Not open for further replies.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks, Sirius. New to dual-coils. I'll go do my homework. Actually, I'm just curious because the RM2 on the Reo is just the cat's meow for me with 1.0 ohm single coils. :)

Look into Twisted 28ga single coil. I ran my RM2 with that at around 1.0 Ω .. 10 wraps twisted 28ga on a 5/64th drill.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
How about one of these blunt tip needles that come with DIY syringes..the big ones. You have one? That's pretty close.

Snapshot_20140916.jpg

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
How about one of these blunt tip needles that come with DIY syringes..the big ones. You have one? That's pretty close.

View attachment 374372

That's what I had been using, a 16G luer needle. But I enlarged the coil because you said to. haha I also have the 18G luer needle but it's smaller than the 16G. :) So is the 16G needle about 5/64?

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
That's what I had been using, a 16G luer needle. But I enlarged the coil because you said to. haha I also have the 18G luer needle but it's smaller than the 16G. :) So is the 16G needle about 5/64?

Ha! So sorry Idk about needle sizes because I suck really bad at DIY. I had a few laying around and gauged it, and yes that one is close enough.
Boggles the mind sometimes just converting standard to metric and I'm old school when it comes to tools. I wouldn't have suggested the twisted coil either but it's one of the best ones out there. Maybe your SO has tools and can twist some 28ga for you? If so you should really try that coil.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Look into Twisted 28ga single coil. I ran my RM2 with that at around 1.0 Ω .. 10 wraps twisted 28ga on a 5/64th drill.

Glad I saw this! I still have not gotten around to making a twisted and have been meaning to. Thanks Sirius :D May give this a shot for my next coil. Do you calculate the ohms in half like you would when doing duals since there are two strands of wire in the end result?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Glad I saw this! I still have not gotten around to making a twisted and have been meaning to. Thanks Sirius :D May give this a shot for my next coil. Do you calculate the ohms in half like you would when doing duals since there are two strands of wire in the end result?

Mommabird62

It works out the same ... yes Momma. I'm so use to doing it that it's stuck in my head now though. I just twist and coil. LOL ;)

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
It works out the same ... yes Momma. I'm so use to doing it that it's stuck in my head now though. I just twist and coil. LOL ;)

LOL I'm getting there;) I also have a little piece of notepaper in my build kit that I jot down the coil builds that I make and like. A cheat sheet per say ;)

Mommabird62

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT

5/64" drill bit=1.98mm
16G luer needle = 1.65mm
1/16" drill bit = 1.58mm
18G = 1.27mm
3/64" = 1.19mm

I use 16G luer with my 2mm RxW fits perfect!

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
5/64" drill bit=1.98mm
16G luer needle = 1.65mm
1/16" drill bit = 1.58mm
18G = 1.27mm
3/64" = 1.19mm

I use 16G luer with my 2mm RxW fits perfect!

5/64" drill bit=1.98mm

Thnx Rudy..I have almost always used either a 2mm or 5/64th drill on my coils. Not enough difference to make much difference and has so far served me well using 28ga.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Bumping up for references to Ohm per inch.

I've updated the coils spreadsheet to include a table at the bottom that lists various gauge Kanthal A-1 wire, giving the Ohms per foot, per inch and per centimeter.

Take the values for 31 and 32 gauge with a grain of salt, doesn't seem right to me, but that's what the Temco site said.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I've updated the coils spreadsheet to include a table at the bottom that lists various gauge Kanthal A-1 wire, giving the Ohms per foot, per inch and per centimeter.

Take the values for 31 and 32 gauge with a grain of salt, doesn't seem right to me, but that's what the Temco site said.
Thnx Puffer! ;)

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL

It looks to me like the resistance per inch is considerably lower than the resistance per centimeter. I might be reading it wrong but, isn't an inch about 2 centimeters or slightly less. The resistance per inch should be almost double the resistance per centimeter. Correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 Android phone on a keyboard that waaayyy too small (or my thumbs are waaayyy too big).

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It looks to me like the resistance per inch is considerably lower than the resistance per centimeter. I might be reading it wrong but, isn't an inch about 2 centimeters or slightly less. The resistance per inch should be almost double the resistance per centimeter. Correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 Android phone on a keyboard that waaayyy too small (or my thumbs are waaayyy too big).
Looks that way to me too. An inch is about 2.54 cm and a foot about 30 cm.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA

Aaack! Good catch, some idiot divided the resistance per FOOT by 2.54 *sigh*

Fixed it, thanks for catching it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread