Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
@Imfallen_Angel :

Not sure it is imperative to quote your post for what I have to say. But it certainly puts clarification to our "discussion" and perhaps points out an issue within the volume/weight debate.

Clearly, our vaping lives differ completely. I refer to myself as "the lone vaper" since I never see another vaper in the small town I live in. But you? You should send me your address so I can send you a sympathy card! Mixing for a friend or two, fine. But for a wife and a daughter? And then each wants to carry an extra 2 or 3 bottles with them at all times? Time to start teaching them to mix and buy them a couple extra tanks to carry different flavors. I do hope you are taking this as the "good natured ribbing" it is intended to be!

But seriously, your post points out justifiable differences in mixing method within the by volume or by weight methods in themselves. It would be even harder to apply some of those differences to the volume vs weight debate. But as your post points out, and I hope this one does as well, there are just so many variables involved in mixing that the whole volume vs weight method argument (and it always seems to end up that way) becomes an exercise in futility. That is why I never (at least I hope I have never) proclaimed mixing by volume as wrong or bad. I've even posted that it is probably better in some applications.

I probably should just stop with that, but will comment on your statement:
Lots of things said relate to any method used, and that's been part of the "debate" as many that uses scale seem to absolutely believe that any other method is dirty and messy
I certainly hope commenting on not having any cleanup doesn't imply other methods are dirty or messy (although it would come out pretty messy for me with my tremors). I may have missed some, but I don't recall that terminology and if it has been stated anything near that, I would only hope it was by a few rather then "many." And please don't take this as directed only at you! I can see where the bombardment of "no cleanup" grows old to some. But both sides to this argument face those bombardments, sometimes approaching absurd levels.

Anyway, all is good! I better understand where you are coming from and hope I have done the same from "my side of the fence,"

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
@Imfallen_Angel :

Not sure it is imperative to quote your post for what I have to say. But it certainly puts clarification to our "discussion" and perhaps points out an issue within the volume/weight debate.

Clearly, our vaping lives differ completely. I refer to myself as "the lone vaper" since I never see another vaper in the small town I live in. But you? You should send me your address so I can send you a sympathy card! Mixing for a friend or two, fine. But for a wife and a daughter? And then each wants to carry an extra 2 or 3 bottles with them at all times? Time to start teaching them to mix and buy them a couple extra tanks to carry different flavors. I do hope you are taking this as the "good natured ribbing" it is intended to be!

:thumb: Well, I am gathering that (from what you've said, so correct me if I assume wrong) that you have a small number of recipes, possible only one or two?, at which point, you'd not have much of a requirement other than a few bottles. On my side, I do about 20-30+ bottles, all different recipes when I start "cooking" a batch, including new ones that I feel like trying and so on. Counting my bottles, I remember hitting close to 70 different mixes at some point.

We all have at least 3+ mods with different tanks going at all times that we alternate between.

But seriously, your post points out justifiable differences in mixing method within the by volume or by weight methods in themselves. It would be even harder to apply some of those differences to the volume vs weight debate. But as your post points out, and I hope this one does as well, there are just so many variables involved in mixing that the whole volume vs weight method argument (and it always seems to end up that way) becomes an exercise in futility. That is why I never (at least I hope I have never) proclaimed mixing by volume as wrong or bad. I've even posted that it is probably better in some applications.

It really comes done that using any method, if you do it the same and your recipe comes out the same (or darn close enough as it's impossible to tell), I don't believe that there's an issue for anyone... as I stated already.. one person could use sewing thimbles to measure and be just fine and happy with his method.

I probably should just stop with that, but will comment on your statement:

I certainly hope commenting on not having any cleanup doesn't imply other methods are dirty or messy (although it would come out pretty messy for me with my tremors). I may have missed some, but I don't recall that terminology and if it has been stated anything near that, I would only hope it was by a few rather then "many." And please don't take this as directed only at you! I can see where the bombardment of "no cleanup" grows old to some. But both sides to this argument face those bombardments, sometimes approaching absurd levels.

Anyway, all is good! I better understand where you are coming from and hope I have done the same from "my side of the fence,"

Oh absolutely, I personally would never use one syringe per flavour, nor be afraid of "cross-contamination" to the extent that some appear to do. As I've state already, I take my approach to cooking to preparing my liquids, I can get many done fast, cleanly, make it an activity with my wife or daughter (as they read out the flavours and numbers needed), and so on...

I've tried using a scale, if you read previous posts, you'll see that I described the "why" I simply don't enjoy it, don't find it simpler, nor find it as infallible as some believe it to be.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I just think some people take things way to personally; if some state they feel it's faster or less/no cleanup using such and such method, then that doesn't mean they imply your method is inaccurate or dirty.

If you read this thread, you'll see that some do (unless you have the same people on ignore as I do...:lol:)

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I didn't remembered that, so sorry if I was wrong. I don't have anyone on ignore. Even if I don't agree or like someone, then i'm too curious to have posts auto-removed I must admit. Though thankfully never meet anyone yet I actually disliked, though, just some with differing opinions than mine, which of course is OK. If someone breaks the rules, then just report them.

Honestly i've been a little too opiniated also on this subject previously, but am trying hard to mend my ways, as I realized it's not an atractive or usefull/helpfull attitude to posses.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
When I was making large batches (often 1000ml or more) I would use a combination of methods. Flavors and nic got weighed and then combined with the vg and pg that were measured in to the large graduate/mixing container. But for daily personal mixing I'll stand by the weigh. I just find it so much simpler. When I used syringes I had to wash them thoroughly and remove any hint of odor. Some things like menthol never come out. The biggest thing for me is ditching the syringes, they are the bane of this mixer.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
All of my vaping gear is in my basement and that's where I build, wick, DIY, etc. I do not have a sink in my basement so if I need to rinse or wash something I need to make a trek upstairs to my kitchen. I have glass syringes and unlike the rubber stopper in plastic syringes, I need to hold the plunger or gravity will pull it down and liquid will ooze out, back to the source vessel. This is why I thoroughly rinsed my syringes if I needed to use them with another flavor in order to prevent cross contamination.

I can’t speak for others, but going upstairs and rinsing my syringes, sometimes in the middle of a mix and always at the end of mixing, took more than 30 seconds and the benefit of not having to deal with syringes or rinsing at all is a compelling reason for me to measure by weight instead of by volume. If others use plastic or disposable syringes and this is not a problem, then great! If others don’t really care about cross contamination or are faster at rinsing and drying items than me, then great! I’m not here to tell others what to do or what is right or wrong, I just want to share my experience and my opinions in the hope that it will help others or perhaps based on replies I’ll learn something new.

I’ve tried to put in a bunch of disclaimers. If I’ve still managed to offend someone or if my post results in even minor .... hurt then I sincerely apologize.

I think that I need to draft a standard anti-troll disclaimer to accompany all of my posts on ECF. It probably won't really help, but at least I will have tried.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
All of my vaping gear is in my basement and that's where I build, wick, DIY, etc. I do not have a sink in my basement so if I need to rinse or wash something I need to make a trek upstairs to my kitchen. I have glass syringes and unlike the rubber stopper in plastic syringes, I need to hold the plunger or gravity will pull it down and liquid will ooze out, back to the source vessel. This is why I thoroughly rinsed my syringes if I needed to use them with another flavor in order to prevent cross contamination.

I can’t speak for others, but going upstairs and rinsing my syringes, sometimes in the middle of a mix and always at the end of mixing, took more than 30 seconds and the benefit of not having to deal with syringes or rinsing at all is a compelling reason for me to measure by weight instead of by volume. If others use plastic or disposable syringes and this is not a problem, then great! If others don’t really care about cross contamination or are faster at rinsing and drying items than me, then great! I’m not here to tell others what to do or what is right or wrong, I just want to share my experience and my opinions in the hope that it will help others or perhaps based on replies I’ll learn something new.

I’ve tried to put in a bunch of disclaimers. If I’ve still managed to offend someone or if my post results in even minor .... hurt then I sincerely apologize.

I think that I need to draft a standard anti-troll disclaimer to accompany all of my posts on ECF. It probably won't really help, but at least I will have tried.

I'm not sure what approach I would use if I mixed as you do without an available sink/water source. Even with a scale. but if your workflow is good for you that's all which matters.

Reactions: jpasint

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
:thumb: Well, I am gathering that (from what you've said, so correct me if I assume wrong) that you have a small number of recipes, possible only one or two?, at which point, you'd not have much of a requirement other than a few bottles.

My venture into DIY is clearly not the norm. Sure, it was fueled by the regs to protect my future vaping needs. I stocked up on the necessities and gradually mixed recipes until I had enough that would get me through as I chose to expand my horizons. But I am not going to commit to DIY juice only, yet anyway. Dealing with essential tremors, syringes and pipettes are completely out of the question. Even mixing by weight can be quite an adventure, but I found I can successfully manage some flavors that work. I like to rotate through 5 to 8 flavors a day and I prefer being able to change some of those from day to day. So I have a dozen or so tanks all loaded with different flavors ready to go for quick and easy changes. I have some store bought flavors I really like and will continue with unless the expected (by me anyway) substantial taxation becomes unbearable. Besides, I don't want to use up all my mixing nic before that happens.

Sorry! Getting too long winded. Anyway, I am happy with some store bought mixed in with some DIY for now. The cost alone is not my only criteria as the effort mixing takes for me (some days it is not even doable) could take the enjoyment out of DIY. At my age, I'm not looking to add work to my daily activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread