Status
Not open for further replies.

Silense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Boulder
Hello ECF,

So recently got a RSST, and some 30 gauge and and 500 mesh. I can roll wicks pretty decently and got my coils running nicely on a 4/3. I run at about 1.4-1.5 on my pro-vari. I want to try to make a micro coil because I hear the flavor and TH are pretty nuts. My question is this, whenever I seem to add more coils to my wicks, like a 5/6 the resistance goes way up to like 2.2 or so. How to do a micro without getting that high? Or is it not possible with the current set-up I use. I hear on micros you basically or do want the coils touching each other and want to wrap about a 10 coil or so. Any helps, tricks would be appreciated. Thanks

-Silense

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
Keep the inside diameter small and you'll be able to get a lot of wraps. But don't be concerned with how high the ohms are with micros. I've got a 3.7 ohm coil that performs better than any other coil I've built. These coils are really finicky with height and airhole placement. If it doesn't vape right then raise it up or lower it down some. The coil shouldn't sit in the juice or you'll get anemic vtf and a lot of popping. The airhole must be centered with the coil.

These micros are better than any of the slr builds I've done. (and I've been using slr's exclusively for months so I'm very familiar with them.)

holcombgl

Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Bloomington
I just posted a similar thread about steel rope I am going to test it tonight with my AGA -t2. I have been told that rope will not wick fast enough for a microcoil so I doubt mesh would even come close. I am trying this because my rope is only 1/16 so to get it up to even 1 ohm take a lot of wraps and there is not that much space on the aga.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
It doesn't necessarily have to be "micro". As we've discussed in the micro coil thread, you could do a "mini" coil... Just do super tight wraps that are touching to fit your wick.

Here is one that Pdib did (sorry man, didn't feel like re-coiling a genny to get a pic)

Just do this with your normal wraps at your normal wick size:

IMAG1312-1_zps61dc300f.jpg

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I actually tried a set-up like the one above, a vertical coil wrapped with all coils touching. I did this in a genny around my normal 1/8 wick. tbh it wasn't that much of a difference. the real difference is when you do these micro's in a dripper with a horizontal wick. the size of the coil will be tiny like 1/16 or slightly bigger. usually these coils are wrapped around a needle or drill bit with a small diameter then inserted with cotton being the best or yarn, silica. when you get one of these going it is awesome.

REOfanatic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota
I actually tried a set-up like the one above, a vertical coil wrapped with all coils touching. I did this in a genny around my normal 1/8 wick. tbh it wasn't that much of a difference. the real difference is when you do these micro's in a dripper with a horizontal wick. the size of the coil will be tiny like 1/16 or slightly bigger. usually these coils are wrapped around a needle or drill bit with a small diameter then inserted with cotton being the best or yarn, silica. when you get one of these going it is awesome.

Agree 1000% micros are alot more noticeable in improved performance on something like RDAs such as RM2 or all the various RDA's out there. basically the concept is to get a massive hotspot so you can use a higher ohm setup but get the performance of a SLR coil. theyre nice if you wanna use a dripper on something like a provari or vamo its almost the "safer alternative" to Sub-Ohm Vaping.

on a side note cotton with micro coils is a more heavenly vape than i shall ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread