Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
DIY is definitely the way to go. Dead simple to actually do, and cuts your vape expenses by ~90% (the better to spend on mods and tanks ;) ). You can mix by weight or volume. I like volume (syringes) but both will get you to the same place.

You need nic, VG, and PG. After that, you need recipes and the flavorings to make them. Beats what I did in buying a bunch of flavorings with no idea how to turn them into anything. check out the DIY section here with really helpful threads and a subforum of just recipes.
Thanks, I wish I could just take my favorite liquids somewhere and simply get the recipe to make my own.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks, I wish I could just take my favorite liquids somewhere and simply get the recipe to make my own.

There are sites that have lots of clone recipes. This one is good as long as you use Chrome and Google Translate, or if you speak French. Les Clones - Le DIY pour les Nuls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You have to help me... Can you please show me the stuff I need?

I have no idea what flavors you like. I like the grassy taste. I dislike the ashy, moldy and dirt tasting juices along with vanilla, caramel, custard and most all fruit flavors and beverage. There is actually very few actual flavors that I like Grape and Cola are 2 I make regularly and nothing else.. but back to where you should go.
I buy my VG and PG from Essential Depot. I found them on EBay but just went to their site and bought quarts(It was a buy 5 and get for half price) but that was a long time ago and dunno if they still do that. Amazon also but still better to deal with the ED site. This time I bought a glycube for 50 bucks (4 gallons)
I sourced my Nic out of Canada so I would be no help on getting US nic, that requires research and sometimes hit and miss on quality.
BullCity Flavor and RTS Vapes for concentrates I found no difference between the original packaging from BCF and the rebottled from RTS.(RTS is more expensive)
Hangsen (HS) Highway
HS Desert Ship
HS No5
RTS Tobacco absolute
INW Garuda
HS Elder Captain
HS Virginia
FA Virginia- has a slight dirty taste but at 1% its actually not bad
small jug of acetyl pyrazine..adds a nutty, yeasty, bready taste..too much and you get Frito corn chip taste but great flavor at very low percentage.

If your looking to clone a commercial juice you like then I would be no help since I have never dwelled past my HS tobacco blends. There is lots of reading and help in the DIY section in here.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I have no idea what flavors you like. I like the grassy taste. I dislike the ashy, moldy and dirt tasting juices along with vanilla, caramel, custard and most all fruit flavors and beverage. There is actually very few actual flavors that I like Grape and Cola are 2 I make regularly and nothing else.. but back to where you should go.
I buy my VG and PG from Essential Depot. I found them on EBay but just went to their site and bought quarts(It was a buy 5 and get for half price) but that was a long time ago and dunno if they still do that. Amazon also but still better to deal with the ED site. This time I bought a glycube for 50 bucks (4 gallons)
I sourced my Nic out of Canada so I would be no help on getting US nic, that requires research and sometimes hit and miss on quality.
BullCity Flavor and RTS Vapes for concentrates I found no difference between the original packaging from BCF and the rebottled from RTS.(RTS is more expensive)
Hangsen (HS) Highway
HS Desert Ship
HS No5
RTS Tobacco absolute
INW Garuda
HS Elder Captain
HS Virginia
FA Virginia- has a slight dirty taste but at 1% its actually not bad
small jug of acetyl pyrazine..adds a nutty, yeasty, bready taste..too much and you get Frito corn chip taste but great flavor at very low percentage.

If your looking to clone a commercial juice you like then I would be no help since I have never dwelled past my HS tobacco blends. There is lots of reading and help in the DIY section in here.
Thank You, I appreciate any help I can get. I have to really try this time and get this going.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    If Puresmoker hadn't gone out of business, I might have never tried diy. I was hooked on their silver leaf menthol. It took me months with no past mixing experience but I finally came up with something that was close enough that I liked it and still use it. That lead me to the TFA thread and there was no looking back from there.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Thank You, I appreciate any help I can get. I have to really try this time and get this going.

My biggest piece of advice is at least buy a bunch of nic now and stick it in your freezer. Even if you don't start mixing right away, you know you have a stash if nic concentrate suddenly becomes difficult to obtain in the US (yes, if those wonderful FDA folks decide to come down on vaping hard, that's the biggest blow they can throw). I get mine from Heartland ~$45 liter+shipping. There are lots of other vendors wit similar pricing ~$50. Check the DIY forum for others.

Just do the math on that. 1 liter of 100 mg nic can make 10 liters of 10 mg juice. Calculate to your own use (I'm at 6 mg so ~17L). That's a lot of juice for $45 worth of nic. Even with the cost of PG, VG, and flavorings, you're still down to pennies a bottle. Compare that against your retail juice prices. Obviously it only works in your favor if you can make something you like, so recipes are important.

I have ~3L in my freezer right now (probably get a little more as just because) I break down into smaller bottles so I don't have to pull a liter out to get a little bit to use. I have a 30 ml bottle in my mix bucket I fill with nic that is stored with my flavorings and I use that for my actual mixing. That way very little is ever exposed to higher temperatures. The reason is nic will break down a bit over time at room temperature, maybe a year (?). OTOH, nic in your freezer should last many years. Consider it a buffer against risk for your old age.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    I am echoing the DIY thing. I am close to my 4th year of vaping. First three were spent in an agonizing maze of spending enormous amounts of money on juice. Some I loved and re bought. Lots I hated. I flavor chased and the end was no where in sight. I tried DIY by starting small. A few flavors and the main things. For me that was VG, PG and Nic. I used syringes that I bought at the place I bought the flavorings. Used glass from home (old 120ml bottles that I washed out)
    I used this place last. (I would buy 100mg because it is easiest to measure and will last)
    100mg E-Liquid Nicotine*
    Vegetable Glycerin
    Propylene Glycol
    Syringe you need like a couple of each 1ml, 3ml, and 30ml

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Recipes for Dummies

lots of people and places to go to ask for help. Just ask questions and many will give you advice

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    you really do not need much instruction. Some verbal instruction from us on here. If you can make simple food recipes you can do it.
    The thing is, it ONLY seems daunting. You will feel like you might be throwing your money away buying these simple supplies and ingredients. You might feel like 'how can I possibly do this, others might but they are smarter, more creative, know something I don't' etc etc..
    Then after you have done it you are going to think "I cannot believe it is that easy" and you will also think "I cannot believe I can make things I like better than the stuff I have been blowing good money on for years'
    I do not know of any vape meet classes. Never heard of that. We might need to find you someone in PA that will sit with you. Do you FaceBook? There is some FB DIY stuff

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I am echoing the DIY thing. I am close to my 4th year of vaping. First three were spent in an agonizing maze of spending enormous amounts of money on juice. Some I loved and re bought. Lots I hated. I flavor chased and the end was no where in sight. I tried DIY by starting small. A few flavors and the main things. For me that was VG, PG and Nic. I used syringes that I bought at the place I bought the flavorings. Used glass from home (old 120ml bottles that I washed out)
    I used this place last. (I would buy 100mg because it is easiest to measure and will last)
    100mg E-Liquid Nicotine*
    Vegetable Glycerin
    Propylene Glycol
    Syringe you need like a couple of each 1ml, 3ml, and 30ml
    I was very lucky with my first ecig. It was one of the cigarette looking ones and the flavor was just Great. I quit smoking the day I got them. A month later I started searching for that liquid so I could use it in tanks and I got lucky again. I asked in this Forum for some help finding that flavor and found 2 that was similar. Now one is gone. They just stopped selling it.

In the six + years I have been constantly buying other brands trying to find more flavors that I like and there is nothing. Six+ years later and here we are... I need to make my own and stop wasting hundreds of $$$. I gave away all these liquids I didn't like to anyone who wanted them. It amazes me how some people can vape some of those nasty tasting liquids...

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    you really do not need much instruction. Some verbal instruction from us on here. If you can make simple food recipes you can do it.
    The thing is, it ONLY seems daunting. You will feel like you might be throwing your money away buying these simple supplies and ingredients. You might feel like 'how can I possibly do this, others might but they are smarter, more creative, know something I don't' etc etc..
    Then after you have done it you are going to think "I cannot believe it is that easy" and you will also think "I cannot believe I can make things I like better than the stuff I have been blowing good money on for years'
    I do not know of any vape meet classes. Never heard of that. We might need to find you someone in PA that will sit with you. Do you FaceBook? There is some FB DIY stuff
    They weren't classes, they were Vaping conventions or something like that. I almost went to one years ago.

My only issue with making my own is finding the flavor similar to what I use today. They really don't taste like cigarettes. They just taste great. I tried non-tobacco flavors and it didn't work for me. I hated it.

Reactions: Eskie

oldude 61

ECF Veteran
    Nov 22, 2014
    Frankston Tx.
    I wish some of you guys lived close to show me how you do it.

Do they still have vape meets???
    ejuice me up. has a real good calculator. you just enter what you want and it will tell you how much to add to get there. I make 100 ml at a time. I use 100 mg. 50/50 nic. to make it simple I use a meat injector you buy at the grocery store. cut the end off of the neddle. they are 30 ml. your local feed store also sells syringes but their needles aren't as big. there you can pick up smaller ones though for your nic. and flavoring for more precise measurement. and just remember your not building a watch it doesn't have to be precise.

Reactions: ricks

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    So if I buy this, Nicotine Solution - 18mg Liter. What else would I need??? A tobacco flavor and what else?

Given that it really is easy to mix this stuff I'd strongly entourage you to get the 100 mg/ml for $45. Far more cost effective. With that, some PG and VG (I buy it by the liter, I don't need a gallon sitting around the house). I usually get it on Amazon for free shipping and Essential Depot is a solid choice. Some measuring syringes if you don't want to start out with a scale and you can get those at Amazon as well, along with some bottles. After that, it's flavors, and that's where it gets tricky.

Seriously, go into the DIY area and read some of the threads and recipes. You can post what retail juice you're currently using and would like to essentially clone. Frequently someone has already done it and will save you some grief. Then you can order only the flavorings you need to not end up with stuff you'll never really use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread