Mike n Tibs DNA Mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First DNA75 done! Very happy with getting all the features in such a small enclosure.
Very nice. That is a 3-D printed case? Carbon fiber plates? Small soldering iron melt mark?
That looks like an excellent use of a DNA75. You did an excellent job.

Reactions: Tpat591

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Very nice. That is a 3-D printed case? Carbon fiber plates? Small soldering iron melt mark?
That looks like an excellent use of a DNA75. You did an excellent job.

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention while soldering the negative side of the 510 and set the iron on the side of the box.... I guess I'm lucky it was Delrin as it do too much damage I can't sand out. Sucks but it adds character!

The box is from Box Mod's store - he makes wood and delrin/carbon fiber boxes for a very resonible price.

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
First DNA75 done! Very happy with getting all the features in such a small enclosure.

9d3706e321c8c19efb41f0f8cf9ef0ae.jpg

b6051050912b1efee36a6fcc3e4b491e.jpg

18b07eba87fcc0d2ba4b32553aef6885.jpg

35e04496a7bc9f8959e1c53b1e34a35a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Super nice looking mod. Impressive.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
This is my second Proto Vape, ERM, DNA75 mod. This time I used black buttons in the aluminum body and a modified battery sled to improve power transfer from the battery. The positive contact is 1/8" brass soldered to a 1/16" brass plate. The positive lead is soldered to the brass plate at a bottom corner. The negative contact is a 1/16" brass disk with a braided wire through the center of the spring. That braided wire is soldered to the negative lead for connection to the board. There are no exposed contact points on the sled using this method, full contct is made to both the positive and negative terminals, and "weak battery" warnings only happen when the battery is, indeed, getting weak.

This one is for the Mrs., trying to convert her to TC. That's an FEV V3 atty sitting on top, all stainless construction, 6ml capacity, single coil and gets filled simply by pouring liquid directly into the tank from a bottle.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY

This one is for the Mrs., trying to convert her to TC. That's an FEV V3 atty sitting on top, all stainless construction, 6ml capacity, single coil and gets filled simply by pouring liquid directly into the tank from a bottle.

Just noticed, Flash-E!! :thumb:

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
OK, this battery gets a "Mike's Thumbs UP"!

I got two of these batteries in yesterday.
$11.17 Authentic ZOP Power 11.1V 1500mAh 20C Li-Polymer Battery at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The battery is rated 1500mAh and they clock in just shy of it, pretty damn close, a lot closer than many other brands.

While they are rated "1500mAh" they are the exact same size in every dimension as the Turnigy 1300. Even more curious is that the sticker on the two I got says 40C not 20C.

Actual unaltered measured dimensions are 71mm x 34mm x 23mm, although the wires exiting the head will eat up another mm. You "could" take off the heatshrink, reroute the wires, reinsulate it, and save a lot more room. I think you could get it down 66mm if you tried.

According to the Evolv Escribe Battery Analyzer:
Bat #1 - 15.49 WH
Bat #2 - 16.17 WH

Also do consider that this was the first cycle on both of these batteries, if anything the storage capacity improves after a few cycles.

Turnigy 1300mAh Avg - 14.14
ZOP 1500mAh Avg = 15.83

ZOP was an average of almost 11% more power for the exact same footprint of the Turnigy.

View my actual battery test results HERE, you can enter your own results too.
The Venom FLY battery (at twice the cost) is the only other tested battery that match this energy density.

Good energy density, at a great price, makes this battery a winner in my book.

Re: ZOP Power 11.1V 1500mAh 20C Li-Polymer Battery

Thanks for the tip on this battery Mike!. :thumb:

Received a Vape Cige VTbox200 with a dud Lion Power "1800mah" battery.
Ordered one of these from Gearbest (Had a bunch of points to use) and
managed to install/squeeze it in somehow (The +/- cables attached to the
T Connector are a little longer than the original). Before charging, all cells
were are 382/382/382 and 420/420/420 after charging.

Was on sale for a while at $8.xx.

ZOP Power 11.1V 1500mAh 20C T Plug Lipo Battery

Last edited:

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Have all of the machining done on my red, white and blue M4 DNA200 mod. Just need to sand and polish the body and trim rings and then it will be ready for final assembly. Might just have it done in time for a 4th of July vape! Few other completed and in-progress bodies in the background.

4eyWAzb.jpg

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Have all of the machining done on my red, white and blue M4 DNA200 mod. Just need to sand and polish the body and trim rings and then it will be ready for final assembly. Might just have it done in time for a 4th of July vape! Few other completed and in-progress bodies in the background.

4eyWAzb.jpg

Really like the design of the face, more then like, I love it! Nice work sir! :thumbs:

Spiceman1967

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Lompoc, CA, USA
I know whenever I see a post by Jonnie that I'm going to drool and try to justify a CNC vertical mill, yet again.
Exactly! Every time I see a Jonnie post I spend the next two hours searching CNC machines online and devising ways in my head to sell the idea on the Mrs. One can dream.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA

4eyWAzb.jpg
I'm starting to hate you. <drool>

Reactions: awsum140

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I know whenever I see a post by Jonnie that I'm going to drool and try to justify a CNC vertical mill, yet again.
If I found a cnc mill for $200 it wouldn't do me any good. I have no experience at that kind of thing. I love most of Jonnie stuff, I get so damn jealous (yeah I said it!)

I hate to admit this, I love unique things... Or not run of the mill (off the shelf) stuff... But alas, champagne taste, SODA BUDGET (I can't even afford the damn beer!)

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
I appreciate everyone's kind words. It has been a real challenge and taken over 15 months to get to this point on the M4. There has been more scrap produced in my garage than mods. Finally starting to turn the corner now but it wasn't easy!

Thought about writing a whole long essay about my modding journey. Instead I'll just say that I have been very fortunate to be able to pursue the hobby to this level.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I appreciate everyone's kind words..

Did you read my post? I hate you! ;)

Just kidding of course.... I would love to be able to create stuff like that, but alas whatever talent I have (none, btw), lay elsewhere.

You've definitely evolved (so to speak) in design. Though the first ones you did were still nice. The faceplate alone has improved significantly.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Jonnie really great job you're doing. I still have difficult with a soldering iron:facepalm:. I salute your hard work.

Just remember to pick up the soldering iron by the cool or cord end and you'll be fine. :)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Just remember to pick up the soldering iron by the cool or cord end and you'll be fine. :)
Hahaha... you'll only pick it up wrong, once. I slid it in between my fingers once while I was looking at something else. Smelled burnt flesh first and then intense pain. :shock:

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Finished up the milling on the main body and covers for this one today. It's kind of funky ... did a herringbone or tire tread type pattern on the front and rear covers. It will have brass trim rings and buttons. Front cover and probably the 510 connector will be cerakoted blue.

4NbMNq5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread