Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Have you guys determined if cotton will last as long as say bamboo or embroidery thread? I'm about to make a purchase is why I'm wondering. Seems cotton would burn right up.

It doesn't though. Even when I HAVE singed it, it tasted just like new after a good squonk. The best part is you can pull out the old wick and push a new one thru the coil anytime ya damn well please for less money than it probably took to pay for the electricity to power my battery to write the average post.

I have been rewicking every day or two - not for any reason other than I felt like it. The wick was fine. As easy as it is, I have not tested the longevity of a rolled cotton wick.

Personally, I have a hard time imagining why I would ever run anything else.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)
After reading a recent post by Juicejunkie regarding surface area vs coil diameter, i decided to try what i would call a micro coil. I was already using tiny diameter coils, but wanted to take it a step further. I wound a very small diameter coil using one of these picture hanging nails (with the large head). I chose that because the big head was easy to grip and provided a good scrunching mass.

It is tiny in diameter - exactly 1/16" O.D. It is 10 or 11 (cant focus on it cause its so small) coils wide. I already threaded a piece of rolled cotton thru it to prove to myself that it could be wicked - it is that small. The I.D. Is barely larger than the era/hornet Allen wrench.

I had to quit to go pick up the young ones, but I will meter, install, photo and post the operation later.

Please can you give the link to Juicejunkie post about this matter? thks
FOUND ...was sticky and I cuold not see it...

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Please can you give the link to Juicejunkie post about this matter? thks
FOUND ...was sticky and I cuold not see it...

Here it is...

Originally Posted by fatherdano

how does the diameter of a coil affect the vape?

my coil was 1.7 but the loops seemed a little big, the vape has tailed of a bit

This is juicejunkies post:

I try to make mine look like Hanna's (in my dreams) because I am/was an HH.357 1.5 fan for their flavor. - more tight coils. The old Vapage 1.5s hybrids had large 2-3 loop coils and weaker flavor, so I figure surface area is important. It's been working for me with minimal effort and I enjoy my Reomizer as much as a just broken in HH.357 on day 2, each and every day I use it.

Down side is the long thin tube is hard on cotton wicks, but it's easy enough to change them.

Last edited:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I like the setup. It is more ohms but equal or better vape than less ohms wIth larger dia coils. There isn't much flavor in unflavored nic, sort of tastes like a Marlboro light. I like it. I would recommend the setup and request opinions from flavor groupies.

Going to have to give it a try next coil rebuild.It will give me something to tinker with this weekend! Now that I have Hornets on my REOs I need something to do ito fill the void of looking for something better! Thanks for the insights. :)

bourzia

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just tried this with my hornet. I got a 1.3 ohm coil with 7/8 wraps 30g kanthal around my eyeglass screwdriver. Getting the wick through was a little tricky, but it's working really well so far.

not sure why, but I hadn't had a lot of luck with cotton wicks until this. I'm glad though, cause I'm just about out of silica.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I didn't get my ERA today:(
I was really hoping, but I bet the current winter storm slowed it down. I had it shipped to my work address because I thought for sure it would be there by today. I am off tomorrow and wont be back at work until Monday so I guess I will have to practice being patient.

Or you can have a trusted coworker notify you if it arrived, swing by, grab your atty and begin the first day of the rest of your life?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I just tried this with my hornet. I got a 1.3 ohm coil with 7/8 wraps 30g kanthal around my eyeglass screwdriver. Getting the wick through was a little tricky, but it's working really well so far.

not sure why, but I hadn't had a lot of luck with cotton wicks until this. I'm glad though, cause I'm just about out of silica.

Thank you for your opinion! Did you try it with a flavored liquid? Was the flavor more intense? I'm glad you like it. I have been enjoying the same wick with no loss in production.

bourzia

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pittsburgh
Thank you for your opinion! Did you try it with a flavored liquid? Was the flavor more intense? I'm glad you like it. I have been enjoying the same wick with no loss in production.

Yes. I used some bobas bounty. I definitely noticed some better flavor!

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
Or you can have a trusted coworker notify you if it arrived, swing by, grab your atty and begin the first day of the rest of your life?

I have been thinking about that, and if my work place wasn't 55 miles away that is what I would be doing :laugh:

I have been sitting here this morning trying to come up with an excuse to go up that way that my dh would agree to. No time today, but maybe tomorrow if I find out it has arrived. :D

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I have been thinking about that, and if my work place wasn't 55 miles away that is what I would be doing :laugh:

I have been sitting here this morning trying to come up with an excuse to go up that way that my dh would agree to. No time today, but maybe tomorrow if I find out it has arrived. :D

Damn. That's a tough one...

I kinda hate to drive far, so I would probably wait. On the other hand, as excited as I was to try it, I probably would have driven to get it. Now that I know how sweet RBAs are, I definitely would drive to get it, however, definitely not worth starting the weekend off on a bad note because husband doesn't understand how much it means to you! My SHCW doesn't understand how much vaping means to me either. She will only be happy when the only thing I am inhaling is o2. But I plan to vape til I can no longer breath.

I feel for your anxiety about the RBA. I am the same way. If my wife was just like me, life would suck. We'd be broke.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA

If it's any consolation, I think we ordered the ERA at the same time, more or less, and mine hasn't arrived yet, so maybe the weather has delayed it's arrival. Doesn't help much, I know, but at least you're not alone in the boat :)

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I have a question about this small diameter(many wraps) coil vs. fewer wraps(larger diameter coil). I believe the resistance (ohms) is determined by the length of the wire and gauge of the wire. For the sake of argument lets take the gauge factor out and consider using the same gauge for all examples.

IF you have one inch of wire its going to have a certain resistance. Lets say its 1 ohm. if you wrap that 8 times around a small wick its one ohm. If you wrap it 3 times around a fat wick its still 1 ohm. THe amount of surface contact between the wick and the coil is one inch for both coil setups. You really are not gaining any surface contact area that I can see and the ohms remain the same. In fact the larger wick maybe more efficient in wicking than the thinner coiil. My conclusion would be that using the same qauge wire the only difference would be with the wicking as the ohms and the surface contact between wick and wire would be the same.

Now this is where I really get confused. Does using a thicker wire with more wraps give a better vape than a thinner one with less wraps? THe thicker wire gives less resistance (less ohms) than the thinner wire. For arguement sake lets say the thinner wire has twice the resistance of the thicker wire. One inch of the thinner wire gives the same ohms as two inches of the thicker wire. The thicker wire therefore has double the contact with the wick than the thinner wire has with the wick. Is this the reason that many believe its a better vape? I'm thinking that perhaps with the longer wire producing the same amount of heat over its length, therefore dispersing the heat more, that it all evens out. I am not sure of this though.

My brain is twisted up now.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I have a question about this small diameter(many wraps) coil vs. fewer wraps(larger diameter coil). I believe the resistance (ohms) is determined by the length of the wire and gauge of the wire. For the sake of argument lets take the gauge factor out and consider using the same gauge for all examples.

IF you have one inch of wire its going to have a certain resistance. Lets say its 1 ohm. if you wrap that 8 times around a small wick its one ohm. If you wrap it 3 times around a fat wick its still 1 ohm. THe amount of surface contact between the wick and the coil is one inch for both coil setups. You really are not gaining any surface contact area that I can see and the ohms remain the same. In fact the larger wick maybe more efficient in wicking than the thinner coiil. My conclusion would be that using the same qauge wire the only difference would be with the wicking as the ohms and the surface contact between wick and wire would be the same.

Now this is where I really get confused. Does using a thicker wire with more wraps give a better vape than a thinner one with less wraps? THe thicker wire gives less resistance (less ohms) than the thinner wire. For arguement sake lets say the thinner wire has twice the resistance of the thicker wire. One inch of the thinner wire gives the same ohms as two inches of the thicker wire. The thicker wire therefore has double the contact with the wick than the thinner wire has with the wick. Is this the reason that many believe its a better vape? I'm thinking that perhaps with the longer wire producing the same amount of heat over its length, therefore dispersing the heat more, that it all evens out. I am not sure of this though.

My brain is twisted up now.

LT, electronically speaking, you are probably correct in regards to ohms and resistance factor between the two. I, being relatively virginal to the whole vaping game and RBA's don't know enough to know what I don't know yet! But I have began to love to experiment with this stuff, so I am driven by curiosity, guided with common sense (and street smarts) and blessed with you good folks knowledge.

What prompted me to try this coil was surface area from a hydrology standpoint.

Kinda picture a wet pipe - what happens to the water if held so it is longways horizontal? It runs down to the bottom and the top gets dry quick.

That in mind, I thought of the small coil / wick and theorize that the juice would quickly settle to the bottom in a thicker wick scenario resulting in less moist wick in contact with the entire surface area of the hot coil resulting in less vapor production? Splitting hairs? Probably.

Additionally, I understand that too much liquid cools the coil (take the top off RBA and observe how the coil doesn't get red when you hit it when the wick is wet) so I also theorize that if too much liquid is present (thinking thick wick) vape production may not be optimum? Splitting hairs? Probably.

Bottom line is I really have no clue about any if this stuff from a numbers standpoint, but I love to screw around with everything in life ( including people's minds!!!) so that has led me to ask the questions, extrapolate the knowledge, apply common sense and a whole lot of guesswork. This forum just gives me a place to share all of the hair splitting my insane in the membrane mind conjures up. I'm already trying to figure out what more i can do to tweak the coil and rolled cotton wick!

All this coming from a guy who couldn't find the rolled cotton in the box - I thought it was the wrapper. No joke. Ask Hildicat.

Thanks for your feedback LT! Rock on!

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT

So..I was tinkering last night and here are my findings. First I tried using the hex key that came with the Hornet. Made 8 tight wraps slipped a sliver, I mean SLIVER of cotton wick thru. It was a tiny coil and threading the wick was a challange but worked. Came out under 1 ohm. the wick was soooo thin and vaped hot. I then tried a little bit bigger coil using a thick sewing needle which was slightly bigger than the hex key but smaller than the plastic extension from a WD 40 can that I have been using and been satisfied with at 5 wraps/ 30 wire at 1.35 ohms. The needle size worked great as I found that with the slightly smaller coils I could get the coil/wick closer to the feed hole on the Hornet which then produced stronger throat hit with out losing plumes of vapor.
So in the end the smaller coil did make a difference!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
So..I was tinkering last night and here are my findings. First I tried using the hex key that came with the Hornet. Made 8 tight wraps slipped a sliver, I mean SLIVER of cotton wick thru. It was a tiny coil and threading the wick was a challange but worked. Came out under 1 ohm. the wick was soooo thin and vaped hot. I then tried a little bit bigger coil using a thick sewing needle which was slightly bigger than the hex key but smaller than the plastic extension from a WD 40 can that I have been using and been satisfied with at 5 wraps/ 30 wire at 1.35 ohms. The needle size worked great as I found that with the slightly smaller coils I could get the coil/wick closer to the feed hole on the Hornet which then produced stronger throat hit with out losing plumes of vapor.
So in the end the smaller coil did make a difference!

Dude! You went MICRO micro! Off the chain my man. That hex key is tiny! It fits with no problem in my micro. You are a badass for attempting to go so small bore! I think that what is key is the small amount of fresh liquid that it takes to wet the tiny coil gives improvements to the vape quality over a thicker wick. I think hydronics are the bigger factor than the ohms.

Cotton also seems to be the media best suited to this setup.

I like it.

Please keep us updated on further advances in coil micrology.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
LT, electronically speaking, you are probably correct in regards to ohms and resistance factor between the two. I, being relatively virginal to the whole vaping game and RBA's don't know enough to know what I don't know yet! But I have began to love to experiment with this stuff, so I am driven by curiosity, guided with common sense (and street smarts) and blessed with you good folks knowledge.

What prompted me to try this coil was surface area from a hydrology standpoint.

Kinda picture a wet pipe - what happens to the water if held so it is longways horizontal? It runs down to the bottom and the top gets dry quick.

That in mind, I thought of the small coil / wick and theorize that the juice would quickly settle to the bottom in a thicker wick scenario resulting in less moist wick in contact with the entire surface area of the hot coil resulting in less vapor production? Splitting hairs? Probably.

Additionally, I understand that too much liquid cools the coil (take the top off RBA and observe how the coil doesn't get red when you hit it when the wick is wet) so I also theorize that if too much liquid is present (thinking thick wick) vape production may not be optimum? Splitting hairs? Probably.

Bottom line is I really have no clue about any if this stuff from a numbers standpoint, but I love to screw around with everything in life ( including people's minds!!!) so that has led me to ask the questions, extrapolate the knowledge, apply common sense and a whole lot of guesswork. This forum just gives me a place to share all of the hair splitting my insane in the membrane mind conjures up. I'm already trying to figure out what more i can do to tweak the coil and rolled cotton wick!

All this coming from a guy who couldn't find the rolled cotton in the box - I thought it was the wrapper. No joke. Ask Hildicat.

Thanks for your feedback LT! Rock on!

Thanks for the response. There are a ton of factors at play with this quest for the "perfect vaping coil" Wicking, coils, what one likes in a vape, RBA,wire size, pg/vg mix etc. It is fun to play around with though. I tend to find something that works for me then I stick with it and then i try something else once in a blue moon. I think that just because it works for one person, it does't mean its the best for everyone. I tend to lay back in the bushs and when I see a strong consensus merging then I'll give it a go..not exactly leading edge here. I bought an RBA about 2 months after everyone that used them raved about them. What's the point I'm makin? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread