Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hi guys. For the last couple of days I have been using my mech mod clone from ft for the first time. Using the turtle ship v3. Seems cool, venting seems good. Checking my builds on ohm reader. Using fresh batts, Checking the volts. Just wanted to ask; Is there any difference in the safety aspect of the clones v the authentic? Seems like there isn't much to get to grips with. My switch is good. Has a little ring to stop battery rattle. The 510 connection seems in good working order. Anybody have a link to a page which will show me the pieces and mechanism, how they work for these devices. Any help would be appreciated.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yeah, so long as the quality of manufacture is adequate, you should have no real problems. What you buy when paying for an authentic is better machining (usually), (sometimes) better material-- C145 copper vs. C110, silver or rhodium plated copper contacts vs brass, that sort of thing-- and the brand name.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hi guys. For the last couple of days I have been using my mech mod clone from ft for the first time. Using the turtle ship v3. Seems cool, venting seems good. Checking my builds on ohm reader. Using fresh batts, Checking the volts. Just wanted to ask; Is there any difference in the safety aspect of the clones v the authentic? Seems like there isn't much to get to grips with. My switch is good. Has a little ring to stop battery rattle. The 510 connection seems in good working order. Anybody have a link to a page which will show me the pieces and mechanism, how they work for these devices. Any help would be appreciated.

IF the clone or authentic was designed properly it should make no difference. Not all clones are safe , but equally not all expensive authentics are safe.

Look at the design, see if its well insulated at the switch so your battery doesnt make contact with the battery. See if the top cap is also well designed so its insulated for higher temps and if you use a hybrid make sure the contact is making a safe/proper connection. Make sure it has proper venting, sometimes even with authentics they forget to do that. Sometimes the venting is integrated into the switch and top cap to allow for gasses to escape and not have to have holes in the tubes which some find aesthetically ugly.

Just do as the others have suggested, always check your builds, dont push the batteries above the safe guidelines. Remember no matter how good your batteries are, that if you enjoy really low resistances then you have to replace batteries as much as once an hour or more.

Ive been using mechs for most of my vaping history and yes, I had 2 incidents but because I was aware and the Mech was designed well nothing happened to me or the devices. Knock on wood, I dont do something stupid and end up in the headlines. I am getting to that "old fart" stage in life and forget things so ....

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@anavidfan Thanks guys. Yeah I try and be safe enough. Worries me a little though just because of what you said. I have a circular delran (can't spell it) piece on the switch to stop battery rattle, and a small white (delran, plasticy) sort of thing at the top between the 510 connector and the actual plate which connects the atty and battery. are either of these insulators? Might go back to my vv. Seems easier. BTW, I know your getting to that time in your life but do you remember the incidents??

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
@anavidfan Thanks guys. Yeah I try and be safe enough. Worries me a little though just because of what you said. I have a circular delran (can't spell it) piece on the switch to stop battery rattle, and a small white (delran, plasticy) sort of thing at the top between the 510 connector and the actual plate which connects the atty and battery. are either of these insulators? Might go back to my vv. Seems easier. BTW, I know your getting to that time in your life but do you remember the incidents??

those are indeed insulators, and seems they went out of their way to add more than the minimum. So I think you are fine :)

Yes, I remember the incidents, I just hate to add to all the anti mech news , there are just as many in the headlines for regs catching on fire etc.

But I will, only so you will feel better and learn from me :)

#1 was on one of my last ventures into driving, which I no longer can.... It was a real hot day, over 103 out and about and my car had no air. I was lost, confused, disoriented , dehydrated , a BIG mess. I had my ELA by Super T and had been told it was a safe mech and I believed it, company around for a long, long time.

I was vaping away and noticed it got all loose, like it came apart. Pulled over in a panic and felt it was warm. Put it all back together and proceeded to be lost and vape like a fiend. Again, loose, this time I said I better stop , take the battery out, place it in the case and proceed to be in a panic without the vape.

Got home, looked at my gear, battery looked odd. It had some crusty film on top and bottom, I got on ECF with a photo and YES it vented or at least started to .

I was very lucky that it was so well made and designed that the slight pressure of the gasses made it pull apart.

#2 Guess this could be another "senior moment" or distracted... I was vaping away in my room when someone yelled up to me they that they needed me. I put it on the stand and was downstairs for about 45mins. Came back up picked it up and it was hot. I had put it down without turning it off and the bottom switch was firing.

Again, because it was well designed and the tank was full of 4ml of liquid nothing happened except my nerves were shot. NO damage to either the atty or the mod.

What can I say, user error, I know that batteries should not be kept, used , stored in temp over 100 degrees, so using it every once in a while pushed the battery. In my car the thermometer was reading 105 , could have been hotter because that was the max reading. Battery would have vented in either a regulated or Mech.

I now always turn my mechs and Regs off when I leave the room and take out any batteries from the charger if I leave, just in case.

Hope this settles your nerves and concerns, ANY device mech or regulated has the capacity to have an incident. There are pros and cons on each and some heated arguments have happened in some threads.

But honestly I think we would be more liable to get hurt by each other if we were face to face when it comes to some subjects.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
And Thank YOu Mr Zutankamun, Like the great Dirty Harry said " A mans ( or womans) gotta know his limitations" . I always remember that and part of my big crush on Harry/ Clint.

MOst people think they do, but dont. They read either too much or not enough, and think they know what they are doing, but many times dont.

Things happen and they can happen to the experienced and novice. Many times novices are less apt because most novices usually have instructions/ rules etc fresh in their heads. Look at Evel Knievel, he had a lot of experience.... was he successful or a failure?

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Things happen and they can happen to the experienced and novice. Many times novices are less apt because most novices usually have instructions/ rules etc fresh in their heads. Look at Evel Knievel, he had a lot of experience.... was he successful or a failure?

So true. As we get comfortable with our devices, we may get lazy. I once got a very hot pocket at a wedding reception because I was pretty sure I had locked the switch.

Anybody have a link to a page which will show me the pieces and mechanism, how they work for these devices.

There are a number of Turtle Ship V3 and clone reviews on youtube if you want to see it broken down before you tear it apart. Have fun with your new toy!

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
kinda like my mechs too.... Very embarrassed and YES , I do have a problem :) Only 1 reg.

60f9b66c-29cf-4530-bd94-f63b0788e682_zpsyy9nyrbk.jpg

defd1dd7-ea11-4307-a01b-26d12f818811_zpss58japte.jpg

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Wow. That collection looks really cool. Won't ask you to name them because ill spend all night watching reviews. Id better get to bed. Here in the U.K its late. One day ill have a collection that big. I imagine my pockets will wither at the same time though. Cheers for your help. Goodnight

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Wow. That collection looks really cool. Won't ask you to name them because ill spend all night watching reviews. Id better get to bed. Here in the U.K its late. One day ill have a collection that big. I imagine my pockets will wither at the same time though. Cheers for your help. Goodnight

This is a great time for buying great ones in the classifieds. With all the craze with high power regulateds and the "mech fear" Ive been able to pick up some great ones for practically nothing.

Im still on the fence about keeping the Box. Its a 60 watt and I never use it higher than 10.3. Kinda seems a shame to have it, but its so purdy.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Does your mech have ventilation holes? The main danger of using a mech is if there is inadequate ventilation should a battery go into thermal runaway. This results in a surplus of hot gas being vented from the battery and if not able to escape causes an enclosed metal tube to become a pipe bomb.

Batteries are designed to vent gas, its what keeps them from exploding. They are designed to vent this gas from the positive pole (top). Vent holes in the bottom of the mod are useless if the battery physically blocks the gas from escaping. Therefore, the vent holes should be located at the top end of the mod, where the gas originates from the battery. Unfortunately, most mechanicals have their vent holes in the bottom of the mod.

Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Last edited:
Reactions: Zutankhamun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread