Status
Not open for further replies.

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
How's the humidity in . . . . . ."The Far Side" . . . .kingdal? I went to Chicago recently (very humid) and my mech performance went to crap. Had to make a trip to the local Ace Hardware for 600 +1500 grit sandpaper and some "ox-guard" lube.

What is the humidity like in Seattle? I usually go at this very time each year to get onto the boat. I guess I don't pay attention to the humidity, I just know it rains a ton! I use to live in Yakima and the humidity there was pretty much none. Here on the otherhand, it is 80-90% somedays.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Great responses everyone! Thanks for all the feedback!

I just set up a kayfun with a 10 wrap microcoil 30g Kanthal at 2.3 ohms. I found this to be an anemic vape on a mech, and too coolis, although it works great on my Provari. So now I guess I know what my upper limit is on a mech

I have one that I just wrapped with 30 gauge and it is 3.1 with 15 wraps so that is pretty close.

Alls I'm sayin' is Supe's getting 2Ω w/ 12 wraps; so, something's tighter in Supe's setup.

If kingdal is getting 2.3 w/ 10 . . . . maybe it's not a micro-coil, maybe that's why its lacking punch.(?)

Dunno.

Seattle isn't very humid when the skies are blue.

Last edited:

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
Alls I'm sayin' is Supe's getting 2Ω w/ 12 wraps; so, something's tighter in Supe's setup.

If kingdal is getting 2.3 w/ 10 . . . . maybe it's not a micro-coil, maybe that's why its lacking punch.(?)

Dunno.

Seattle isn't very humid when the skies are blue.

Yeah I caught that after I had posted. Seen the Micro Mech topic. :blush:

I love Seattle, even though I have only seen the airport, fishermen's terminal, and Ballard for the most part. I am hoping to get back there someday soon. Think my fishing career is done though. Too old and last winter took it's toll on me.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Eh... My bad. I don't meter much any more. But I just did when I wrapped a coil for the RM2 I'm sending to Vash. It was 10 (or was it 11 or 12?) wraps of 30 ga around my 16 ga blunt tip luer lock. Came in at...

2.3 freakin ohms. It's the same setup as on my mech grand. I like it.

Sorry for the previous erroneous reports :) I'll try to also do a better job of counting wraps - but when their that close, it's hard to. Even with magnification, i cant focus on em :)

But Vash can chime in on how it vapes on his grand :) maybe even report on how many wraps :)

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Two things are important with higher ohm micros on a mech; wire gauge and, as others stated, how small the diameter. A true micro can go higher ohm with the same punch as my larger minis. The smaller the better for more heat. With thinner gauge wire more heat is provided too. At 31ga, I can go around 2 ohms for a kicking vape. At 30ga, 1.6-1.8 ohms is the sweet spot for my minis on a mech. With a micro I could go 2+ ohms. 28ga I like much lower, 1.3ohms to kick how I like on a mech, and down to .8 for a really big kick. I don't go lower than that, as I keep my air-holes small and any lower would cook the juice without providing better vapor unless I add more airflow.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
How's the humidity in . . . . . ."The Far Side" . . . .kingdal? I went to Chicago recently (very humid) and my mech performance went to crap. Had to make a trip to the local Ace Hardware for 600 +1500 grit sandpaper and some "ox-guard" lube.

Lol The Far Side is actually in the Philippines and as you can guess, humidity hovers between 90 and 100% most of the time. Wish I could say it was the weather but I actually do most of my vaping in air conditioned rooms indoors. Too dang hot outside:p

I'm still trying to figure out if its the mod, the atty or me. Made a new 1.5 ohm micro yesterday on an iGo using cotton as a wick and vaping on the same Roller. So far its working pretty good. I'm going to sleep on this and see

Thanks pdib!

Last edited:

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Eh... My bad. I don't meter much any more. But I just did when I wrapped a coil for the RM2 I'm sending to Vash. It was 10 (or was it 11 or 12?) wraps of 30 ga around my 16 ga blunt tip luer lock. Came in at...

Sorry for the previous erroneous reports :) I'll try to also do a better job of counting wraps - but when their that close, it's hard to. Even with magnification, i cant focus on em :)

But Vash can chime in on how it vapes on his grand :) maybe even report on how many wraps :)

Thanks for confirming super_x. For a second there, I was wondering whether I messed up my DMM readings.

I'm a very OC super-x disciple so for my micros, i wrap everything on either 1.5mm or 1.6mm drill bits. Havent tried a 'minicoil' yet

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thanks for confirming super_x. For a second there, I was wondering whether I messed up my DMM readings.

I'm a very OC super-x disciple so for my micros, i wrap everything on either 1.5mm or 1.6mm drill bits. Havent tried a 'minicoil' yet

Vape on my brother :). Its getting so second nature that I'm getting lazy :). I just start with a 4" strip of 30ga Kanthal, and wrap until the tail is the right length. The only way I can physically focus on the wraps is in enlarged photos. You guys are doing it right :)

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com

Will count wraps and report back once I get it :) Cant wait !

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
So count wraps and looks like 12

Ok, so my 2.3 ohm micro build turns out to be 12 tight / touching wraps of 30ga Kanthal a1 around a 16 ga blunt top luer lock needle.

That said, 10 wraps, same ingredients would be around 2 ohms the way I build :)

Thanks for counting Vash :).

Now that you see the build, looks easy right?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Doubled up (not twisted, just parallel) 30awg on my RSST, measures out to 1.0ohm. All the warmth, smoothness and flavor intensity of micro, and quick response time of sub ohm. Best of both worlds.

Oh and i run that on my Sig19

I'm happy you showed that f%&*ing RSST who's boss! Nice work! :)

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Ok, so my 2.3 ohm micro build turns out to be 12 tight / touching wraps of 30ga Kanthal a1 around a 16 ga blunt top luer lock needle.

That said, 10 wraps, same ingredients would be around 2 ohms the way I build :)

Thanks for counting Vash :).

Now that you see the build, looks easy right?

Yeah man seems easy :) Once I break down your beautiful coil and wrap my own Ill post pic.Wont be breaking down this coil anytime soon though LOL Great work my friend :toast:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I'm happy you showed that f%&*ing RSST who's boss! Nice work! :)

Thanks dibby. Last night after 4 cups of tea, 2 hours and about 4000 mAh of battery power wasted on dry burning, i finally wire-bind her into submission. Now every time i so much as touch the button shes like "okay okay here here vapor flavor take it all i ll do your laundry too"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread