Mech mod disfigures a e-cig user, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Explosion just happened and messed this guy up, not sure if posted yet.

URL:
Code:
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/e-cigarette-explodes-in-bentonville-mans-face

Link: E-Cigarette Explodes in Bentonville Man's Face

1:28 timemark shows the mod all jacked up. Figured someone might know the models perhaps. Looks like the mechanical mod peeled apart possibly. Sucks for this guy.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Re-wrapped battery+mech mod+sub-ohm tank+ignorance=this. I call BS on the whole "I saw flames shooting out of the garage" bit. It's ironic that a guy in Arkansas got hurt by an ecig though. They have some of the toughest laws in the US. Goes to show that legislation is ineffective. If he had been able to walk into a vape shop and get the knowledge he needed to vape safely, this might not have happened.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Subohm tank with flaky pre-made coils possibly, unknown battery which appears to have vented in a mech with no venting it would appear? I cannot identify any of the components.

"We've heard reports of this happening all across the country..."

kUL0rOR.png

22zAGuz.png

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
The article reads its the Sigelei Fuchai, and the pictures show that. It is not a hybrid. The tank looks like the Smok TFV4.

The battery obvious went under thermal runaway. You can see the negative contact, or the button, took damage. It doesn't look like anything from the battery got on the button, but it's dented, weird. What's interesting is that the tank looks fine and although we don't get a good shot of it, the top cap of the device looks to be intact.

You would expect to see more damage to the device and tank itself if it hurt his face. Regardless, it's obvious the user doesn't know how to operate the device. Prebuilt or screw in coils scream danger on mechanical devices. I'm not sure about this one.

Last edited:

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I really want a Fu Chai, is that wrong? Too soon?

It's not a bad device considering it's copper on the inside regardless of what finish you get. It has the screw adjustments for the 510 and battery rattle as opposed to a floating pin. Insulated negative switch too.

What Boden pointed out is important, it's vent holes are near the bottom, which makes this case kind of odd considering his face was hurt and not his hand.

The article pointed fault toward the battery, but since Sigelei was mentioned I wonder if that will cause any issues for them.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
It's not a bad device considering it's copper on the inside regardless of what finish you get. It has the screw adjustments for the 510 and battery rattle as opposed to a floating pin. Insulated negative switch too.

What Boden pointed out is important, it's vent holes are near the bottom, which makes this case kind of odd considering his face was hurt and not his hand.

The article pointed fault toward the battery, but since Sigelei was mentioned I wonder if that will cause any issues for them.
Its not odd, batteries swell before they vent from the top making bottom venting useless.

By my math pressure built up inside the mod until the top cap threading failed and blew off with about 800 to 1000 pounds of force. Thus busted face.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I've said it before.

1. Premade coil heads and mechanical mods are a disaster waiting to happen.
(That's a TVF4 tank with a triple coil head :facepalm: )
2. Not everyone should use mechanical mods. Know your limitations. Mechanicals are for advanced users who understand he risks and how they work.

This was an example of a novice vaper incorrectly using the wrong gear, and paying for his carelessness.

Education is the way to vape safe.
Know your gear.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Re-wrapped battery+mech mod+sub-ohm tank+ignorance=this. I call BS on the whole "I saw flames shooting out of the garage" bit. It's ironic that a guy in Arkansas got hurt by an ecig though. They have some of the toughest laws in the US. Goes to show that legislation is ineffective. If he had been able to walk into a vape shop and get the knowledge he needed to vape safely, this might not have happened.
Bentonville has several Vape shops. It does not say where he bought it.
Online or in a vape shop.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Batteries vent between the negative casing and the positive pole. They swell like a balloon first.

View attachment 506622
In that picture the top pole supposedly positive where the arrow is pointing to on any battery is also negative casing. Positive is only the small center of the topcap.

That top negative portion is used by engineers to make soldered power packs where every bit of space is utilized efficiently....

18650_pack_zps735cc314.jpg

PB6000_case_battery_zps3f94889e.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread