Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik_Janty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
Denmark
Hey guys,

Okay so let me try to explain why we arent keeping the USB charging!

First of let me say it was the idea initially to get USB charging in it. However, we ended up walking a thin line between functionality and design.

The version you see me smoking in the video is roughly 15cm's long - from end of filter mouthpiece,to end of Baby J. This is a perfect size for it - it has a good physical dimension, and weight, and due to its design it appears smaller than it is.

However, the version im smoking has around 450-500 mAH. While this _could_ be enough, then the battery is NOT removable. This means that if the Baby J's battery dies ( as batteries do ) then the Baby J will die with it.

In order for us to make the battery unscrewable, and retain the USB charging, AND still only have 500ish mAH, we would have to jump up to 17 cms in total length. I thought this was too long, to be honest. It might not seem like alot, but it would be on a daily basis.

The solution we have opted for now, is a much more powerful battery, rated at 900 mAH ( with the option of putting a 1000 mAH battery in there ), and drop USB. While this might seem annoying then you have to consider it in a real world scenario:

We will most likely sell this with a charger that can handle two 900 mAH batteries, and charge those in 1-1.5 hours. Since the battery has 900 mAh, this would probably last you a full day of vaping. If, however it dies on you, then you simply bring along the other battery. And since one battery would charge in around 1.5 hours, this means it will be very hard for you to ever not have a battery fully charged, and for you to be out of juice!

If you then are to buy say 4 batteries, well, you get the picture.

So, even though USB can seem smart at times then we felt that the overall design and feel of the Baby J was the priority here: We wanted this to be something exclusive, something elegant, and cigar-like, something that gives you a feeling of luxury.

We might revisit the whole concept next year based on feedback, but as for now this is how it stays, so we hope you will accept this and support us in our decision to make it this way; it has not been easy to eliminate the USB feature - trust me!

You should also note that the 900 mAH battery is of a JS type equivalent, meaning its not an expensive battery to buy, so it should be easy to stock up on!

/Mik

Mik_Janty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
Denmark
Hi Mik,
Yes, I hear what you say - but for the baby j to be significantly different to the forthcoming batch of new mods I think you will need the usb. Just my 2 pence. :)

Well, time will tell.

We make our products, they make theirs - and then its up to people to choose. It has always been like this, and it always will. Personally, I think it will be hard to beat both the Ego and the Baby J on looks alone - and when it comes to vaping, they both rule, so im not too worried.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Well, time will tell.

We make our products, they make theirs - and then its up to people to choose. It has always been like this, and it always will. Personally, I think it will be hard to beat both the Ego and the Baby J on looks alone - and when it comes to vaping, they both rule, so im not too worried.

I'm sure that you're right, Mik - my Janty stick is used so frequently that I could swear that it's merging into my hand! :)

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
What about making an optional passthrough "housing"? Something that looks like a battery housing & switch with a standard USB port in the end. No battery inside, just used as a standard passthrough. That way you can make the folks happy who like to be plugged in, but still sell the unit standard with batteries. Would you even need a new mold to build one?

Seems like a decent compromise. You could even do this with the Ego.

Last edited:

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Calling vapor "smoke" is ignorance.

Demeaning the needs of a majority of a customer base is just plain stupid.

Either we are all in this together or we might as well just forget about the future. Thanks for the help keeping VAPING legal for EVERYBODY cause I am sure you would rather inconvenience yourself to learn the proper word to use than alienate an entire country.

DW

Mik_Janty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
Denmark

Either we are all in this together or we might as well just forget about the future. Thanks for the help keeping VAPING legal for EVERYBODY cause I am sure you would rather inconvenience yourself to learn the proper word to use than alienate an entire country.

DW

If you have a problem with me saying smoke, instead of vapor -, then feel free to contact Ludo - but keep it out of this thread or i will have a moderator do it for me.

I have stated earlier on why i said what i said, and i have also stated that i could see the points being raised on why not to call it smoke. Its a dead horse, stop beating it.

So unless you have something to say that is relevant to the thread and its topic, then i suggest you go else where and have a bad day.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA

DW

It is way too late in the game for this to be of any concern. We're expecting a ruling on the court case any day now, and I highly doubt that one guy in another country calling it "smoking" is going to sway the judge's decision. It's in his hands now.

I also seriously doubt that the FDA gives a rat's ... what folks in other countries use for terminology.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Hey AngusATAT.

I agree - but lets focus on the thread and its origin ;) I dont want this to turn into a political war - however all of you are very welcome to start a new thread discussing this ;)

Sorry! :)

Let's talk about how you're going to release the Baby J for sale sometime next week, instead. :D

Right after the Tesla Filter, of course.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Hi Mik,
Yes, I hear what you say - but for the baby j to be significantly different to the forthcoming batch of new mods I think you will need the usb. Just my 2 pence. :)

I realize the Baby J is a different product, appeal and target group but the usb is what sold me (and still does) on the JStick. To this day, it is still the only PV I make sure I AWLAYS have with me.

Mik_Janty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2009
Denmark
I realize the Baby J is a different product, appeal and target group but the usb is what sold me (and still does) on the JStick. To this day, it is still the only PV I make sure I AWLAYS have with me.

*ignores AngusATAT on purpose ;)*

Yes i know, and USB is nice to have. But you also have to remember that the Baby J will sport 900 to 1000 mAh, which is far over twice the duration of the Jantystick. so the question is, will you actually need to charge it during the day? I doubt it. And with a charge time of 1.5 hours for two batteries, that means you could potentially charge for 1.5 hours, and then use those two batteries for two days before having to charge again.

;)

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
*ignores AngusATAT on purpose ;)*

Yes i know, and USB is nice to have. But you also have to remember that the Baby J will sport 900 to 1000 mAh, which is far over twice the duration of the Jantystick. so the question is, will you actually need to charge it during the day? I doubt it. And with a charge time of 1.5 hours for two batteries, that means you could potentially charge for 1.5 hours, and then use those two batteries for two days before having to charge again.

;)

Or you could be like me... I can go through four 900mAh batteries in a day in a mod. :D

And stop ignoring me, lol.

HokieSmokie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
www.omigosh.com
I love the USB charging so much on my JantyStick that I own 3 of them. One for home, one for the office and one for my car .. Don't want to lose my Janty Stick like I do the remote control .. any way .. that is my opinion ...

ALSO: I say smoking all the time .. I have said smoking, smoke, cigs etc for 40 years .. as far as I am concerned, I am smoking .. it feels like smoking. In the beginning you had to make clear .. MOBILE PHONE and DIGITAL CAMERA etc.

I VOTE:
USB yes [this is not my decision to make]
SMOKE yes [this is my decision to make]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread