is correct, and yes!

If the coil you get for the device has too low a resistance the device won't (shouldn't) function at all.

The lowest resistance number listed for the device is the one to not go under.
Again, the device will (should) not fire one(coil) below it's set lower limit as it would draw power over the batteries amp limit. Cheers.

thank you ! now i know why amp is relevant, that was the main thing.
i love this community. so patient with noobs !:D

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
regulated mods protect themselves but do not protect batteries. if you use a low capacity battery like some of the cheap junk on ebay you can still cook the battery at high power settings on your mod. they do not sense battery temperature. make sure that you are using a battery that can safely handle the power your drawing

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
regulated mods protect themselves but do not protect batteries. if you use a low capacity battery like some of the cheap junk on ebay you can still cook the battery at high power settings on your mod. they do not sense battery temperature. make sure that you are using a battery that can safely handle the power your drawing

how do you tell that? i just follow mod and coil instructions
i.e my isticks powers 7-40w. my 0.3 coil runs from 30-80w.
therefore its safe to vape between 30-40w, no? now im scared again.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016

the one i'm lookign at buying is 1-80w joyetech evic vtwo
using a crown tank with 0.5 coils 30-100w.
so i can vape in the 30-80w range no problems, with anything.. right?

Reactions: mauricem00

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
You do not need to concern yourself if the battery is built in to the device. It will be designed to perform to it's limits.

If you need to put a battery into the device don't cheap out!
Buy from a reputable supplier, get a quality high drain(a true 20amp or higher) battery and you'll be fine.

Read Mooch and check the chart at the bottom of his blog post,
only IF you need to buy seperate batteries... 18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
You do not need to concern yourself if the battery is built in to the device. It will be designed to perform to it's limits.

If you need to put a battery into the device don't cheap out!
Buy from a reputable supplier, get a quality high drain(a true 20amp or higher) battery and you'll be fine.

Read Mooch and check the chart at the bottom of his blog post,
only IF you need to buy seperate batteries... 18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

thanks for clearing this up. i only buy built ins. more safe.
my thought is: so what if it dies after ayear? for a $60 mod that's only $5 per month compared to $25 a day when i was smoking cigarettes. convenient usb charging etc. feels like a no brainer to me. i understand replacing batteries means longer mod life, but a 18650 capacitor in my hands? i'll be fine :))

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
my thought is: so what if it dies after ayear? for a $60 mod that's only $5 per month compared to $25 a day when i was smoking cigarettes. convenient usb charging etc. feels like a no brainer to me. i understand replacing batteries means longer mod life, but a 18650 capacitor in my hands? i'll be fine :))
You are correct!
Plus...before the year is up your device will probably be beat up to hell and you'll want a new unit anyhoo. Cheers.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So here I go throwing another wrench into the mix. :)

Built-in batteries are more "convenient" with their onboard USB charging, but are not necessarily more safe. Built-in batteries are LiPo chemistry, which is not a safer chemistry -- if something goes wrong, they can burst into flames or explode. They depend upon the processor's protection circuitry to guard against a hard short. The processor's protection circuitry is designed to protect the processor, but does not directly protect the battery.
istick 50 watt exploded | E-Cigarette Forum

Plus, all rechargeable batteries have a limited life expectancy -- about 250 - 300 charge cycles. If you use an mod that uses an internal battery, you can't replace it. When the battery dies, you have to buy a new mod.

External batteries, like 18650's, are a safer chemistry. They are IMR or INR chemistry, which may vent gas but are not likely to flame or explode when something goes wrong. If you use a mod that uses replaceable external batteries, when the battery dies from old age, you simply replace with another battery for about $6, not the entire mod. Safer and more economical in the long run.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?

Last edited:

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
So here I go throwing another wrench into the mix. :)

Built-in batteries are more "convenient", but are not necessarily more safe. Built-in batteries are LiPo chemistry, which is not a safer chemistry -- if something goes wrong, they can burst into flames or explode. They depend upon the processor's protection circuitry to guard against a hard short. The processor's protection circuitry is designed to protect the processor, not the battery.

Plus, all batteries have a limited life expectancy -- about 250 - 300 charge cycles. If you use an mod that uses an internal battery, you can't replace it. When the battery dies, you have to buy a new mod.

External batteries, like 18650's, are a safer chemistry. They are IMR or INR chemistry, which may vent gas but are not likely to flame or explode when something goes wrong. If you use a mod that uses replaceable external batteries, when the battery dies from old age, you simply replace with another battery for about $6, not the entire mod. Safer and more economical in the long run.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?

i understand what you're saying, mostly.
if i follow mod instructions and coil output recommendations.. i will be fine though yes?
if a device has a max output of 24a
and im vaping at 30w with a 0.5coil, that means my battery is putting out 6amps?
and that's safe, right?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i understand what you're saying, mostly.
if i follow mod instructions and coil output recommendations.. i will be fine though yes?
if a device has a max output of 24a
and im vaping at 30w with a 0.5coil, that means my battery is putting out 6amps?
and that's safe, right?
If you are using a regulated mod, it doesn't matter what your coil resistance is. Coil resistance only matters with a mechanical mod. The Ohm's Law Calculator is used for a mechanical mod.

Regulated and mechanical mods work under different rules. Don't be using the wrong formulas to try to figure out mod and battery limitations. Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod

With a regulated mod, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. The processor's protection circuitry will limit the mod's output to its designed specifications. The processor will not fire if everything is not kosher for its design. You'll simply get an error message on the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitmetwice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread