Not open for further replies.

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
Matt,

There's a TON of good advice in this thread for you. I'm going to reiterate, and add a little to it.

There is, in general, not a BIG difference in the better-manufactured clones than there is in the real thing. Notice there's a qualifier there. Keep in mind that regardless of what you choose, it the end, it still contains a very volatile lithium battery.

Rule #1: DONT SKIMP ON YOUR BATTERY OR CHARGER. Some clones come complete with a clone battery and crappy charger. Avoid that like the plague. Invest the extra $2.00 in a good battery from a reputable store, or order from the manufacturer or their authorized dealers. The same goes for the charger. A bad battery or charger can ruin an otherwise great mod.

I own both clones and high-end mods. I still use some of each daily. As for my toppers, I only go with brands I know, including both high-end and clones. Avoid the Fasttech toppers. As others have said, you won't go wrong with HCigar or EHPro. Not that much more expensive, but they work, and work well. Clones are a good way to get in to the mech mod scene. Once you've developed a taste for what you like and what works for you, and you have the budget, then you can go high-end if you want. There can be a noticeable difference, but not one you will notice as you first get in the door. A Hyundai and a Maserati will both get you from point A to point B, one just tends to look cooler and cost (a LOT) more than the other. One may perform better, but it still accomplishes the same basic task.

As for the best clone, it's the one that works for you. My experience at B&M shops is that people will almost always let you take a hit off of their mods. When you find what feels right, then go for it.

Lastly, we're always here for help and as a sounding board. I've been the recipient of a LOT of good help here, and I know I enjoy being able to give back.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Hcigar Nemesis clone with magnet upgrade seemed to do the trick for me. Now the question is which batteries + rda or rba will you be using?

Batteries are easy. Panasonic/Orbtronic SX30 or Sony VTC5. Anything else is simply less.

In the Nemesis I would recommend the Orbtronic SX30. There seems to be some fitment issues with flat top batteries if a Kick is used.

Very impressed with my Astro clones from Fastech (even more so than the Nemesis clones I have gotten from there although those are good as well (better with magnets in the switch)).
Smooth threading, Telescoping, nice button, nice engraving. Only gripe I have is not a reverse threaded locking ring but for $17 it works, and I don't feel bad if it gets a nick or scrape on it.
I work construction so spending big coin on an authentic mod I would want to carry at work (where it's gonna get nicked, and scraped) just isn't smart IMHO.
I don't cloud chase, and if there is any voltage drop I can't notice it (they work wonderfully for me).
Now if I had a desk job or when I retire, and can carry a vape without fear of potentially destroying it during my daily on the job duties I might like a shiny original mech mod or two (and will probably get a few originals).
But right now I cannot see spending the big coin on an original I will be using in a harsh environment that could ruin it.

That being said I do think that using the original's name, logo, and putting a serial number on it is shady at best.
I don't have an issue with someone who creates something based on another's design but an outright clone (with logos, serials, a makers name, etc) isn't kosher or cool in my book.

Last edited:

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
I do not think there is a single best option IMO. Clones will never perform as good as authentic mods, I have owned both in several models.
However, everyone should vape within their means. Personally, i would rather buy an original that is inexpensive rather then a clone of someone else's design. There is a good way to vape at any price point with original gear.

This. Clones are taking money from those who create new mechs for us to enjoy. If you only have thirty bucks, go buy a k101.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
This. Clones are taking money from those who create new mechs for us to enjoy. If you only have thirty bucks, go buy a k101.

LOL, create new mechs....

Like it's hard to make a flashlight. Funny how mechanical cigarette "mods" can cost well over $200 but a flashlight of almost identical design costs under $10, isn't it? What is even more funny is the cheap flashlight is mechanically more complicated. (Toggle switches are more complex than a peg on a spring)

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
LOL, create new mechs....

Like it's hard to make a flashlight. Funny how mechanical cigarette "mods" can cost well over $200 but a flashlight of almost identical design costs under $10, isn't it? What is even more funny is the cheap flashlight is mechanically more complicated. (Toggle switches are more complex than a peg on a spring)

real or clone?

Sent from 1520

Attachments

• WP_20140329_002.jpg
    WP_20140329_002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread