Mech/Box Mod to go with Magma RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordannn15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
I am planning on getting the Magma RDA by Paradigm because looking at reviews, it looks the best for flavor. I am wondering what mod I should use with it. I plan on mainly building micro coils out of 28g kanthal, so my resistance should be ~1.2 ohms (correct me if I'm wrong).

I love the look of mech mods but hate the voltage drop off. I would love it if I could find a regulated device that looked like a mech. Is there anything like this or should I just go for a mech and not worry about the drop off (I have 4 samsung 18650 30A batteries).

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
The only 30 amp Samsung batteries I know of are ICR and should probably not be used for vaping, especially in a mechanical.
Which ones do you have?

As for which mod, I have used my magma on almost all of my devices. From my mech to a Vamo V2 and a Sig 100W, I can always get great flavor from it even at lower wattages. It's a terrific little atomizer once you get used to the leaking around the airflow ring,

I don't really know of any decent tube-like regulated mods as I've kind of stopped keeping up with new stuff on the market, but anything should be good - my Vamo only goes to 15 watts and even that gives me a decent vape.

Jordannn15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
The only 30 amp Samsung batteries I know of are ICR and should probably not be used for vaping, especially in a mechanical.
Which ones do you have?

As for which mod, I have used my magma on almost all of my devices. From my mech to a Vamo V2 and a Sig 100W, I can always get great flavor from it even at lower wattages. It's a terrific little atomizer once you get used to the leaking around the airflow ring,

I don't really know of any decent tube-like regulated mods as I've kind of stopped keeping up with new stuff on the market, but anything should be good - my Vamo only goes to 15 watts and even that gives me a decent vape.

Sorry I have Samsung 25r 18650's, 25A not 30.

Get a tube and get a regulated box. Best of both worlds and see which one you like more.

I have had the Innoking MVP 3.0 and now I have a Sigelei 100w. I like boxes and I really like that they keep a constant wattage but I want a box mod that looks like a mech, are there any?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am planning on getting the Magma RDA by Paradigm because looking at reviews, it looks the best for flavor. I am wondering what mod I should use with it. I plan on mainly building micro coils out of 28g kanthal, so my resistance should be ~1.2 ohms (correct me if I'm wrong).

I love the look of mech mods but hate the voltage drop off. I would love it if I could find a regulated device that looked like a mech. Is there anything like this or should I just go for a mech and not worry about the drop off (I have 4 samsung 18650 30A batteries).
First off, the Samsung 1865025R 2500mah batteries are 20 amps continuous, not 30 amps.
DSC_0176__42817.1415320602.451.300.JPG
Battery Basics for Mods

Wrapping two identical coils of 1.2 ohm 28 gauge will give you a net resistance of 0.6 ohms.

As a beginner, I'll always recommend a regulated mod over a mechanical mod due to a regulated mod's built-in protection circuitry. However, if you are dead set to use a mechanical mod (no pun intended), get one which is designed to be safer. I use a Silver Bullet. It has a side-fire power switch as opposed to a bottom-fire power switch like most mechanicals. This is more natural (how many bottom fire regulated mods are there - none) and being that the fire switch is recessed, it is less likely to autofire in a pocket or purse.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod & RDA Setup

You can use an Evolv Kick in a Silver Bullet, regulating the battery voltage to your personal settings. Essentually, your un-regulated mech mod becomes a regulated mod.

When using a mechanical mod, the biggest potential danger is when a battery vents in thermal runaway. Your mod essentually becomes a pipe bomb. When batteries vent in thermal runaway, they usually vent from the top. Most mods have their vent holes in the bottom. The Silver Bullet is designed to vent through the fire button where the venting is most likely to take place. Venting batteries may expand in size, blocking the accumulating hot gas from escaping through the bottom vent holes of most mods.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

maybe use a tube mech and a kick module

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I ended up buying a Pegasus clone, plume veil clone, and a kick module that will go from 5-15 watts. I plan on running those three pieces together most of the time and then keep my box setup the same also (sigelei 100w with UWELL Crown tank with prebuilt .25 ohm dual vertical coils at about 75 watts).

No Magma? That's a fine setup you scored. Just fine.

Jordannn15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
No Magma? That's a fine setup you scored. Just fine.

Yeah, watched Rip Trippers video on the plume and magma, he said the flavor was about on par but the plume chucks better. The pegasus, plume, and kick were just under $40 on fasttech. If I like the mech enough I might get rid of my box. What's a good single coil build for flavor under 1 ohm using 28g kanthal (if I don't use the kick)?

Last edited:

Jordannn15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
I decided that I am going to return my sigelei 100w. I ordered a Ipv3 LI 200 watt temp control mod for $70 and got some 28g Ni200 wire. Hopefully this way I can have something to vape on all day without having to change batteries and then I'll have a mech that I can either do micro coils on with the kick module or throw a low resistance build on it without the kick in there and chuck clouds.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I decided that I am going to return my sigelei 100w. I ordered a Ipv3 LI 200 watt temp control mod for $70 and got some 28g Ni200 wire. Hopefully this way I can have something to vape on all day without having to change batteries and then I'll have a mech that I can either do micro coils on with the kick module or throw a low resistance build on it without the kick in there and chuck clouds.
I'm not sure you are trying to be funny but this made laugh pretty hard. :)

Two things,

A micro-coil is a coil with a ID between 1.5 and 1.9mm you can make them spaced or contact.

"Chuck Clouds"... :lol:

FYI:
Rip is the king of Clown Shoes. I wonder if he is doing this new act just to make people sound silly.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

Two things,

A micro-coil is a coil with a ID between 1.5 and 1.9mm you can make them spaced or contact.

"Chuck Clouds"... [emoji38]

FYI:
Rip is the king of Clown Shoes. I wonder if he is doing this new act just to make people sound silly.
Naaa, Rip does the act so we talk about him in threads, like these.

His build skills are fairly undeniable though.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Yeah, watched Rip Trippers video on the plume and magma, he said the flavor was about on par but the plume chucks better. The pegasus, plume, and kick were just under $40 on fasttech. If I like the mech enough I might get rid of my box. What's a good single coil build for flavor under 1 ohm using 28g kanthal (if I don't use the kick)?
Do a 5/4, 2mmID it will ohm out at a .7. Great build with 28g.

Jordannn15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015

Two things,

"Chuck Clouds"... :lol:

FYI:

Sorry when I'm referring to a micro coil, I'm talking about the one Rip does in his tutorial showing the micro coil, macro coil, nano coil, and super nano coil builds (his micro coil is 28g kanthal with an id of ~2mm, forget how many wraps atm). Also yes saying "chucking" makes me laugh.

Do a 5/4, 2mmID it will ohm out at a .7. Great build with 28g.

Will give it a try once my stuff gets here, thanks.

Reactions: Boden

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Sorry when I'm referring to a micro coil, I'm talking about the one Rip does in his tutorial showing the micro coil, macro coil, nano coil, and super nano coil builds (his micro coil is 28g kanthal with an id of ~2mm, forget how many wraps atm). Also yes saying "chucking" makes me laugh.

Will give it a try once my stuff gets here, thanks.

Cool, I was hoping I didn't offend.

Just made a flat basket wire for one of my RTAs. Wrap your head around this :)
image.jpg

That's 1.5mm wide

Reactions: WharfRat1976
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread