megalodon switch issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
Just trying to make sure I understand the problem. Do you mean it no longer "clicks" into place when you rotate it? If so, that sounds like a ball bearing issue. There is a ball bearing in there, and if it gets dislodged, it won't "click" into place any more. You can completely disassemble the switch, but you have to be careful not to lose the ball bearing (if it's not already lost). You can put the ball bearing back into place. You have to put it in the hole, then press it down (there's a spring in the hole) and hold it there while you push the switch piece back into place. You can hold it in place with a knife or small flathead screwdriver. It's not that difficult once you understand how to do it. The hardest part is trying not to lose the tiny ball bearing in the process. I lost a couple of them trying.

Oh, and it's a 2mm ball bearing. I got some online at, I think, McMaster Carr. Actually, I have about 100 of them. If you find that you need one, let me know and I'll mail you a few.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I think he's talking about the little pin nub on the bottom part of the button that mates up with the hole on the upper button housing. If you remove the adjustment screw/ spring you can use a screwdriver to wiggle up the locking washer on the center post of the button. Once that washer is off you can separate the top and bottom portions of the button assembly. Be careful since there is a small bb and spring in the button housing. Once the parts are apart you can fish out the small rod that press fits into the bottom portion of the button. I used a drop of locktite to keep it in. Once reseated you just reassemble in reverse order. I used a small pair of tweezers to get the spring and detent ball back in place and used a pin punch to depress the detent ball while replacing the bottom button section. Rotate the button to a locked position and use a small socket to put the lock washer back on the center post.

Hope that's not too confusing a description.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
Ah, yes, that's an entirely different issue. I didn't realize that little pin was press-fit in there. That sounds like something that could be fairly easily lost if it comes out.

I think he's talking about the little pin nub on the bottom part of the button that mates up with the hole on the upper button housing. If you remove the adjustment screw/ spring you can use a screwdriver to wiggle up the locking washer on the center post of the button. Once that washer is off you can separate the top and bottom portions of the button assembly. Be careful since there is a small bb and spring in the button housing. Once the parts are apart you can fish out the small rod that press fits into the bottom portion of the button. I used a drop of locktite to keep it in. Once reseated you just reassemble in reverse order. I used a small pair of tweezers to get the spring and detent ball back in place and used a pin punch to depress the detent ball while replacing the bottom button section. Rotate the button to a locked position and use a small socket to put the lock washer back on the center post.

Hope that's not too confusing a description.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
That little bb has caused me more grief than I care to admit :)

Lil bugger only flies out when I'm near shag carpet.

That pin wasn't much better. Normally everything would be fine, but I'm a habitual metal polisher. It must be smooth as glass and as shiny as gold. Every time I'd polish it on the buffer, the pin would work its way out. After using the super strength locktite I've had no problem. Tried super glue but it didn't seem to work out too well.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Great!!!! Yep, the switch can collect some serious grunge. Especially since I carry mine in my cargo pockets when not in use. I found that a .22 caliber bore snake brush from the gun section at Walmart gets the hole for the bottom switch center post really clean. A lil bit of noalox on a qtip and it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread