Mech vs Varible devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
no mod is perfectly safe or fool proof. hybrids are more dangerous but the mech. mod will be around as long as there are people buying them.I love my nemesis mechanical mod and just recently ordered a 12 watt kick for one of them. but if you take the time to learn ohms law and build reasonable coils. and test them before firing them. with good batteries mechanicals are safe and more reliable then regulated mods. if a kick fails I can remove it and keep vaping and their is no risk of it auto firing and overheating the battery.. mechanicals don't fire unless you press the button.use the locking ring when you put them in your pocket.

Here's part of the problem.

Actually hybrids ARE safe. The atty attaches to the body.
No 510 threads.

It's mechanicals without center pins that people buy because they have a "hybrid look".

Novice vapers who don't understand their gear slap an atomizer with a prebuilt coil on it and BAM.
Vapers who can't build a coil but want to "look cool".

Disaster due to user error.

Wrong device for the vapers experience level.

Wrong atty for the device.

You Must know and understand your gear to safely short a battery to heat a piece of kanthal, to get your nicotine fix, with a mechanical mod.

Watching A YouTube video does not an expert make.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Mechanical mods are not modified flashlights any longer. And yes they will get regulated.
Enjoy the wild west while you can.
I care about kids who think they know everything and want big clouds getting hurt.

If the industry and it's supporters are not responsible then the regs will be worse.

Ohh for the children......
Please.

We are all adults here.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I own both so this isn't bashing one or the other and I enjoy using both but have started to slide more to the variable side.

With the recent posts on mechs going "south" and folks not taking the time to learn proper building and battery safety is it time for manufactures to start phasing them out? I read a thread this morning from a member that wanted to move to a "cheap mech" and cringed. The majority of the accidents we see are normally mechs (and the isticks ;) )

Wouldn't moving to a regulated market be safer?

I won't ever stop using my mechs but I was scratching my head wondering with all the new technology and power on the regulated side what is the point. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts.
Regulated devices are safer, but not idiot-proof. With higher wattage devices becoming more and more common, and batteries with seriously overstated specs abounding in the market, there are considerable risks. A device has no way of knowing what battery is driving it so it can't protect against the wrong battery being pushed beyond its limits. A single 20 amp battery can't safely be used for more than 60w (120 for two batteries), and a 30 amp one can handle about 85w, and how many are using actual 30 amp-capable batteries? So, for example, using all 75w of the ipv d2 with most of our regular batteries could lead to disaster. I don't know how the Snow Wolf's "pulsing above 150w" actually works, and if it's safe, but there's definite risk with 20 amp batteries. Not sure how the ipv 3 li does its 200w, but if there's no special mechanism in place it'll push even 30 amp batteries beyond their limit at its highest setting.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Safer?
Interesting thing.

I've never seen a mechanical mod automatically fire.

Pocket fire, or fire when standing unlocked is user error and not automatic.

I have, however had a regulated device automatically start firing the atty.
There are several accounts here on ECF.
Safer? Depends on what your definition of "safe" is.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I feel like this has a lot to do with misunderstanding how electricity can flow and the grounds for what makes a good, solid connection.

There are a few threads similar to this, actually a few too many. Bad Ninja seems to be the one to step in most of the time to tell people it's the user overlooking their setup, I have to agree.

The mechanical device's negative and positive needs to be clean and stable for safe use. The resistance load also needs to be stable. Premade coils are often a bad choice on mechanicals because the reading can change if something isn't right in the coil unit itself. This goes the same for a rebuild atomizer, a unstable connection is bad news. Connections need to be isolated from each other too, hence why hybrid style devices don't work properly on flush 510s.

Couple the unstable connections on a mechanical with the unstable connections on an atomizer and it's bound to fail. Things like hot buttons on mechanical devices or battery pitting is also a telltale that a connection somewhere is not very stable.

That being said, I think it's always a good idea to fire a fresh atomizer coil on a regulated device. I also think starting on regulated devices that take 18650 batteries is a good idea to get into the habit of battery maintenance and when to charge

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Folks, please don't turn this thread into a pissing contest.

I posted to get other people's thought and to have an adult conversation. The thread is about regulated and unregulated mods and opinions from members that use both. I was interested to find out what others thought about their current position in the marketplace.

Reactions: KenD

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I currently use ONLY mechs and will continue to do so.

Those calling for more regulations/bans really need to get a life. Mind your own doggone business.
I am not calling for the regs. The irresponsible manufacturers, sellers and users are. I am outta here sorry that some are so touchy.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

I posted to get other people's thought and to have an adult conversation. The thread is about regulated and unregulated mods and opinions from members that use both. I was interested to find out what others thought about their current position in the marketplace.

Your OP suggests a mechanicals are "not as safe" as regulated mods, and that mechanicals had "gone south".

Both are inaccurate.

This issue isn't "mechanicals vs regulated", as that is pure personal preference.

The safety issue is a lack of knowledge and understanding of the gear by vapers unqualified to use it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Does a 30W kick exist?
I don't think they do and if they do not it is not likely that they will exist. A bit harder to make a 30w kick than the others that handle 10W.
Heat dissapation and size becomes an issue. Plus cost and low demand compared to a cheap 30 VV/VW device for not more than twice the cost including an internal battery.
And most people would rather adjust their wattage without taking their device apart to do it.
someone may make them but do not hold your breath for it.

A kick is just where you make the chip in a form factor that it will fit in the standard sized tube like a battery.

Once regulated mods came out, (that's where the chip is just made in the regular rectangular format) the chip was integrated into a mod.

I think there was an evolve kick2 that might have gone higher than 15 watts ?? but that was the last kick I saw before regulated mods started flooding the market.

I've got a 30 watt and a 50 watt vamo chip; they aren't very big; same size as the other vamo boards.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

Actually, the thread title you posted said "mech vs ".
My input has been to point out that a mech is just the container;
Now when you use the term "unregulated" that is a different issue.
I use mechs with kicks. (I also use vamo regulated mods).

But since I use mechs with kicks, even though I as using a mech, I am using a regulated mech.

Reactions: MikeyConti

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Is it really the Actual MODS that are unsafe? Or the Toppers that new users put on them??? An RDA with the wrong build can be bad for both..

93gc40 alluded to it here:

Mechs, don't fail the batteries in them, which by the way, are the same ones used in HIGH POWERED regulated mods, are what fail. Using a regulated mod does NOT remove the risk of battery failure, ONLY lessens it.

I say we need to BAN batteries.

The safety problem is really about the lithium batteries

Reactions: MikeyConti

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Either way my point is its all about the users experience... Research has to be done either way..

OK, then YOU do the research, and the the user manage their OWN risk.. JUST DON'T REQUIRE IT.. I prefer NOT to have to pay for this research, via the cost of vaping. The Cost of research and regulation is WHY I vape instead of smoke. I don't need research to tell me that stupid people do stupid things that can hurt them.
I also KNOW that approx 75% of the cost of a car, is from making it safe.... Yet I'm still damaging the environment, even with emissions reduced by OVER 90%. And people still get hurt crashing into things. I know all the taxes and regulations on cigarettes didn't do anything to make smoking safe. Just more expensive.

Don't make me look for some other way to get a little enjoyment from life.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
OK, then YOU do the research, and the the user manage their OWN risk.. JUST DON'T REQUIRE IT.. I prefer NOT to have to pay for this research, via the cost of vaping. The Cost of research and regulation is WHY I vape instead of smoke. I don't need research to tell me that stupid people do stupid things that can hurt them.
I also KNOW that approx 75% of the cost of a car, is from making it safe.... Yet I'm still damaging the environment, even with emissions reduced by OVER 90%. And people still get hurt crashing into things. I know all the taxes and regulations on cigarettes didn't do anything to make smoking safe. Just more expensive.

Don't make me look for some other way to get a little enjoyment from life.
Okay, idk what your going on with quoting my post. I use Mechs and Regulated mods, and before I did, I did my own research about it.. Im not saying they should Phase anything out because once one thing goes others follow..
Im with Ninja on this one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread