1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

MICHIGAN: Why Snyder may veto e-cigarette bills that would prohibit sale to minors

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by oplholik, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. oplholik

oplholik Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    By David Eggert

Associated Press

LANSING — Gov. Rick Snyder is signaling that he may veto legislation to prevent minors from buying electronic cigarettes because he does not think it[​IMG] would go far enough and regulate the vaporizers like traditional tobacco products.
    “I’ve had issues with that bill,” he said last week, adding that it will get “special attention” and extra review. “Is it a tobacco product or not?”

Why Snyder may veto e-cigarette bills that would prohibit sale to minors | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

2. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    We need Michigan vapers to immediately contact Governor Rick Snyder’s office and ask him to sign Senate Bill 668.

After the Michigan Legislature overwhelmingly passed Senate Bill 668, we need your help in contacting Governor Rick Snyder to encourage him to sign this important legislation that will prohibit minors from purchasing vapor products (e-cigarettes).

(This CTA utilizes the CQ Roll Call system to make this very easy to send a letter. It also has links to compose your own email or letter as well.)

Call to Action:
    CASAA: Call to Action! We need Michigan vapers to immediately contact Governor Rick Snyder's office and ask him to sign Senate Bill 668.

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Senior Member

Snyder is a pretty smart guy. Has done pretty well by us.

4. QRXT

QRXT Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    While I do not agree with the previous post, I will not comment on it.

I've sent my email and will be making the call as well. Hopefully many more will join me!

5. CabinetGuyScott

CabinetGuyScott Super Member ECF Veteran

Here's my letter to Snyder:

And here's the comment I added to a Facebook link-share to the CASAA page:

6. tyleris12

tyleris12 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sent mine earlier today!

7. JohnnyDill

JohnnyDill Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I sent mine just now. I edited the letter by adding my opinions regarding tobacco vs vaping. :)

8. JohnnyDill

JohnnyDill Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Rant on: Republicans? Democrats? -Two sides of the same card. The same political machine. Big tobacco is in bed with politicians. Big tobacco wants e-cigs to be taxed as equivalent to tobacco for obvious reasons. We need to fight this, tooth and nail. Rant off.

9. Edwardo

Edwardo Full Member

i disagree

10. Bobbilly

Bobbilly Super Member ECF Veteran

11. Luisa

Luisa Super Member ECF Veteran

Good! And good for you.

12. SensesFailed

SensesFailed Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oh look.. Another Republican against vaping.. can certain posters now drop the whole only dems crap?

Dems or Repubs, they are both the same... well.. most of them anyway.

13. Berylanna

Berylanna Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    As a lifelong Democrat until recently, I know how to appeal to Democrats a lot better than I know how to appeal to Republicans, so I explore that and post about it and try to get better at it. I think Republicans (and nurses, politicians, lawyers, doctors, cops, first responders, and ESPECIALLY anybody in media) can contribute to finding arguments that resonate in those groups. The same sentence that will get one group on your side can send a different group running. I learned this in years of watching the business/sales dept interact with the engineering dept.

If you can't be multi-jargon-al (like multilingual only with catchphrases and jargon) confine your speeches to targets you know well, and we can win. It makes a difference who the audience is when we speak. It does NOT make a difference what party they are when we try to vote a stupid ANTZ out of office. But, welcome to minority status, vapers! It's been a shock for me and I already knew SOME of that stuff from watching other political, social, ethnic, or vocational minorities. Different to be there myself.

14. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  15. QRXT

QRXT Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  16. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's good. But.... the House had 18 no votes - 16 Dems and 2 Repubs (including Haines). And yet there are similar 'doesn't go far enough' statements made by some who also voted no.

... But State Rep. Henry Yanez (D-Sterling Heights) thinks e-cigarettes need better regulation because they contain the highly addictive drug nicotine.

see video... good vendor demonstration too :) well informed - better than the Dem Rep. - he co-sponsored the bill but voted against it.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24925498/let-it-rip-weekend-e-cigarettes-pet-cokes-comeback

Dian Slavens (D-Wayne)

Rep. Dian Slavens Opposes E Cigarette Bill | Video Library | State Representative Dian Slavens

17. Bill Oso

Bill Oso Senior Member ECF Veteran

Let the government do the parenting for us! Legal age for fast food and soda and candy 21!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.