Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Well, compared to 8.1, ten is amazing. I still prefer 7pro for a workhorse rig. I just need to get my hands on a multimeter to determine if my chip or battery is toast. May have to bribe Mike with a taco as I am on the road for next two days.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Bummer. I have windows 10 now, and escribe reports a new update available, but it creates an error when I try to upload it, then just locks up, and I have to reboot the computer. I just got my mod running, so I'm going to stay away from escribe for a while, I believe they've got some sorting out to do.

Windows 10, ugh! How's it been working for you? It's been nothing but a PITA for me, my wife upgraded to it on her laptop without talking to me about it first. Problem is she has a hard time understanding computers, she doesn't want to learn, she just wants it to work and when it doesn't I'm expected to drop what I'm doing and fix it Johnny on the spot. I would have told her to wait six months to a year and not be a tester while MS sorts all the bugs out. It's forced me to learn about it and what I have learned hasn't impressed me, biggest issue I finally resolved (for now) is the forced updates, during updates it would shut off wifi access until the update was installed and rebooted. While figuring out how to shut off the updates I found a default setting that was using her computer and our bandwidth to share updates across the web for other users.

Did a lot of reading and found early on there was a setting to shut off forced updates but one MS wasn't telling people about, once people were chatting about it MS (during another update) took that option away and now that check box is grayed out. I shut it off under services, but I'm sure at some point when we do a manual update MS will fix that too.

Also found out after 30 days the WindowsOld folder is deleted, nice MS! :grr: Fortunately I have another week to make a copy of the folder and get it on a thumb drive or try to talk the wife into rolling back to Win 8. After 30 days, if you want to uninstall and roll back to your prior OS your out of luck, you'll have to re-install your old OS and you'll have lost all your settings. I read a post that said you can't even do a re-install to any prior OS after 30 days but I'm not sure I believe that, could be but for now I'll take it as a rumor. One thing for sure, MS is working hard to get as many people into Win 10 as possible, get people away from using older OS systems so they don't have to support them and being devious while at it.

Reactions: Phone Guy

Vince159

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA USA
I went from 8.0 to 10, about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a single issue with ten, until this thing with escribe. Updates happening in the background are happening seamlessly. My laptop has 7, and I find it has the icon to update to 10, I'm holding off. It's a toshiba and it gets fussy about any little thing, pos. I can't think of a single complaint about 10 thus far. Maybe tell the wife you need to go back to 8, and redo 10; maybe she'll start seeing thing your way?

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
I went from 8.0 to 10, about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a single issue with ten, until this thing with escribe. Updates happening in the background are happening seamlessly. My laptop has 7, and I find it has the icon to update to 10, I'm holding off. It's a toshiba and it gets fussy about any little thing, pos. I can't think of a single complaint about 10 thus far. Maybe tell the wife you need to go back to 8, and redo 10; maybe she'll start seeing thing your way?
Didja see the part that it uses your pc and bandwidth to supply updates to the rest of the world. Dirty trick if you ask me. If I wanted distributed computing on my pc, I'd fold or look for aliens. Popcorn time is my only dc app and I use a vpn with that.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
Well, compared to 8.1, ten is amazing. I still prefer 7pro for a workhorse rig. I just need to get my hands on a multimeter to determine if my chip or battery is toast. May have to bribe Mike with a taco as I am on the road for next two days.
I get the meter on the battery. Are there any places on the chip that can be tested?

Reactions: Steamer861

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
For a "poor man's mill" it worked out for me so I'm pretty happy with it. Keep in mind this is my first foray into anything like a mill or machining anything.

Must've missed out on some of the communication, but are you guys talking about using a cross-slide vice as a milling table with a standard drill press? If so, just be careful. Typically drill press heads are not designed for lateral movement. It can be done, just keep your passes shallow.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Must've missed out on some of the communication, but are you guys talking about using a cross-slide vice as a milling table with a standard drill press? If so, just be careful. Typically drill press heads are not designed for lateral movement. It can be done, just keep your passes shallow.

The depth of cut is kind of self correcting. Too deep and the chatter gets way out of hand. Then again I'm working with softer aluminum and brass rather than steel or SS.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I'd be doing very little mill work on my press, I want a cross slide more for drilling and tapping. This last weekend I replaced the 510's in two Hana clones, I had to center the existing hole before I could drill then tap and it's a big PITA to tap the vice and piece here and there to get it perfectly lined up.

BTW, I put one of the black VT 510's in a black Hana box, matches very nicely and looks good all dresses in black. When I got it done I had a urge to say, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash". :laugh:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Mornin Steamer! Well my unit is fully charged and vaping up a storm :) I'm having a notification on the bottom of the screen on escribe for an update, but it's nonresponsive; do you have this?

I just tried 64 watts, man that's hot, back down to 27. I'm thinking of some beefy coils to try some high temps:evil:

Glad your mod is running good now Vince :)
I have an old PC here beside my Mac. I use it for invoicing, Escribe and the Yihi softwear
I updated it to W 10 and it seems fine, this is the first windows updated I have ever done that didn't require a million new drivers to be found :)
It really speed up this old PC too :) The PC is a pile of junk, I got for my son a few years back it had W 7 on it originally.
Nothin but problems with it. I got a new one for the kid and didn't want to just throw it away, now I'm glad I didn't cause W 10 is making half a@@ useable. I will never be on it long enough for Windows to spy on me. But I'm pretty sure all computers/ browsers spy on us now :( Every time I search for some items on line, it's advertised on my web browser just coincidentally right after :(
The internet and computers aren't private at All!

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I little of topic? Has anyone else noticed strange screen behavior of the dna200?

Sometimes mine (the 1 of 3 I've built so far) will show 0.0w while firing, other times slight screen glitch, and occasionally black out screen while pressing fire.

I removed the board to verify screen attachment and that the cable wasn't being pinched by the fire button. All seems good.

I can't make it happen but it does it often enough to catch my eye. The only one I've been able to reproduce sometimes is pressing the fire button hard and watching the screen dim or go black. In all cases, the atty does fire.

Thoughts?

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I little of topic? Has anyone else noticed strange screen behavior of the dna200?

Sometimes mine (the 1 of 3 I've built so far) will show 0.0w while firing, other times slight screen glitch, and occasionally black out screen while pressing fire.

I removed the board to verify screen attachment and that the cable wasn't being pinched by the fire button. All seems good.

I can't make it happen but it does it often enough to catch my eye. The only one I've been able to reproduce sometimes is pressing the fire button hard and watching the screen dim or go black. In all cases, the atty does fire.

Thoughts?

If it happens when pressing the button very hard, you might be flexing the board and causing a trace or a solder joint to open. Make sure the board is mounted securely and as intended and then try applying gentle pressure to the board while firing. If it fails when you apply gentle pressure to the board, that's the issue.

Reactions: tiburonfirst

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
My CNC1590G/DNA200 is finally underway. The first piece of retaining rail for the sled has JB weld drying. The sled is cut but may be shortened for extra wire clearance, and I replaced the XT60 that was on the battery, Turnigy 1000mah, with an XT30. That went really well. I desoldered one led at a time, tinned the post on the XT30, soldered onto the XT30 post (after all, the wire was nicely tinned) and shrank the heat shrink tubing. Smooth as silk and no danger of a short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread