Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
OK, built 2 micro coils tonight. 1.5 mm ID. 11 wraps. One came out to 1.3Ω and the other came out to 1.7Ω . The Provari will not fire the 1.3Ω coil but the eVic Supreme will. Different specs, I know. However, I am a little confused as they read same different ohms on both devices. With the same exact diameter and the same exact wraps, why didn't they measure out to the same or similar ohms? Deformed coil on one? If so. which one? High or low ohms? Or is that not determinable? BTW, I have a dedicated ohms reader on the way. Mainly for a stable stand to build on but another safety check as well.

I guess I shouldn't be posting this here in the Heather's Heavenly Vapes section but I have got you guys (gals? I think LAwaters is a girl) attention. Anyway, I think I found my vape heaven for the moment. Wait a minute! I guess since I have found my vape heaven, I am posting in the correct section. But I digress. I built some Navy nests today. Whoa! Awesome vape. I thought I never would but I think I now see dripping in my future. Seems like such a PITA to me so maybe I will start researching bottom feeders to ease into it. We'll see. I am happy where I am at for now.

Common sense tells me that it would be ok to use a regulated mod for dripping. Is it really necessary to use a mech mod with RDA's? If so, why? I mean my eVic will pump out 30 watts. I would think that I could supply the power needed for a dripper with that, no? Although, I have read many threads on battery safety thus far, I'm really not comfortable trusting myself with mechs just yet.

And the journey continues. :)

You can drip just the same with a regulated mod than you can with a mech. As for the difference in resistance on seemingly two identical coils...I cannot answer from 480 miles away. :) They should measure the same. Could be the device you're measuring it on. I've always found my Provari to be spot on. Can't speak for the eVic.

The Provari has an amp limit of 3.5 amps. So a 1.3ohm coil on your Provari will cut out at 4.5 volts and above. You'd be at 16 watts...quite hot!

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
OK, built 2 micro coils tonight. 1.5 mm ID. 11 wraps. One came out to 1.3Ω and the other came out to 1.7Ω . The Provari will not fire the 1.3Ω coil but the eVic Supreme will. Different specs, I know. However, I am a little confused as they read same different ohms on both devices. With the same exact diameter and the same exact wraps, why didn't they measure out to the same or similar ohms? Deformed coil on one? If so. which one? High or low ohms? Or is that not determinable? BTW, I have a dedicated ohms reader on the way. Mainly for a stable stand to build on but another safety check as well.

I guess I shouldn't be posting this here in the Heather's Heavenly Vapes section but I have got you guys (gals? I think LAwaters is a girl) attention. Anyway, I think I found my vape heaven for the moment. Wait a minute! I guess since I have found my vape heaven, I am posting in the correct section. But I digress. I built some Navy nests today. Whoa! Awesome vape. I thought I never would but I think I now see dripping in my future. Seems like such a PITA to me so maybe I will start researching bottom feeders to ease into it. We'll see. I am happy where I am at for now.

Common sense tells me that it would be ok to use a regulated mod for dripping. Is it really necessary to use a mech mod with RDA's? If so, why? I mean my eVic will pump out 30 watts. I would think that I could supply the power needed for a dripper with that, no? Although, I have read many threads on battery safety thus far, I'm really not comfortable trusting myself with mechs just yet.

I can't hazard a guess as to what's going on with your coils but I will reiterate what Bronze said and tell you that you don't need a mech for dripping and RDA's come in very handy for sampling different juices as well as when all your tanks are full and you get a craving for something you don't have tanked , your evic should be able to push dual coils in the .7 ohm and up range with no problems , when you start going for .2 or point 3ohms and below that's where you really need a mech , but it's not necessary to even go subohm at all and I seriously advise against it till you have more experience , while your provari and evic protect you against hard shorts it's still possible to pop coils and melt insulators in your topper from the heat . So definitely get you a couple of RDA's but avoid the mechs and subohm until you gain experience .

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama

Jax, I'm very new to this scene, but from what you said, the only thing that comes to my mind as to why you'd get different resistances with SEEMINGLY identical builds would be the lead wire length. If the leads aren't the same length on each build, you'll get more resistance from the one with longer leads.

Just a thought and give you something else to look at.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
You can drip just the same with a regulated mod than you can with a mech. As for the difference in resistance on seemingly two identical coils...I cannot answer from 480 miles away. :) They should measure the same. Could be the device you're measuring it on. I've always found my Provari to be spot on. Can't speak for the eVic.

The Provari has an amp limit of 3.5 amps. So a 1.3ohm coil on your Provari will cut out at 4.5 volts and above. You'd be at 16 watts...quite hot!

Yeah, I kind of figured I could use one of my regulated mods for dripping as long as I stay within the device's limits with my coil builds. Thanks for the advice though.

I can't hazard a guess as to what's going on with your coils but I will reiterate what Bronze said and tell you that you don't need a mech for dripping and RDA's come in very handy for sampling different juices as well as when all your tanks are full and you get a craving for something you don't have tanked , your evic should be able to push dual coils in the .7 ohm and up range with no problems , when you start going for .2 or point 3ohms and below that's where you really need a mech , but it's not necessary to even go subohm at all and I seriously advise against it till you have more experience , while your provari and evic protect you against hard shorts it's still possible to pop coils and melt insulators in your topper from the heat . So definitely get you a couple of RDA's but avoid the mechs and subohm until you gain experience .

I don't see myself going below the .5Ω that the eVic can handle. Oh, and believe me, I won't be getting a mech until I am fully competent with battery safety.

And yeah, I've already popped a few coils too.

Jax, I'm very new to this scene, but from what you said, the only thing that comes to my mind as to why you'd get different resistances with SEEMINGLY identical builds would be the lead wire length. If the leads aren't the same length on each build, you'll get more resistance from the one with longer leads.

Just a thought and give you something else to look at.

Now that you mention it I believe you are spot on as to the difference in ohms between the 2 coils. If I remember correctly, I've got one laying at about a 45º angle to the bridge (is that what it is called?) and the other is perpendicular to the bridge. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Yeah, I kind of figured I could use one of my regulated mods for dripping as long as I stay within the device's limits with my coil builds. Thanks for the advice though.

I don't see myself going below the .5Ω that the eVic can handle. Oh, and believe me, I won't be getting a mech until I am fully competent with battery safety.

And yeah, I've already popped a few coils too.

Now that you mention it I believe you are spot on as to the difference in ohms between the 2 coils. If I remember correctly, I've got one laying at about a 45º angle to the bridge (is that what it is called?) and the other is perpendicular to the bridge. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Jax , with 28ga wire your total wire length would have to jump from 2.8 inches at 1.3 ohms to 3.7 inches at 1.7 ohms , that's 9/10th of an inch difference between the two , that's a lot of leg length we're talking here , almost a half inch per leg , just letting you know you might wanna investigate a little more if that's not the case .

R

*RJ*

Jax , with 28ga wire your total wire length would have to jump from 2.8 inches at 1.3 ohms to 3.7 inches at 1.7 ohms , that's 9/10th of an inch difference between the two , that's a lot of leg length we're talking here , almost a half inch per leg , just letting you know you might wanna investigate a little more if that's not the case .

Question (which I thought of after reading the lead length info)...is the distance between screws on most toppers the same? Or does that vary? That would also change the resistance from coil to coil from topper to topper. Now I'm thinking!

:p

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Question (which I thought of after reading the lead length info)...is the distance between screws on most toppers the same? Or does that vary? That would also change the resistance from coil to coil from topper to topper. Now I'm thinking!

It varies a little bit between toppers RJ , but a .4ohm difference requires almost another inch of 28ga wire , no topper that I know of requires that , I suspect Jax's problem may be more of a connection problem since he used the same ID and number of wraps .

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

It varies a little bit between toppers RJ , but a .4ohm difference requires almost another inch of 28ga wire , no topper that I know of requires that , I suspect Jax's problem may be more of a connection problem since he used the same ID and number of wraps .

Wow! Ok, well that certainly isn't it then. Thanks for doing the math.

I think you are right on the connection issue. I remember I was getting a short on one and couldn't figure out where so I ended up backing out the battery contact screw a little and the short went away. Fiddling around some more with that screw and I see that it was changing the ohms. I take it that that screw needs to be tightened all the way into the RBA?

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Wow! Ok, well that certainly isn't it then. Thanks for doing the math.

I think you are right on the connection issue. I remember I was getting a short on one and couldn't figure out where so I ended up backing out the battery contact screw a little and the short went away. Fiddling around some more with that screw and I see that it was changing the ohms. I take it that that screw needs to be tightened all the way into the RBA?

Tight but not so tight that it shears the wires , you might also have some debris in that rba causing you some problems , check for clipped wire and metal shavings in the screw holes and center post .

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
This place is awesome! So much useful information from the Army! :wub: I have another question...would the screw material (ss, brass, etc) make a difference in resistance?

yes but its not that much of a difference maybe .08 - .1 ohms, besides, the battery "sees" that and reacts to it and it falls into the equation for watts and amps and battery limitations...

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
Bronze is the king or should I say the general/president Washington of kayfuns. That dude is all over the kayfun thread schooling us all in the kayfun world. Lol. I never did get mine to go through a whole tank without a dry hit I may wait til my next day off (a week smh) pull it out. Re coil and use this new guide lol. I shoulda started wicking kayfuns before drippers. I think that's where I messed up In life cuz it seems you don't always have to wick a dripper perfect aha. Thx bronze

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Tight but not so tight that it shears the wires , you might also have some debris in that rba causing you some problems , check for clipped wire and metal shavings in the screw holes and center post .

Yeah, I am tightening it down with my fingernail and that seems to work best for me.

I have since rebuilt both RBA's at 1.4Ω and everything is working just beautifully.

I am enjoying this so much that I just ordered a Plume Veil RDA and a Vape Smith Goblet drip tip. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread