classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I think Ricks has enough info to get started in DIY, let us attempt to keep this Merlin thread on topic for all current and future visitors. :)

right...and Ricks, you can always start a 'Help Me Start DIY Please' thread in the DIY Forum
There is already some great reading for beginners tho... :)

Reactions: ricks

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
My biggest piece of advice is at least buy a bunch of nic now and stick it in your freezer. Even if you don't start mixing right away, you know you have a stash if nic concentrate suddenly becomes difficult to obtain in the US (yes, if those wonderful FDA folks decide to come down on vaping hard, that's the biggest blow they can throw). I get mine from Heartland ~$45 liter+shipping. There are lots of other vendors wit similar pricing ~$50. Check the DIY forum for others.

Just do the math on that. 1 liter of 100 mg nic can make 10 liters of 10 mg juice. Calculate to your own use (I'm at 6 mg so ~17L). That's a lot of juice for $45 worth of nic. Even with the cost of PG, VG, and flavorings, you're still down to pennies a bottle. Compare that against your retail juice prices. Obviously it only works in your favor if you can make something you like, so recipes are important.

I have ~3L in my freezer right now (probably get a little more as just because) I break down into smaller bottles so I don't have to pull a liter out to get a little bit to use. I have a 30 ml bottle in my mix bucket I fill with nic that is stored with my flavorings and I use that for my actual mixing. That way very little is ever exposed to higher temperatures. The reason is nic will break down a bit over time at room temperature, maybe a year (?). OTOH, nic in your freezer should last many years. Consider it a buffer against risk for your old age.
This is happening now in UK and EU TDP regulations in may 2017 max nic 2% in no more than 10ml sizes unless bought now an stashed , I even bought a second small fridge freezer for it an my DIY juices , better safe than sorry , it will be an underground currency soon lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
This is happening now in UK and EU TDP regulations in may 2017 max nic 2% in no more than 10ml sizes unless bought now an stashed , I even bought a second small fridge freezer for it an my DIY juices , better safe than sorry , it will be an underground currency soon lol

There also going to make your local diy juice makes look an act like dope fiends too , selling you the odd diy mix on the sly, as long as i can get my base Liquids Im good for a long while. But wish i had bought a larger fridge freezer now [emoji3]

Reactions: Eskie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Well I didn't solve my Merlin seeping completely but I did corral it enough that after using the merlins regularly for the last few days the seeping consists of a mark on a Qtip swab, nothing like it was before, it would almost completely wet the swab.
I did put 2 orings into Merlin #1, the stock oring plus another thin oring I had to stretch over the base then twist the air flow ring in place to get the thin oring into the groove then tap together, that Merlin seeps very little but leaves a noticeable mark on a qtip but not seep onto my hitter and I see juice on the bottom of the atty. The airflow ring is somewhat tight so it doesn't move on its own. The airflow ring moving and adjusting is IMO some of the cause of it seeping.
Merlin #2 that the oring in the base was missing(from the factory) and it seeped like crazy, enough to leave a square mod ring on my desk. I had that one taken apart and never put it back together. I have a pile of orings so I found 1 that more or less fit inside the groove but wasn't thick enough to do much good. I tried a few small thin orings that I have around from old attys, that I have to stretch over the base. I did find a oring from the bottom of a TFV4 head, it stretched on nicely without breaking, became very thin then tapped it all back together. The airflow ring is now super loose since I didn't get the other oring to fit properly into the groove(not thick enough) but it almost stopped the seeping. I did cut a Qtip shaft and stuck it into the airflow so the ring won't move on its own and block off the airflow. It ain't pretty but now I wipe a qtip around the base and all I get is a little mark of juice on the swab and see almost no juice on the bottom of the atty unlike before where was seeping down the side of my hitter.
I just couldn't see myself giving up or shelving these merlins, they vape just too good for that. Its a major bandaid solution but I can leave my merlins on top a adjustable pin hitter and not worry as much about messing up the electronics from seeping juice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I might try another new one I bought that is in storage. I kinda miss it.

Has anyone tried the new 3.5 ml Merlin?

It's out already? I don't know how I can fall out of the loop this easy.

Edit: I just went to the Augvape site and they still have the option 1 and 2 renderings up. Have they decided which one they'll release. I saw it on a preorder on 3F, but the same renderings.

Reactions: MMW

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Crap.
I had asked for some advice on Reddit about whether it was a good idea to grab 3 of these as my first RTA.

I needed to IMMEDIATELY get away from spending $3(+) on coils for my ooooold Halo Reactors (version 1 - bottom fill... rebranded Freemax Starre V1's).

I had seen so many good comments about this Merlin tank, and had a good response about it on Reddit - went ahead & ordered em, and then I dove into this thread (& the one on that "other" forum that has initials VU) - and now I see that they ALL end up seeping?

Should I just send these buggers back the second they get here on Monday?

& grab 3 OBS Nano's?
or 3 iJoy Exo RTA's?
(I also dove through the whole OBS Nano thread here - which led me to the Exo thread, but kind of got disheartened in both... saw many of you posting in both.)

or should I keep em & just deal with the seeping?
Is it minimal? Or am I gonna be killing my mods?

I tend to vape at 50 to high 50's with SS .25 DVC coils in the Reactors. (can't go back to Kanthal).
& most of my juice is Max VG (or 70%+).

I suspect building & wicking dual coil tanks would be too much fiddling for my patience threshold.

(& Merlin Mini's WAY too tiny for me, btw... 4mL+ ... any suggestions?)

Thanks in advance :toast:

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I would keep them. Some people get no seeping. I bought four. The first one didn't seep at first but got worse over time. The second one was about the same. I then put them in storage and bought some different rta's to try. I ended up getting a third one out to try simply because I love the flavor I get from them. So far I get minimal to no seeping.

Reactions: MMW

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    @SmokieTreats

That's a tough choice you need to make. You have great tanks coming and you hear about others... hittman is correct tho, some didn't have any leaks at all. Mine didn't leak and I use very thin liquids. The Merlins are a great tank that is easy building and easy filling.

Now with the Engine Nano's, Some had no flavor... but I get great flavor with mine.

It comes down to some they work and some they don't... only you can decide what works best for you.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I have 2 with no seeping, so it certainly is variable. That said, the easiest and most leak resistant tank will be an Engine. Opinions seem to vary on the nano's performance, but the dual coil versions seem more consistent. Also, building a dual coil is no harder than a single, you're just doing the same thing twice.;)

hertigg

Verified Member
    May 11, 2015
    I have two merlins I have been using every day since I got them in July last year. No seeping on either of them. I have easily gone through 2 liters of juice between the two of them. I have a third merlin with the shorty kit that I have set up for mtl that I have used every day I am at work since December and no seeping on that one either.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    or should I keep em & just deal with the seeping?
    Is it minimal? Or am I gonna be killing my mods?

Its a hard call to make whether to keep them or not. Its the heating and cooling of the pressfit base that begins the cycle of seperating thus seeping or as in my case a oring missing that was inside the base. You have to get a couple sockets and tap them back together to tighten them up and that curves some of the seeping until they begin to separate again.
    Not moving the airflow ring. IMO moving the airflow ring moving promotes the seeping process. I BS fixed that by sticking a qtip shaft into both the slot and that helps either by not having the ring move or pushes the ring down to better stop juice getting past.
    You can't let the merlin sit ontop a mod that has a floating pin overnight or any length of time, spin it back a couple turns so it sits above and it doesn't seep as much onto the mod or remove it totally then wipe the atty before putting or screwing back into place. I put a drip tip oring onto the merlin 510 so it won't sit against the mod, then unscrewed the merlin pin out to make contact. To help keep the merlin pin tight you can make a small rice shaped tinfoil or a kanthal ball and put it inside the threads and thread the pin in. Be CAREFUL thats a very soft copperish pin the merlin has and will strip easily, thats a trick to hold the fire buttons in place for some of the old mechs that fire buttons would come loose.
    Its annoying to have them seep but the quality of vape and ease of rebuild the seeping can be overlooked somewhat but I still won't buy another augvape product unless I research it to death to be sure they aren't going to be pressfit.
    Search my name in this thread and I made a short crappy video of how to break it apart and several pics of the merlin broke apart and my merlin adventure trying to stop the seeping to no avail.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    Xanth Nebula
    Alright, well, it doesn't seem like anyone is saying "Hell no! Don't keep em! They're a nightmare!"
    Or "Get THIS one instead..."

I'm not a "hobbyist". I don't see myself getting excited about building challenging coils for fun. (I've got some pre-rolled SS Clapton coils from AVS, and a spool of Fused [28-2/40] SS Clapton wire, as well as a spool of regular 24awg SS316 to experiment with).

I had picked up an Aromamizer and a Billow V2 (I think) awhile back, in an attempt to improve the quality of flavor and possibly eliminate the need to buy expensive prebuilt coils.

Building coils didn't bother me a bit.
    Never got the hang of wicking.
    I know it's not rocket surgery, but I got really impatient and just pif'd em both off to a friend - and went on with spending $3(+) per coil (including tax & shipping).

Dealing with wicking two coils correctly every time I need to rewick was what headed me down the path of single coil RTA's.

That, and the hope that I might cut down my juice consumption a bit? I dunno.
    Also, building a dual coil is no harder than a single, you're just doing the same thing twice.;)

Also... as an RTA newb... with a tank that possibly "seeps"... how will I be able to tell if my tank is "seeping", or if it's "leaking" due to incorrect wicking?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread