Mechanical mods not safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Mech mods are safe if you know what you are doing and take care, follow good principles.

The mech has to be good quality, with good switch and contacts.
You have to build your coils with a resistance that keeps performance within the battery's envelope plus a safety margin.
Your batteries have to be 100% genuine and of the upmost quality.
You have to test before use, and retest if anything changes or mod takes a knock etc.

Use a fuse too!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Mortenhy, whether it's a mech mod or a regular mod, it's a good idea to ask about safety, battery safety in particular. Though you have some built in battery protections that you don't on a mech mod. You have a built in battery, so you can be pretty sure it's genuine and you don't have too much to worry about, though you'd still want to follow basic battery precautions, since it's a powerful battery... i.e. don't leave it turned on in your pocket, don't let temps or watts on your battery climb to insane levels, etc. Don't leave it laying around hot places (I'm in AZ, the interior of my car while parking, I would NOT consider a good choice). Take it off the charger once it's charged, that kind of thing.

Happy vaping!

Anna

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
Mortenhy, whether it's a mech mod or a regular mod, it's a good idea to ask about safety, battery safety in particular. Though you have some built in battery protections that you don't on a mech mod. You have a built in battery, so you can be pretty sure it's genuine and you don't have too much to worry about, though you'd still want to follow basic battery precautions, since it's a powerful battery... i.e. don't leave it turned on in your pocket, don't let temps or watts on your battery climb to insane levels, etc. Don't leave it laying around hot places (I'm in AZ, the interior of my car while parking, I would NOT consider a good choice). Take it off the charger once it's charged, that kind of thing.

Happy vaping!

Anna
Thanks, yes good tips, and even though after I read your post, the tips seem obvious, I have not thought about that.. Thanks for the time..

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
I use a few fasttech mech mods, with the fire button on the bottom. In my pocket, the fire button comes unscrewed from jangling around now and then. When that happens, I think the fire button shorts out and I feel it overheating in my pocket. I would not be surprised if one of these days it burst into flames. No kidding.

Snapshot_20161114_1.JPG

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unhooked, if you really think that? That might be a great motivator *to me* to not shove it in my pocket. My pockets are right next to a body part that I'm really fond of and would HATE to get third degree burns on or lose completely. I'm ah, wow, are you a risk taker in other domains:)? Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm here, but you did say you were not kidding....

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I use a few fasttech mech mods, with the fire button on the bottom. In my pocket, the fire button comes unscrewed from jangling around now and then. When that happens, I think the fire button shorts out and I feel it overheating in my pocket. I would not be surprised if one of these days it burst into flames. No kidding.

View attachment 680967
With proper mod maintenence and usage that doesn't happen.....

If your lock doesn't stay locked. ... fix it or don't put the mod in pockets.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
There is kind of a lock on these mech mods, that involves unscrewing part of the end so the fire button is covered. But that does not prevent the whole fire button from coming unscrewed while it is moving around in my pocket. It is a heavy mod and sometimes I need both hands for other things, thus the pocket.

I've never had it get hot enough to burn me, but it has definitely burned some coils and boiled out the juice. I'm just saying mech mods are truly probably not safe. Great mod for under $7 though!

Snapshot_20170823.JPG

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Could you maybe put something over the bottom for when it goes in your pocket? Some sort of plastic tube you could slide over the bottom? IDK, I understand the need for both hands and such, but I imagine something like that could be easily Gerry-rigged. Clear silicone pipe with the right dimension or whatnot? Depending on how long/often it goes in there, but if it has time to jiggle around and get loose, seems like it might be a reasonably long enough time to take the time to slide it into a protective casing?

Anna

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
There is kind of a lock on these mech mods, that involves unscrewing part of the end so the fire button is covered. But that does not prevent the whole fire button from coming unscrewed while it is moving around in my pocket. It is a heavy mod and sometimes I need both hands for other things, thus the pocket.

I've never had it get hot enough to burn me, but it has definitely burned some coils and boiled out the juice. I'm just saying mech mods are truly probably not safe. Great mod for under $7 though!

View attachment 681049
Best idea would be to pick up a silicon, single battery carrier and quickly pop the battery out and into the silicon case when not in use. Takes maybe 1 minute, in and out, and you don't need to worry. Anytime your battery is getting hot when not vaping is cause for concern. This should be addressed so you do not end up on the news!!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's possible to be safe or dangerous with just about any object, it comes down to knowledge any a desire to be safe.
Imagine two knives, one razor sharp one blunt. The blunt knife is potentially safer, but if you plunge either into your eye socket the result is the same.

Last edited:

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
Vasectomy, Baby!

Any of these practical tips, use a cover, remove the battery, are all reasonable. But my daily functionality is to pop it into my pocket when going into a store or walking around a bit or doing a task. A lot easier to just be aware and careful. I'm just saying, there is an inherent "unsafeness" to some, maybe all, mechanical mods.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You said you thought it would catch fire, man! How is that proving mech mods are inherently unsafe when you continually justify UNSAFE USAGE and continue doing it???? You are by your own words playing Russian roulette, and when something happens, it is not your MOD that's unsafe, you are using it unsafely PER YOUR OWN WORDS and after being TOLD it's unsafe.

Then, the mech mod takes the rap when you BY YOUR OWN WORDS are using it unsafely. YOUR mod is probably not unsafe in the hands of someone who wants to use it safely/take care of it. Argh. How is this point not getting across help, I'm confused.

Doing what you are doing is NOT ADVISABLE. You are getting hot pants! Hot pants on a man are neither attractive OR safe, (to be fair, not on many women either.)

Just... do mech users a favor and print this sucker out and put it with your will/hand it over to the media when/if something happens. I don't understand this type of cavalierness when you have been offered many simple solutions.

The statement "Mech mods are inherently less safe than regulated mods," does not equal "Since mech mods are inherently unsafe, I am going to ABUSE one since it's a gamble anyway."

Well, I guess the vasectomy was a good plan, you might end up with a Darwin award.

Sorry to be harsh, but I just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread