Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
I just gotta say that I'm thrilled with the flavor I get out of this tank.:shock:

For my first build, I just threw in one of the pre-rolled AVS Triple Core Fused Claptons (3mm ID 6-wraps... came out at .27 ohms)

Did the low wattage pulsing & squeezing & strumming method from their video to get rid of hot spots, & threw in about a 10mm wide strip of cotton pad.
Fluffed the ends, cut em, fluffed again & cut & wet it a bit before sticking it in the cups, & pushing it back a bit from the JFC holes at their tops, making sure there was no cotton near the air flow area in the center.

Got it filled & got right to vaping deliciousness.
No muss, no fuss.

& no leaking or seeping (yet).:thumb:

I'm really excited to clean up the other two and get to work on setting em up later tonight.

Thinking 7 wraps would've been even better, as others on Reddit had suggested they liked. & if AVS hadn't been out of stock on 7 wraps that's what I'd be using, but I got a 15-foot roll of Dual Core (& a 10-pack of 6-wrap Dual cores too... might try those in the next two tanks since the resistance is closer to .37 on them), so will get to wrapping my own coils soon.

Loving the flavor/vape on this tank with this juice at 60-65 watts the best. It's just a bit too warm. I took it as far as 75 watts, but no flavor improvement. Just got hotter.

Night & day difference to my sub tanks.
Glad I had beginner's luck on the wicking.
Hope it continues. :)

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I just gotta say that I'm thrilled with the flavor I get out of this tank.:shock:

For my first build, I just threw in one of the pre-rolled AVS Triple Core Fused Claptons (3mm ID 6-wraps... came out at .27 ohms)

Did the low wattage pulsing & squeezing & strumming method from their video to get rid of hot spots, & threw in about a 10mm wide strip of cotton pad.
Fluffed the ends, cut em, fluffed again & cut & wet it a bit before sticking it in the cups, & pushing it back a bit from the JFC holes at their tops, making sure there was no cotton near the air flow area in the center.

Got it filled & got right to vaping deliciousness.
No muss, no fuss.

& no leaking or seeping (yet).:thumb:

I'm really excited to clean up the other two and get to work on setting em up later tonight.

Thinking 7 wraps would've been even better, as others on Reddit had suggested they liked. & if AVS hadn't been out of stock on 7 wraps that's what I'd be using, but I got a 15-foot roll of Dual Core (& a 10-pack of 6-wrap Dual cores too... might try those in the next two tanks since the resistance is closer to .37 on them), so will get to wrapping my own coils soon.

Loving the flavor/vape on this tank with this juice at 60-65 watts the best. It's just a bit too warm. I took it as far as 75 watts, but no flavor improvement. Just got hotter.

Night & day difference to my sub tanks.
Glad I had beginner's luck on the wicking.
Hope it continues. :)
That's great to hear. Keep us informed with the others.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
The OBS Engine Nano

hahaha:laugh: I know you are a die hard fan of OBS Engine Nano...

IMO, it is a very well-thought, meticulously designed tank, indeed! I like almost every aspects of its structure. I am also aware there are many complain about its lack of flavor, which to me is a mystery claim.:glug:

OBS Engine Nano is one of the 6 tanks in my daily rotation: IJoy EXO, 2 Merlin, extended length Goblin V3, Ammit and OBS Engine Nano. I build 4mm coil with all of them and only use single coil deck, OBS Engine Nano. is good in delivering flavor and definitely NOT the last one in term of flavor quality among the 6 of them.

To me, its only weakness is, there is no way to wick it such that ejuice supply will be prompt enough to catch up my burning with the 4mm coil for DL. Thing become worse if I use a Notch coil or coil with wire that is beyond 24ga. I really enjoy a good vape with it (DL) with 5 to 6 wraps of 4mm, 24ga of SS316L coil.

Let me show you my OBS Engine Nano under a beautiful sunshine:
OBS engine nano.jpg

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
hahaha:laugh: I know you are a die hard fan of OBS Engine Nano...

IMO, it is a very well-thought, meticulously designed tank, indeed! I like almost every aspects of its structure. I am also aware there are many complain about its lack of flavor, which to me is a mystery claim.:glug:

OBS Engine Nano is one of the 6 tanks in my daily rotation: IJoy EXO, 2 Merlin, extended length Goblin V3, Ammit and OBS Engine Nano. I build 4mm coil with all of them and only use single coil deck, OBS Engine Nano. is good in delivering flavor and definitely NOT the last one in term of flavor quality among the 6 of them.

To me, its only weakness is, there is no way to wick it such that ejuice supply will be prompt enough to catch up my burning with the 4mm coil for DL. Thing become worse if I use a Notch coil or coil with wire that is beyond 24ga. I really enjoy a good vape with it (DL) with 5 to 6 wraps of 4mm, 24ga of SS316L coil.

Let me show you my OBS Engine Nano under a beautiful sunshine:
View attachment 651813
Beautiful set up.

Have you tried a smaller size coil in these? When I first got my Nanos, I was using 3-4mm id coils. Another member here suggested using 2mm and the flavor was even better. I was always using large coils in all my previous tanks and going smaller blew my mind with the extra flavor in these.

Just a suggestion...

Reactions: Eskie

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Beautiful set up.

Have you tried a smaller size coil in these? When I first got my Nanos, I was using 3-4mm id coils. Another member here suggested using 2mm and the flavor was even better. I was always using large coils in all my previous tanks and going smaller blew my mind with the extra flavor in these.

Just a suggestion...

My problem is not with the flavor but its wicking.
I am afraid smaller coil with less cotton will make thing even worse... particularly if I make a long DL draw.

Anyway, I am curious about smaller coil produce better flavor and will sure want to give it a try.

Reactions: hittman

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
My problem is not with the flavor but its wicking.
I am afraid smaller coil with less cotton will make thing even worse... particularly if I make a long DL draw.

Anyway, I am curious about smaller coil produce better flavor and will sure want to give it a try.
It didn't make sense to me. How could a smaller coil make more flavor... But it did for me in these.

CrAzY...

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
SPEAKING of crazy...
I just set up my 2nd Merlin with one of the AVS pre-rolled Dual Core Fused Claptons (3mm ID 6-wrap at .39 ohms) and loaded it up with some Adirondack Sagamore.

Holy s:censored:t!
I have entered flavor city!

FRYD Oreo in one hand and Sagamore in the other - :w00t: - I think I felt my brain melting from the flavor overload.:vapor::drool:

My vaping just got turned up to 11.

And while you guys are talking about different coil sizes - any recommendations for these Merlins when I build?
Considering all my liquids are 70%+VG - would there be a better size than 3mm ID?

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
SPEAKING of crazy...
I just set up my 2nd Merlin with one of the AVS pre-rolled Dual Core Fused Claptons (3mm ID 6-wrap at .39 ohms) and loaded it up with some Adirondack Sagamore.

Holy s:censored:t!
I have entered flavor city!

FRYD Oreo in one hand and Sagamore in the other - :w00t: - I think I felt my brain melting from the flavor overload.:vapor::drool:

My vaping just got turned up to 11.

And while you guys are talking about different coil sizes - any recommendations for these Merlins when I build?
Considering all my liquids are 70%+VG - would there be a better size than 3mm ID?
I always used 3-4mm in mine.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
I always used 3-4mm in mine.
But you're 100% PG MTL, right?
Is there a different recommendation for coil size for DL with high to max VG?

Also... do I also have to close off the AFC when I fill up?
(I have been so far - just not sure if I need to.)

And should I close off the JFC when the tanks are sitting?
The AFC?

@AlterUrEgo was saying that he thinks movement of the JFC (in general, I think) tends to lead toward the seeping.
I don't want to have to move it more than I have to if that's the case.

I got my third one going QUICK.
I'm realizing that I like a warmer vape, so I went with the Triple Fused on the 3rd one.

No wicking problems yet!
That's really surprising to me, as the newb that I am.
(sorry for all the newb questions. I'll probably have more.)

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have been using 26/32 kanthal Clapton in my merlins since I got them with a 3mm diameter. I have no complaint in the flavor department. I also use 70/30 and I think it wicks fine but I usually run lower watts on the merlin. I like the 16mg lemonade I use in it at around 20-22 watts.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    But you're 100% PG MTL, right?
    Is there a different recommendation for coil size for DL with high to max VG?

And should I close off the JFC when the tanks are sitting?
    The AFC?

@AlterUrEgo was saying that he thinks movement of the JFC (in general, I think) tends to lead toward the seeping.
    I don't want to have to move it more than I have to if that's the case.

I got my third one going QUICK.
    I'm realizing that I like a warmer vape, so I went with the Triple Fused on the 3rd one.

No wicking problems yet!
    That's really surprising to me, as the newb that I am.
    (sorry for all the newb questions. I'll probably have more.)
    Post all the questions and comments you want... It's why the forum exists.

When I first got my Merlins I refilled them with the air and liquid closed. For some reason that I can't remember, I started refilling mine by taking the base off and filling the tank upside down... It just made it easier I think.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I never tried that but I can see where not adjusting the jfc every time you fill might make less wear on it and less likely to seep. The third merlin that I got out a few weeks ago isn't seeping or leaking yet. Maybe this one will be a good one.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada

My theory behind not touching the airflow ring is that there is a oring inside the base(you have to break the base apart to see it) that is only there to add friction to the airflow so it doesn't spin freely, not to stop any juice that seeps to the oring. Once juice gets under that oring you should notice the ring spins very easily and a shine of juice inside when you close the airflow. Like I said in another post I jammed a qtip shaft into each side of the airflow, that hasn't stopped the seep but slowed it down a lot.
    I have never closed the airflow in my Merlins or TFV4's to fill, just don't overfill or go too fast but IMO a lot has to do with how its wicked. I do once in a while get a burp leak but I think thats to do with overfilling then once you set the cap you create a airlock that forces juice out the airflow thus maybe disturbing the wick enough to have to reset the wick back into place.
    The part about the seeping is that juice is now where it isn't suppose to be and in time with the heating if the base especially running nasty low coils with high power that juice will begin to turn sticky and maybe get funky so it might begin to taste or smell off then your forced to break it apart to remove the funkiness.
    Another aggravating thing is that I've broken my 2nd merlin glass trying get the tank apart. That tank no matter how softly and carefully you spin the cap back after filling just wants to glue together and the glass is wafer thin and super fragile. Now I have 1 merlin out of commission until the slowboat from China arrives with reinforcements.

Here's a shot I've posted before of the Merlin base broken apart....
    Merlin%202-1.jpg

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    Xanth Nebula
    I have never closed the airflow in my Merlins or TFV4's to fill, just don't overfill or go too fast but IMO a lot has to do with how its wicked. I do once in a while get a burp leak but I think thats to do with overfilling then once you set the cap you create a airlock that forces juice out the airflow thus maybe disturbing the wick enough to have to reset the wick back into place.
    ok... so, I think that answers another question I was going to ask.

The VERY first time I filled my first tank, and the 2nd time I filled my THIRD tank - right after filling & closing, I noticed that the juice level just started going *BLOOOOOOOP* down really quick.

SUPERfast dump.
    (guess that's a "burp leak"?)

I was at a loss as to why, but suspected it had something to do with filling too fast - and/or that it was way too full (only a bit over a mm, maybe 2 air pocket).

I adjusted the wicking both times, but it didn't SEEM off.
    What the hell do I know?
    (not much... yet.) o_O

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    It didn't make sense to me. How could a smaller coil make more flavor... But it did for me in these.

CrAzY...
    1. Assuming you always use the same wattage, smaller coil means more heating to the juice within range.
    2. Smaller coil also means less obstacles to air flow.

Just recently, a vape shopkeeper also told me that some tanks simply work better with smaller coil. So, you are not alone.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I was at a loss as to why, but suspected it had something to do with filling too fast - and/or that it was way too full (only a bit over a mm, maybe 2 air pocket).

Something else I could add but its more prone to the TFV series of attys is that after you open the top, tilt the atty and see if there is a juice film over the fill slot. With the TFV the jug tip goes through the film but doesn't break it and if not broken it causes a airlock then you end up with a mess. Ever since I began looking and removing the film by just blowing on it my TFV has never leaked while filling. Merlin has the 2 slots so its less likely a juice film airlock but still could happen randomly. I only assume overfilling and too fast causes the merlin to dump but also how the wicking is covering the juice holes for the airlock or added juice pressure to shift the wicking enough to dump more than just a bit of juice.
    Wicking is a personal preference of material and procedure that may work for me but not for you, thats bloody aggravating until one day it just clicks, thats why I don't agree with a lot of dryburning and wicking techniques found in YouTube videos.
    I wick with rayon and its a totally different beast compared to cotton but both materials have the thinning of the tails in common and thats key to efficient wicking along with nice straight flow of the fibers. Too thick of tails choke both cotton and rayon especially if your packing too much into the juice wells of the merlin.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    Xanth Nebula
    Wicking is a personal preference of material and procedure that may work for me but not for you, thats bloody aggravating until one day it just clicks, thats why I don't agree with a lot of dryburning and wicking techniques found in YouTube videos.
    Just wanted to add a quick update to say that I finally had my "Aha!" moment with wicking, after seeing this guy's easy-to-understand video (wicking description starts at about 7:45):

All the other vids I saw on there just showed people jamming everything full of cotton, but what made the difference for me was what he showed about filling the deck with cotton, & tucking the cotton up to the tippy-top of the JF holes.
    (I was doing something similar, but didn't have any cotton on the deck, & was kinda covering the holes partway... but now I've got PERFECT wicking - even for chain-vaping).:banana:

Still no seeping on any of the 3 tanks, & they only leaked 3 times when filling up a freshly cleaned, rewicked tank. I had no idea why that was happening, since I wasn't refilling too fast or too full (I didn't think).

Seems clear now that the reason it happened was because I had no cotton on the deck.
    Newb mistake.
    Live & learn.
    (loving these tanks, btw)

Last edited:

ccwaters

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 31, 2013
    Minnesota USA
    Simple fix for a seeping Merlin.

So I got a Merlin in a trade deal, it was tossed in as a freebie, it seeped quite badly, didn't feel like pulling the base apart, and came up with the following.

You'll need:
    1 10x1 o-ring (good & stretchy) the one I used is silicon.

I've not looked through my o-rings yet, but an 8x1 would probably be better as the 10x1 adds a slight gap, and pops off when you pull the tank, it is very slightly to big. Not a big deal, it works, and stopped the weepy devil in its tracks.

Wick got messed up when I pulled the tank off ignore it....

EDIT: Dug out an 8x1 fits perfectly and eliminates the gap.

6xhvi78.jpg

syBPJDK.jpg

CakF42J.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread