BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Voltage sag with a single high drain 18650
Voltage sag with a Lipo
Certainly a single 18650 works, and rather well, but the lipo runs circles around it in terms of sag.

You might think the sag is somewhat offset by the softcell cutoff being 3.09v on a lipo, and 2.75v on a 18650. But.... the 18650 sags down to 2.75v when the unloaded pack voltage is around 3.1v +/-. And thats with a high quality high drain 18650, the sag is much worse with a mediocre battery like a HG2.
Well ok, but I rather trade a lipo for the capacity and ease of swapping with 18650s. The need for an USB cable, power source, and wait time for charging a lipo is really annoying to me. Plus those USB jacks always fails. It is just the question of when.

Reactions: Steamer861

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Well ok, but I rather trade a lipo for the capacity and ease of swapping with 18650s. The need for an USB cable, power source, and wait time for charging a lipo is really annoying to me. Plus those USB jacks always fails. It is just the question of when.
IMO if I was going to use a lipo, I would just use a DNA200 board :) The lipos are definitely better, But the whole draw to the DNA75, for me is the replaceable cell :)

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Getting real close now. Final dry fit after cerakote ... just soldering and final assembly left!

EkbSRoX.jpg

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Getting real close now. Final dry fit after cerakote ... just soldering and final assembly left!

EkbSRoX.jpg
VUiHqNf.png

So jealous. I only wish I could afford a enclosure like that!

Super SUPER nice. I can't compliment enough.

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
good thing that's way too big! ;)

Lol ... it's the curse of the DNA200! Hard to do something small unless you're really willing to sacrifice on battery size/life. I'll be doing something smaller for the DNA75. Maybe even a side by side! :D

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
This may have been covered before? I don't remember... With a 3S lipo, is it best to charge after draining to a certain level? Or does it affect the battery one way or the other?

I've been using the erm+ lately, some days I vape a lot (down to 30% battery or less) other days I can vape 2 days on a single charge.

One day I didn't charge it the night before because it had 60%(ish) battery remaining, and of course I ran out of power that early evening with no usb power source, so no vape for me until I got in the car.

I've been trying to run the battery down to <30% before charging, not sure if that's needed or suggested. Just curious what others are doing as far as battery charging maintenence.

Thanks in advance (sorry if this has come up before)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
As long as you don't over discharge a LiPO, no matter what the configuration, re-charging is fine. In fact, there is a school of thought that says re-charging before it's really "necessary" can extend the life of the battery. Personally, I wouldn't discharge them below 3.4 volts and even that is low for my tastes. Re-charging sooner certainly won't damage anything and may extend the life of the battery. I am skeptical of that since the actual battery life is a function of a chemical reaction.

There is a finite amount of the required chemicals and I'm not all that convinced that those chemicals know how discharged they may be before being re-charged. Total power out, based on the lifetime of the battery is a function of the quantity of those chemicals. Deep discharging may require slightly more for recovery, consumed by additional heating during charging, but I'm not all that sure about that. Just my pea brained opinion based on no real expertise in chemistry.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
look what i stole ;)
AtmizrOpin said:
So this is what I did with my 75 board. Since the board in my VT200 blew, I sent in the old board and received back a replacement board from Evolv. Rather than putting the same board back in I threw in the 75. Had to slightly modify the OLED screen holder and rewired the hcigar 3s lipo for 3p. Drilled a hole for the led as well. Hole isn't perfect but it will do for now.

View attachment 556575

Reactions: Phone Guy

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Okay while ERM PLUS #031 was down for a bad board I did a firmware upgrade to #030. I got the upgrade new profiles preloaded but now can't for the life of me can't find the download to put it my laptop

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
I am confused (not unusual), download for what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread