Measuring Equipment for DIYers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
OMG, you people are so cool it makes me wanna cry...

Davegior, looks like your calculator is Windows dependent so I can't run it, I'm still on an older Mac for a little while longer. An Excel version would be platform-independent, just a suggestion you might want to think about to help my particular minority, I'm not the only one...

Kim, you're in my head! Shane's reverse calc is the exactly the concept I was looking for. Further enhancements ideas: an optional "tweaking" entry line to use drops for flavoring, as that's so common for adjustments? Or a converter section with drops:ml:drops? (I tried to add that myself on the earlier version of the calculator, scaling down) Heck, while I'm sharing my wish-list, the ideal calculator for me would handle both very small batch increments (for experiments, drops) and then some way to take your final perfect recipe and scale it up to whatever size you want, 6-10ml or larger... Maybe easy for the math whizzes, too hard for me...

I think a lot of people would like to track how many mgs they're consuming as they transition over time, so knowing your strength results really helps after perfecting a recipe, for projecting the quantity of juice supplies you'll need, because so many people need to plan ahead with mail order, finances, etc. Not to mention which sales to take advantage of and how big your order should be! I really try to consolidate orders and minimize wasted $ spent on shipping (for environmental reasons also, that's just me). It's the One-Stop concept after all.

BTW Kim, last night I discovered I couldn't put 10 of the 5ml pipettes into my shopping cart, seems you don't have that many in stock right now! Shopping cart said to "try another number." Vendors have the same inventory-management challenges that individual DIYers do, I'm sure.

I'm getting slammed for time with a road trip coming up soon (there's that planning-ahead factor again!) but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the people here, thank you all so much... I probably can't dig deeper into all this until I get a nice chunk of undisturbed time to concentrate, maybe not until Labor Day weekend, holiday respite you know ;) ... I've learned, never mix in a hurry!

Hopefully some others will chime in about their own precision-measurement needs and the solutions they've found, or what else they need for math help, then this thread will be the ultimate go-to Sticky BOMB!

Rock on ECF and One Stop DIY! Keep the great ideas coming and thanks again to everybody as we all try to help each other out!

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Thanks for the info, Kim. I think it will be wiser for me to delay my order a bit now, some unexpected events have been jumping my calendar around. I can already tell I won't have time to do a relaxed mixing session real soon, and I want to really enjoy my first experience with the pump, practice with water first, etc. I am SO psyched for it but you know with DIY, gotta pace yourself LOL!

I have already determined where my lab space will be - now that I know I'll need plenty of elbow room. I'm getting ready, at least mentally!

DIY makes vaping so much more fun for me, want to savor experience as well as flavors... the longer I wait, the more flavors and tools get added to my list!

Everybody sing along: "Anticipation....." :laugh:

ckreef

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Central GA
I have already determined where my lab space will be

I understand the lab space idea. I have a small 2' x 4' table, a retractable fluorescent light that I can move/swing all around, different boxes and holders etc... as my "lab space". It's in a cool basically dark space (unless I turn on lights). I don't have any little kids to worry about so I can leave everything setup out and ready to go whenever I am.

And every few days or so I get to play mad scientist :2cool:

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Me too! I'm just trying to keep my stuff in some kind of order, I have scribbled papers all over the place, pads of paper with dates and mixing notes, finally had an idea: TRY 3x5 RECIPE CARDS. Organize the data better, according to flavor.

I love the mad scientist aspect! Maybe that's why I want better equipment so much? Bottles of juice mixes have taken over my original toolbox of DIY equipment (it's my fast-accessible "cool dark place") so my actual mixing tools and flavors have to live in a closet, still in the mailing box they came in. I want some kind of rack to organize all my PA flavors so I can see their labels easily. Flavorings don't need to be kept in the dark, do they? If not, I know just where I want them in my lab-to-be... I don't have pets or kids or anyone to interfere, so I also can have stuff at the ready, but I want to get things neat and organized to enable efficiency and precision. I've got MUCH more mixing stuff than actual PV equipment.

Kim, you didn't even say what the 1ml pipettes are for - I just WANT them already, LOL! (must.... pace.... myself....)

Are they for the 2ml pump? What are their graduations? Tell, tell! (trying to keep thread on-topic)

Last edited:

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
Yes the 1ml Pipettes will fit on the 2ml pump :)

Flavors from PA have a shelf life of 2 years according to Linda, no specifics on storage but Ive sent her an email for her recommendations. :)

Ours are kept in a cool dry dark area, just cause thats where the space was for shelving.

Personal flavors - Ren uses a large tackle box, mine.. scattered on my desk :oops:

You can use tap water, I believe they recommend distilled so that there is no build up from minerals ect. If you rinse with distilled I would think that would wash away anything that may build up :)

thanks alot!! just ordered alot more flavors!! 12 more for me and my friends to mix and enjoy. thanks alot kim! you're the best!!!:p:p

plerskine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Florida
I put one in your box just in case :)

Got my order, with extra goodies too :) Thank You Kim, and thanks for the mixing brochure too. I will now officially be able to start DYI- well, when I get the PG LOL- knew I'd forget something haha. Order placed. I'm going to have to re-read this thread to figure out how to use the pumps. And wow are those pipettes LONG- do we cut them or use as they are? I love your site and service so expect to see me often :)

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey plerskine!

You're right, those pipettes are quite long. You don't want to cut them, so they will take some getting used to. The wheel at the top of the pump can draw the liquid up with only using one hand, then you can use your other hand to hold the liquid bottle.

Glad you got your stuff timely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread