ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
I use these:
View attachment 239466

Got them at a hobby shop for about $7.

Thanks again.

I'll get on the phone and check out the hobby shops up in town, wonder what power those are.

I can still see distance great but anything within 5 feet of my nose grows fuzz and jumps around a lot. I'll be counting wraps on a coil and eyes jump and, heck, then I lose count and start over. Senior living is a challenge but it beats the alternative.:p

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Thanks again.

I'll get on the phone and check out the hobby shops up in town, wonder what power those are.

I can still see distance great but anything within 5 feet of my nose grows fuzz and jumps around a lot. I'll be counting wraps on a coil and eyes jump and, heck, then I lose count and start over. Senior living is a challenge but it beats the alternative.:p

I don't know what power (lost the literature) they are but it came with 3 interchangeable lens'. The ones that were already on it are perfect for me.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
Yeppers, got a magnefying glass on stand with LEDs too about same price. Still hard for me to see, eyes dancing all over the place on the coil wraps. I'm also wearing 2 pairs of readers at the same time, you'd laugh your butts off to see my schtick about the time the front pair slides off my ugly nose.

Somebody said there are 6Xpower readers out there, anybody tried those? I'm going into town this weekend and if I knew who has the higher powered glasses I'd try to get a pair.

Stat had a VERY good tip in his coiling video for counting coils. Take a flat head screw driver and drag it across the coils and count the clicks. It's way better than trying to look if you lose count. :)

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Similar problems with eyes. Went to Michaels and bought magnifying lens, stands upright, for $14.99 makes all the difference in the world. Good Luck, well worth the money.

This is a lifesaver. No assembly required on this one, and the knobbed clamps are easier to deal with than the ones with the weird butterfly clamps.

I also use 5X reading glasses which I found at 99cent Only.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Stat had a VERY good tip in his coiling video for counting coils. Take a flat head screw driver and drag it across the coils and count the clicks. It's way better than trying to look if you lose count. :)

I used to do the same thing using tweezers. Now I just take a pic of it with my Note II, zoom in on the pic, & use my stylus to hover which enables a cursor & count them that way.

ZeroDisorder

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
Oklahoma
Can someone properly describe this "diaper"? Is it just as simple as putting wicking material under the coil? If so, is it part of the main wick going through the coil? IE looped back over. I tried it with a small separate piece of silica and I just noticed a little bit extra capacity before turning the inhale hot. I guess that would be the point though if I'm understanding this concept correctly.

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
I decided to go for broke and see how big of a coil I could make using 26g Nichrome.

WIRE: 26g Nichrome
ID: 1/16"
WRAPS: 19 or 20
RES: Not sure. My multimeter decided last night that it didn't want to check resistance anymore and it reads out on my Vamo at 0.5Ω. This doesn't seem right though as my last coil I wrapped was the same gauge and ID but only 12 wraps and that was 0.55Ω.

IMG_20130807_224614_zpsac61677d.jpg

It has killer throat hit, and flavor. The vapor is much cooler and it takes 3 seconds before it really heats up enough to draw from it. If you notice from the photo it barely even heats up the outer coils. It is a monstrous coil. Definitely more of a waste than anything. Also it is very difficult to do the heat and squeeze method on a coil this long. It wants to bow in the middle.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Can someone properly describe this "diaper"? Is it just as simple as putting wicking material under the coil? If so, is it part of the main wick going through the coil? IE looped back over. I tried it with a small separate piece of silica and I just noticed a little bit extra capacity before turning the inhale hot. I guess that would be the point though if I'm understanding this concept correctly.

Diaper is generally referred to a sleeve that goes over the coil. Not needed in the RM2 but helps eliminate hot spots in genesis style attys.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
20130808_151400.jpg~original

This one I made in haste before cutting my thumb nail that gets in the way. And I wanted to see how overly back looping (not recommended way to wrap) would affect coil. It's vaping fine but I've only got about 30 minutes on it.

BTW... I was using too little cotton. Vape has improved by adding just a tiny bit more.

20130808_145323.jpg~original

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
no. i haven't tried the clips for RBAs. just use a Grand w/o battery for that, like i've seen the gurus here in the forum do.

Very good to have battery out but most of the time I don't. I've scorched a couple of cotton wicks handling REO with unjuiced fresh cotton. No big deal as it takes about a minute to rewick. But not fun to burn fingers.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread