Mechanical Mods in 2016: What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Just 6 weeks after I started this thread questioning the relevance of mechanical mods in the current environment of high powered, high tech regulated devices and swearing I wouldn't join the dripping "culture", here are my new toys !

View attachment 528676 View attachment 528677 View attachment 528679

The Mod is an MCR made in Manchester, England. Copper Nickel 18650 sleeve and firing button with polished stainless steel end caps. MCR put it together this way at my request.
Dripper is an Origen v3. The flavour is in a different class from any tank I've used so far.
Currently using single 28 gauge 2.5 mm Kanthal coil with Cotton Bacon resulting in 1 ohm. 18650 AW IMR Battery rated at 20 amps.

Thank you for all of you who posted here and encouraged me to try this. No tattoos though..........yet!

Welcome to the dark side ;)

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Just 6 weeks after I started this thread questioning the relevance of mechanical mods in the current environment of high powered, high tech regulated devices and swearing I wouldn't join the dripping "culture", here are my new toys !

View attachment 528676 View attachment 528677 View attachment 528679

The Mod is an MCR made in Manchester, England. Copper Nickel 18650 sleeve and firing button with polished stainless steel end caps. MCR put it together this way at my request.
Dripper is an Origen v3. The flavour is in a different class from any tank I've used so far.
Currently using single 28 gauge 2.5 mm Kanthal coil with Cotton Bacon resulting in 1 ohm. 18650 AW IMR Battery rated at 20 amps.

Thank you for all of you who posted here and encouraged me to try this. No tattoos though..........yet!

I know a great tattoo artist when you're ready !

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
I'm still relatively new so I'm staying away from mech mods, but I've seen some members saying that they prefer using their RDAs on them. There's no way I'll try it until I've accumulated enough experience to consider it something I can venture into safely. My question is: Is the general consensus that RDAs on a mech mod will offer a better experience than on a regulated mod? Or is it subjective?

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I'm still relatively new so I'm staying away from mech mods, but I've seen some members saying that they prefer using their RDAs on them. There's no way I'll try it until I've accumulated enough experience to consider it something I can venture into safely. My question is: Is the general consensus that RDAs on a mech mod will offer a better experience than on a regulated mod? Or is it subjective?
Not necessarily I Vape my RDA on my Regulated Mods and I've tried them on friends Mech Mods and I think the flavor that I look for from a Vape is about the same. With one exception; the Mech Mod Vape is hotter for the same length draw. Due to the fact that the Mech Mod is simple dumping the power of that battery right now, and not gradually giving just enough power to get that satisfying flavor; without the heat that could come with it on a short device with an excess of power.
MHO is that Mech Mods are best suited for the Cloud Chasers & Competition styles of Vaping.

Reactions: KayP

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Been using my kayfuns and nemesises for about 2 years, and i've no plans to change that either. :)
I found the setup that works for me, once the shinyitis went away i just settled with mechs.

Ocassionally using RDA aswell ofc.

Sometimes i do feel like i should buy some of the newer stuff, but i don't realy need them.

Main reason i like em is due their durability and longetivity. And ofcourse the aestetics of them, i just love how they look. :) And fits the pocket realy well also.

Reactions: Fyla

Vaper Bob

Nov 27, 2015
London, UK
Not necessarily I Vape my RDA on my Regulated Mods and I've tried them on friends Mech Mods and I think the flavor that I look for from a Vape is about the same. With one exception; the Mech Mod Vape is hotter for the same length draw. Due to the fact that the Mech Mod is simple dumping the power of that battery right now, and not gradually giving just enough power to get that satisfying flavor; without the heat that could come with it on a short device with an excess of power.
MHO is that Mech Mods are best suited for the Cloud Chasers & Competition styles of Vaping.
Surely that depends on the resistance of the coils one builds?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

No.
A mech mod makes for a great backup instead of having to have 2 or 3 regulated mods with questionable centerpins.
A regulated mod gives you flexibility and convenience and information. and short circuit protection.

I'm using an evic vtc mini at the moment; sooner or later I expect to get problems with the centerpin; I think it has like a rubber insulator thing which can flex, so it has a small amount of springiness to it, but eventually I expect that rubber thing to fail, and I won't be able to repair it ............
I was about to say I won't be able to repair it without cutting the top off with a hacksaw but I'm not so sure; just opened up the back and took out 2 screws... not sure what to do after that, but maybe it can be opened up; just not about to risk breaking anything right now.

If regulated mods were made fully serviceable where you could replace any part including the chip, and even run it without the chip if necessary, there wouldn't be a need for the typical mech mod

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City

Without educating yourself about matching up resistance with power, you are likely to get a mismatch moving from a regulated mod to a mechanical mod. It's easier to adjust a regulated mod to fit your atomizer without that additional knowledge. I personally find that knowledge important to better understand how to manage my vape in either case, but not everybody wants to learn more than necessary. For those vapers, a mechanical mod is not as safe, will probably be less satisfying and should be avoided.

Vaper Bob

Nov 27, 2015
London, UK
As the OP here, i don't know if anyone here who cautioned me on using mechs for the first time, is still following this thread.

I'm now using mechs exclusively when I am at home. Never carry them around. I build my single coils to around 1 ohm on drippers and 1.3 ohms on tanks. Using 18650 AW IMRs with 20A rating and Samsung 25s. When batteries power down to 3.7V I recharge. That's pretty safe I believe.

Very satisfying experience using a high quality mech. Unharnessed battery power released by beautifully conductive mechanical switches and tubes and firing up my own coil. The flavour from a good dripper is incomparable. If I read my own original post here, I cringe. :facepalm:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
As the OP here, i don't know if anyone here who cautioned me on using mechs for the first time, is still following this thread.

I'm now using mechs exclusively when I am at home. Never carry them around. I build my single coils to around 1 ohm on drippers and 1.3 ohms on tanks. Using 18650 AW IMRs with 20A rating and Samsung 25s. When batteries power down to 3.7V I recharge. That's pretty safe I believe.

Very satisfying experience using a high quality mech. Unharnessed battery power released by beautifully conductive mechanical switches and tubes and firing up my own coil. The flavour from a good dripper is incomparable. If I read my own original post here, I cringe. :facepalm:
Sounds like you're doing great! I carry my mechs around, but REO's are very difficult to accidentally fire in the pocket. Some tube mechs have really good locking mechanisms, but not all.

Reactions: B2L
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread