Mech mod almost Burned my house down!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaperZen

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2015
Anywhere but Here *~*
I have an Extinguisher mech mod built by Adam Hogancamp. A few days ago I was staying up late to make some juices for the Holiday's. IF I HAD NOT BEEN UP My House would have BURNED TO THE GROUND WITH MY FAMILY IN IT!! As I was sitting at my desk at 4am the Extinguisher started firing the tank on its own!! I was in the other room getting something to drink so it took me a while to find out what the noise was that was setting my dogs off. When I finally found that it was the Extinguisher firing on its own I grabbed the mod and burned my fingers!! I had to hold it like that and open it up to remove the batteries so it would quit. The mod was SO HOT IT WOULD HAVE STARTED A FIRE AND BURNED DOWN MY HOUSE AND KIDS!! If I had not been awake this mod would have started a fire, exploded the batteries, caught all of my alcohol based flavorings on fire plus all of my E-liquids on fire plus all of my other batteries would have exploded in the fire as well!!! GOD was watching over me and my family that night or we would all be dead of smoke inhalation it burned to DEATH!! My Vape desk had enough flammable products in it plus 3 gallons of VG, 2 ounces of pure nicotine, batteries, flavorings, E-liquids and bags of Cotton that it is a time bomb that this EXTINGUISHER ALMOST IGNITED!!!! WE ARE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!!! I have since moved all of my Vape stuff into different areas so it is not such a flammable area! Please be safe about what you keep together!! YOU MIGHT NOT BE AS LUCKY AS I WAS!!!
THIS is the kind of crap that the Media THRIVES on to make vaping look nothing but SUPER DANGEROUS and something that needs to be STOPPED!! BEWARE about leaving batteries in mech mods when not in use!!!

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Sorry to hear, glad your dogs alarmed you and only got hot fingers.

BUT, Im sure there will be all sorts of posts asking some specifics. Most mech have bottom switches but also have a way to turn it OFF. Some are designed to be able to carry the weight of an 18650 battery and atomizer. I have some large atomizers that on one of my mechs does depress under the weight. So I make sure I turn the switch to the OFF position.

Mine came with no instructions, but studied and watched and observed my gear. When I set up my first I would place it down on button on both, and put my ear to it to make sure there was no firing. I got a larger heavier atty, put it down and listened, at first nothing , but waited a while and saw vapor start to come out, I said to myself, This atty cant be left ON, I have to turn it OFF.

Not pointing fingers but, you said

" THIS is the kind of crap that the media thrives on to make Vaping look nothing but SUPER DANGEROUS and something that needs to be STOPPED!! BEWARE about leaving batteries in mech mods when not in use!!!

You are sooooo right, and without some details you are adding to it. Many of us have been safely using mechs for years with no dangerous out comes.

Yes there have been some left on to the point it gets real hot, or some cheaper insulators melt, but other than feeling stupid, we just learn and share the warnings of "studying" and especially STUDY your gear.

I hope this doesnt start a flame war, or any ugliness, but....

Last edited:

VaperZen

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2015
Anywhere but Here *~*

BUT, Im sure there will be all sorts of posts asking some specifics. Most mech have bottom switches but also have a way to turn it OFF. Some are designed to be able to carry the weight of an 18650 battery and atomizer. I have some large atomizers that on one of my mechs does depress under the weight. So I make sure I turn the switch to the OFF position.

Mine came with no instructions, but studied and watched and observed my gear. When I set up my first I would place it down on button on both, and put my ear to it to make sure there was no firing. I got a larger heavier atty, put it down and listened, at first nothing , but waited a while and saw vapor start to come out, I said to myself, This atty cant be left ON, I have to turn it OFF.

" THIS is the kind of crap that the media thrives on to make Vaping look nothing but SUPER DANGEROUS and something that needs to be STOPPED!! BEWARE about leaving batteries in mech mods when not in use!!!

You are sooooo right, and without some details you are adding to it. Many of us have been safely using mechs for years with no dangerous out comes.

Yes there have been some left on to the point it gets real hot, or some cheaper insulators melt, but other than feeling stupid, we just learn and share the warnings of "studying" and especially STUDY your gear.

This is my mod. It is regulated and the button is on the upper side. I also have been using mech mods for years safely. Don't always assume it is the users fault. Give someone the benefit of the doubt first before blaming them for what happened! This was NOT my Fault! Earlier that day about an hour before it went off on its own, I had been Vaping on it. That is why the batteries were in it. I also store all of my batteries in plastic cases when not in use. This was in use an hour before this happened. I don't know what type of surface is non flammable except for metal and the only metal surface in my home is the stove and that wouldn't be good either. I did not put this on here to have everyone tell me why this was my fault! It was NOT my fault. I was just trying to warn people about this happening to anyone. Most people I know that are into DIY also have a desk or shelving area where they keep their flavorings and PG and VG etc... This is normal. Also it is very normal to store all of your Vape equipment there as well. How about everyone just learn something from this instead of attacking the person this happened to?! As you can see in the pics this is not a mod with a bottom firing pin, it was in use earlier that is why the batteries were in it. Do you take your batteries out of your Mod after every Vape?! I didn't think so. I'm sure that everyone posting the negative crap is perfect in every way and has never had anything bad or out of the ordinary happen to them. I'm sure you do everything in life correct and perfect so you think it is okay to tear other people down for not being as perfect. This mod went off on its own! Period! I did nothing wrong to make this happen so get over the criticism and try to learn something from this. It could have happened to anyone without it being their fault! All you Holyier than Thou people go pick on someone that deserves it!!

IMG_20151124_031103669.jpg
IMG_20151124_031051861.jpg
IMG_20151124_032006332.jpg

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have an Extinguisher mech mod built by Adam Hogancamp. A few days ago I was staying up late to make some juices for the Holiday's. IF I HAD NOT BEEN UP My House would have BURNED TO THE GROUND WITH MY FAMILY IN IT!! As I was sitting at my desk at 4am the Extinguisher started firing the tank on its own!! I was in the other room getting something to drink so it took me a while to find out what the noise was that was setting my dogs off. When I finally found that it was the Extinguisher firing on its own I grabbed the mod and burned my fingers!! I had to hold it like that and open it up to remove the batteries so it would quit. The mod was SO HOT IT WOULD HAVE STARTED A FIRE AND BURNED DOWN MY HOUSE AND KIDS!! If I had not been awake this mod would have started a fire, exploded the batteries, caught all of my alcohol based flavorings on fire plus all of my E-liquids on fire plus all of my other batteries would have exploded in the fire as well!!! GOD was watching over me and my family that night or we would all be dead of smoke inhalation it burned to DEATH!! My Vape desk had enough flammable products in it plus 3 gallons of VG, 2 ounces of pure nicotine, batteries, flavorings, E-liquids and bags of Cotton that it is a time bomb that this EXTINGUISHER ALMOST IGNITED!!!! WE ARE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!!! I have since moved all of my Vape stuff into different areas so it is not such a flammable area! Please be safe about what you keep together!! YOU MIGHT NOT BE AS LUCKY AS I WAS!!!
THIS is the kind of crap that the Media THRIVES on to make Vaping look nothing but SUPER DANGEROUS and something that needs to be STOPPED!! BEWARE about leaving batteries in mech mods when not in use!!!

Why did it autofire? What have you determined to be the fault with the device? The sled, button, chip, 510?

Did you contact the builder?
Have any of his other builds had issues?
Did he get a chance to address this before you put dude on blast?

Best of luck
Be safe
I

xdjrailx

Nov 29, 2014
I had a similar situation over a year ago where an rda leaked down and some how got it to fire. The smell actually alerted me to it because I didn't even hear it. The mod was all but glowing hot. Since that day especially on mechs I make sure all batteries are removed when done with use. At least on regulated I believe most mods have a 10s cut off.

Reactions: anavidfan

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    At least on regulated I believe most mods have a 10s cut off.

Yeah, I've always bought regulated for safety. But I don't really trust them as they are mass produced junk. I'd pay for something better but I don't feel there are any guarantees there either.

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    I've had this happen on two regulated's. You can't trust that the built in safety features will work to stop the auto firings. I just stay away from the cheapies, and I know that's not a guarantee to keep it from happening. That's why I spend the money for a good regulated that I trust.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    seems to be a dual batt mech mod with a mosfet; not a regulated mod.

i'm wondering if it's a negative switched mod like the cherry bomber.

btw: to the OP, based on what I read, sounds to me you should stay away from mech mods.

google for adam hogancamp extinguisher doesn't come up with much.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    This is my mod. It is regulated and the button is on the upper side. I also have been using mech mods for years safely. Don't always assume it is the users fault. Give someone the benefit of the doubt first before blaming them for what happened! This was NOT my Fault! Earlier that day about an hour before it went off on its own, I had been Vaping on it. That is why the batteries were in it. I also store all of my batteries in plastic cases when not in use. This was in use an hour before this happened. I don't know what type of surface is non flammable except for metal and the only metal surface in my home is the stove and that wouldn't be good either. I did not put this on here to have everyone tell me why this was my fault! It was NOT my fault. I was just trying to warn people about this happening to anyone. Most people I know that are into DIY also have a desk or shelving area where they keep their flavorings and PG and VG etc... This is normal. Also it is very normal to store all of your Vape equipment there as well. How about everyone just learn something from this instead of attacking the person this happened to?! As you can see in the pics this is not a mod with a bottom firing pin, it was in use earlier that is why the batteries were in it. Do you take your batteries out of your Mod after every Vape?! I didn't think so. I'm sure that everyone posting the negative crap is perfect in every way and has never had anything bad or out of the ordinary happen to them. I'm sure you do everything in life correct and perfect so you think it is okay to tear other people down for not being as perfect. This mod went off on its own! Period! I did nothing wrong to make this happen so get over the criticism and try to learn something from this. It could have happened to anyone without it being their fault! All you Holyier than Thou people go pick on someone that deserves it!!

View attachment 508669 View attachment 508670 View attachment 508671

I'm sure it's just the pics, but I don't see a mosfet. If it doesn't have one, that mod isn't safe, it's know that the switched can become internally welded together due to the amp load. A mosfet (3034) is used to take the load and not run the load through the switch, the reason being is a 3 amp switch can't handle it. Secondly again I can't tell, but if that is an aluminum sled on a metal box, that again is asking for shorts and just for info, DC voltage can arc.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong but from the pics that mod doesn't look to be made correctly, also if you use mechs. you should know to never leave a battery in a mod overnight and never leave an unsupervised battery charging while sleeping. Not saying you do any of these but just some safety info, if that mod though doesn't have a mosfet (3034) I'd get my money back. I also don't see a fuse, many mosfet builders use two 15 amp fuses inline from battery + to 510 pin, each battery is then short protected by 15 amps each. I'm not trying to be rude but I think someone just bought a bunch of parts and said hey I'm gonna make a mod, but didn't really know what they were doing.

EDIT: looked at pics again, that's a fasttech 510 connector 5 for like 12 bucks, a fasttech button 2 bucks, Hammond style B box with magnets, and no mosfet or fuses. There's not even any heatshrink tubing, just hot glue. That's an unprofessional homemade box, worth least than the parts. Sorry but either you made this wrong or you got ripped off.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.

View attachment 508669 View attachment 508670 View attachment 508671

First , I apologize if my post caused you any stress and anger.

I read that last night and I felt bad, real bad. Part of me thought is that really a bad reply? I honestly did not think I was being such a *itch. I did not sleep very well and went back and forth feeling guilty and worried.

I looked and could not find that "Extinguisher" so I had no clue what type it was, the design, etc

Im confused again, is the MOD that you had autofire a mech or regulated.

You posted :
    " I have an Extinguisher mech mod built by Adam Hogancamp. "

Yet on your reply you said:
    " This is my mod. It is regulated and the button is on the upper side"

If I knew it was regulated I would not even have posted since I only have a couple regulated devices, one a Provari and the other by MMV that has a Yihi board.
    I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to regulated devices and would not have attempted to give advise nor criticize.

I really wish that ECF would not add those titles under our avatars. Mine for some reason says "Vaping Master" which is ridicoulous, because Im in NO WAY a master of vaping. ITs not based on knowledge, its based on amount of posts.

Again, what is important here is that you are alright and that the incident ended up with no serious injuries to you, your family and home.

I hope others can help you figure out what went wrong with your regulated device.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Katmar

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    First , I apologize if my post caused you any stress and anger.

I read that last night and I felt bad, real bad. Part of me thought is that really a bad reply? I honestly did not think I was being such a *itch. I did not sleep very well and went back and forth feeling guilty and worried.

I looked and could not find that "Extinguisher" so I had no clue what type it was, the design, etc

Im confused again, is the MOD that you had autofire a mech or regulated.

You posted :
    " I have an Extinguisher mech mod built by Adam Hogancamp. "

Yet on your reply you said:
    " This is my mod. It is regulated and the button is on the upper side"

If I knew it was regulated I would not even have posted since I only have a couple regulated devices, one a Provari and the other by MMV that has a Yihi board.
    I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to regulated devices and would not have attempted to give advise nor criticize.

I really wish that ECF would not add those titles under our avatars. Mine for some reason says "Vaping Master" which is ridicoulous, because Im in NO WAY a master of vaping. ITs not based on knowledge, its based on amount of posts.

Again, what is important here is that you are alright and that the incident ended up with no serious injuries to you, your family and home.

I hope others can help you figure out what went wrong with your regulated device.

The op doesn't know what the mod they have is, it is not a mech. nor is it a regulated device. The pics are of a dual (battery) parallel unregulated box mod, which should have at the very least added to it a mosfet and a resistor. The op may or may not know about mech.'s I'm not sure but I do know the op has no clue about what kind of box mod they have, nor how it is supposed to function. The op also isn't very versed in mods I think because A, hasn't said or doesn't know why it auto fired (I believe doesn't know, which show lack of experience) and B, hasn't seemed to had much to say after saying don't pick on me. I think the op built this after watching too many how easy it is videos but doesn't want to own up to the mistake. I have no clue as well about the supposed builder, I'm guessing it is a facebook seller and the op assumes they are famous, again lack of experience.

This is no different than these other people getting hurt, buying equipment they know nothing about, let alone how to check and see if it is built correctly. Your response was well suited and this is a situation where one needs tall boots to wade in, the op is mad they only have sandals, lol.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread