Micro Coil for the RBA on your REO

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
I'm sure more experienced people will contribute better info, but...

I've found the balls are wrapped in a certain direction. If you pull from the side of this direction you will get longer strands of cotton. With the grain, so to speak. When I first started using them I always pulled off too much and it jammed in the coil. Would have to strip some away. The stuff expands quite a bit once it gets wet. You don't need to force it thru the coil. If you are - you're using too much.

Once you pinch off a bit from "the side of the roll" start twisting it between your fingertips. This will twist it into a crude piece of string. Wet your fingers (water, spit, VG...) to assist in getting it started. Once you've got it spun into a strand, focus on spinning the tip as tight as you can. Then thread that tip thru your coil. Next, use your fingertips to slowly pull thru the coil by the little twisted tip.

Don't worry about length. Easily trimmed with little scissors once you're done.

I struggled at first. Stuff seemed to pull apart too easily. But now I can make one in a couple of seconds. Small learning curve and the stuff is so cheap. It is just as easy to make a micro-sized one as a larger one after a few practice tries. I figure I spent about 20 cents since I started using cotton balls, LOL.

Last edited:

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
garinco covered it nicely. Let me just re-emphasize what he said about the wick expanding. Out of all the cotton types I've used the "cotton balls" and the "cotton gauze" expand the most; so you don't have to worry too much about making your wick snug with the coils. You want to leave enough space to accommodate the expansion. You will get used to it with trial and error (probably after 1 or 2 attempts.) The upside to this is that you don't have to work as hard to thread the wick through the coils because your wicks when dry will be smaller than yarn, etc.

Here is an excellent wiki post by TomCatt on using cotton:

MyWikkaSite: Cotton Wick Wiki

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I picked up some organic cotton balls, does anyone have tricks they use to get them through a coil?

Yes, separate a very small section. Twist it up between your fingers. It helps me to moisten my fingertips with a wet paper towel. Twist one side into a tiny point. Trim the very tip to eliminate any stray fibers and thread it thru the coil.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
Great explanation on the cotton as wicks. It took me a day or two of using the cotton to get used to the taste, but now I think it is better then the silica. On of the best advantages is how easy it is to switch out the cotton. I just pull it out dry burn the coil a couple of times and then insert the new cotton wick. I have started changing mine twice a day just because I can. :D

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
DSC04552.jpg

In preparation for my VV grand, I pulled the perfectly fine 1.51 ohm micro from my V2 and made up a 12 (0r 13) wrap micro (1.7 ohm) for the it. I also made up a new 10 (or 11) wrap micro (1.51 ohm) for the V1. I will run the larger one in the V2 on the VV grand and am slumming with the other on my grand.

Just realized that I need another grand so I will have a mechanical backup to my mechanical mod.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
View attachment 189052

In preparation for my VV grand, I pulled the perfectly fine 1.51 ohm micro from my V2 and made up a 12 (0r 13) wrap micro (1.7 ohm) for the it. I also made up a new 10 (or 11) wrap micro (1.51 ohm) for the V1. I will run the larger one in the V2 on the VV grand and am slumming with the other on my grand.

Just realized that I need another grand so I will have a mechanical backup to my mechanical mod.
While I heartily agree that you can never have too many reos, I am waiting for robs new creation before making another purchase. I have three vvgs and a grand and was considering another mechanical mod till I saw his latest teaser posts.

Btw- the micro coils are working great though I feel I need to change wicks daily for the best flavor, and I did pop one last night after some way aggressive cleaning and an attempt to reposition while still installed. I know better than to go pulling and picking on a coil like that. I guess I just got a little too cavalier.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
While I heartily agree that you can never have too many reos, I am waiting for robs new creation before making another purchase. I have three vvgs and a grand and was considering another mechanical mod till I saw his latest teaser posts.

Btw- the micro coils are working great though I feel I need to change wicks daily for the best flavor, and I did pop one last night after some way aggressive cleaning and an attempt to reposition while still installed. I know better than to go pulling and picking on a coil like that. I guess I just got a little too cavalier.

"A little too cavalier". Good one Joe.

Damn. 3 vvgs? I can easily see that happening to me.

Having sold one and traded two REOs all for pretty much exactly what I paid for em in cash or trade value, it is a risk free investment to buy more!

Buy buy buy!

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
While I was waiting for and fanticizing about the silver anodized VV on its way to me, i got a really bad outbreak of the "damnIonlyhave1grandnow" rash. A quick message and early morning phone call to Dr. Rob and the rash was cured. He was also able to stuff the cure into the box with containing the remedy for the "damnIgottahaveaVVgrand" fever that hit me last week. As for the finish / color on grand, I've been wanting one of these bad boys...keeping ya'll in suspense - I'll post a pic when I get it!

bourzia

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pittsburgh

What Is this new creation you speak of!!!????

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Robert has made a few posts:

I am working on a new mod let me just say you will like it . There wont be any pictures or details until its just about ready to ship . With all the cloning going on I have to be this way .

Metal heads sorry my friend I am going for indestructible . Wood mods could be built in the same fashion though

Oh they don't make indestructible vv or vw mods

Rough time frame 3 months

The Reo P68

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
Here's a few pics of my first attempt at a "micro-coil." I have to agree the hit/vapor/taste is superior. It's like you get more of everything with less "fire" time. My first wick was cotton gauze and either these builds have to be "squonked' more often or I got careless and burned the wick in a few hours. The wick pictured here is some 4-ply cotton yarn of which I separated the 4 strands and threaded 2 of them (with a kanthal "needle" so it's still 4 strands) through the coils.

I know my build is not as "uniform" as some pictured in this thread but this is my first attempt and I'm shocked I'm getting such a low reading (0.91ohms) out of a 6 wrap of 30g kanthal! :laugh:

That's the way I like it though. Both my REOs are non-VV.

Norman

MC001a.jpg MC002a.jpg MC003a.jpg

Attachments

• MC001.jpg
    MC001.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 129

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's a few pics of my first attempt at a "micro-coil." I have to agree the hit/vapor/taste is superior. It's like you get more of everything with less "fire" time. My first wick was cotton gauze and either these builds have to be "squonked' more often or I got careless and burned the wick in a few hours. The wick pictured here is some 4-ply cotton yarn of which I separated the 4 strands and threaded 2 of them (with a kanthal "needle" so it's still 4 strands) through the coils.

I know my build is not as "uniform" as some pictured in this thread but this is my first attempt and I'm shocked I'm getting such a low reading (0.91ohms) out of a 6 wrap of 30g kanthal! :laugh:

That's the way I like it though. Both my REOs are non-VV.

Norman

View attachment 189551 View attachment 189552 View attachment 189553

Lookin great Norman! The results still continue to amaze me too! Thanks for posting your feedback!

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
Lookin great Norman! The results still continue to amaze me too! Thanks for posting your feedback!

No problem. I like trying new things. Cotton is so easy to deal with that I like trying new things and I will always have my 3/4 standard builds and 4/4 "sidewinder" staple wraps to fall back on. Ha!

I guess this has been mentioned but I'll repeat to anyone who wants to try this "micro-coil" wrap that's it's easier if you go ahead and "torch" the kanthal before the wrap and the keep the coil on whatever you use to wrap it on (I used a really small screwdriver from a "Jeweler's Kit") as you thread the wrap onto your RBA. This will help maintain the uniformity of your wrap.

Norman

inkdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Today was my second day vaping a 1.5ohm micro coil super_X_drifter so kindly installed in a hornet for me. For months now I've been rebuilding vivi novas with loose spring like coils from 32ga wire and cotton rounds or yarn. This micro coil is head and shoulders better! I rewicked it tonight in 1.5 minutes and was vaping soon afterwards. Just...awesome! I'll definitely be playing with this idea on my Igo-L next

Plaz

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
Churzee
Wrapped a 1ohm micro coil today with 10/11 wraps with 28g wire. It's awesome.

Excellent. Just also wrapped 11/12 wraps around a paperclip with 30 AWG wire... measured at 1.32Ω. Put through a single strand of hemp cord... still tastes a little "hempy," but it's starting to saturate now. My main concern is whether that single strand will have enough wicking capability.

H7pDLJ4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread