Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
It seems that pics showing the length of the wire can be valuable since it is a variable in the ending ohms. If the total length is measured it can help.

Not all rba's will allow or need long tails of wire to set the coil where it should be.

This information is in fact an estimate of what a new coil builder can expect. It just gives a starting point for them to get the ohms they desire.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
RM2-Organic Cotton Ball
Kanthal A1 30 ga
~1/16 jeweler's screwdriver
11 wraps
1.82 ohms

Sweet spot for my 50/50 PG/VG, sweet, light butterscotch, VVG @ 3.44 volts.

20130727_120939-1-1.jpg

20130727_120903-1-1.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
Please add your coil builds!

Just takes a minute and will help others looking for that first fantastic micro vape!

Wire Type & Gauge:
Coil size (what you wrap it on):
Number of Coils:
Measured Ohms of coil:

This is a great idea! I'm perfectly content with my Rob coil -- for those going the micro-coil route, this thread will be very helpful. :)

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
It took me < 5 minutes to build coil, meter, put on, heat set dryburn, twist cotton, insert and snip, put cap on, wet with juice, and first toke of wonderful cloud. (I let cotton fully saturate for a minute of that time) 64 year old eyes corrected with prescription readers and no extra magnification. AND I've only been doing microcoils and cotton for a few weeks.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Wire Type & Gauge: 30g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): a heavy paperclip leg that's about equivalent to a 16g needle
Number of Coils: 10
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.8

This is for a hornet so the legs are quite short.

Coil and paperclip I use.

View attachment 235733 View attachment 235734

Our coils are very close but our legs look close (Hard to see my coil legs because of wick). But one variable I haven't measured precisely is the screwdriver. Eyeballing, using magnification, it appears to be a smidgen less diameter than my 1/16 drill bit.

My above coil, on RM2, would be perfect on my mechanical REOs for my juice and personal vape preference.

Saying above for micro coil newbies, FYI. (Folks, it doesn't take more than making a few to graduate from "newbie" class.

If my juice was more robust and/or tobacco blend I would prefer either lower ohm (less wraps) or higher voltage.

Last edited:

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
My new favorite - dubbed the micro_X:

wire: 27ga Kanthal A1
size (ID): 17ga blunt tip luer lock needle
# wraps: 14
resistance: 1.26 ohms

Wick: USP sterile rolled cotton. Here's a link:
CVS Rolled Cotton - CVS pharmacy

pyberyha.jpg

How are you feeding the cotton through these beautiful coils? I've been able to duplicate the wrapping part -- I just can't seem to feed the silica through the coil. Is that my problem? Perhaps the silica is too thick?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
How are you feeding the cotton through these beautiful coils? I've been able to duplicate the wrapping part -- I just can't seem to feed the silica through the coil. Is that my problem? Perhaps the silica is too thick?

Yep, silica is a pain. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with frayed fibers. Cotton stays together once you twist it and you can twist it to any thickness (rather "thinness") you desire :)

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
Yep, silica is a pain. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with frayed fibers. Cotton stays together once you twist it and you can twist it to any thickness (rather "thinness") you desire :)

Do you moisten the cotton, then twist? I must say, I hate the feeling of cotton balls. Freaky...yes, I know.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Do you moisten the cotton, then twist? I must say, I hate the feeling of cotton balls. Freaky...yes, I know.

In freaky like that too :). Nope, dont wet the cotton - I wet a bounty and use it to wet my fingertips. Usually you will have to trim the very tip (stray fiber) that protrudes from the pointy end of the twisted cotton :)

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
wire: 26 gauge Nichrome
size (ID): 1/16" Drill Bit
# wraps: 12
resistance: 0.9 ohms
Wick: Rolled Cotton

IMG_20130731_212424_zpscdc13205.jpg

The wick is way too thick on this one. I thought it was thin enough but it expanded to be much thicker than I expected. But it hits great. Killer throat hit, awesome flavor, and it is a fog machine.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
In freaky like that too :). Nope, dont wet the cotton - I wet a bounty and use it to wet my fingertips. Usually you will have to trim the very tip (stray fiber) that protrudes from the pointy end of the twisted cotton :)

you thread the tip of the luer blunt with the cottonno? 17g

i got some 27 too and i'm going to go for about 10, 11 wraps.

gonna look up the ID of the 17....

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...

You are also freaked out by the feeling of cotton balls? If so, you are the ONLY other person I know of with the same reaction.

Maybe I can get my sister to twist the cotton. THERE. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread