Mimmicking the Real Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfisher

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Springfield, Ohio, USA
Hey everyone. I'm new around here, and generally new to the idea of vaping. I've been smoking cigarettes for the past 7 years and am interested in finding an electronic cigarette which, as closely as possible, mimicks the experience of a real cigarette. As a little background, I picked up my first electronic cigarette about a week ago (a blu disposable) and actually liked it for the most part. Other than the size and weight, it's draw resembled that of a real cigarette. Furthermore, I felt less congested the day after having tried it. So with that experience in mind, I decided to pick up a blu starter kit. And what a mistake that was. Unlike the disposable model, I feel like I have to suck on the rechargeable model like a power vacuum just to get the battery to start working. Basically, it's the opposite of what I'm looking for. So after having tried the blu, I decided to try a Fin, which was a little better than the blu, but tasted like a dirty shoe (or at least like what a dirty shoe smells like). Finally, I invested in a cheap ego knockoff (called an E-Lluminate) at the local smoke shop and some liquid. I seems to draw and hit well, but I'm not so keen on vaping it in public yet. With all of this in mind, I did some research and stumbled upon the Oval eMini, which looks like it might just be what I'm looking for. However, before I spend $70 on a new device, I'd kind of like to know if it draws like a normal cigarette (i.e. if I can mindlessly puff on it rather than actively working as hard as I can to get the battery started). Could anyone with one of these minis comment?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
HI bfisher and welcome to ECF. The real, complete, deal is impossible to reproduce without burning vegetation (tobacco), but suppliers have created some juices that attempt it flavor wise. As for draw, I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. I'll leave the suggestions to those members that know this stuff. Best of luck with it!

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Hello and welcome ... I am not familiar with the Ovale emini however, I vaped on mostly analog styles, and Ego 1100mah batts w/cartos for my first two years of vaping. As such, I was a big fan of KR808D-1 analog style, and Kanger bottom coil cartomizers. In my experience the 808D's are the best analog style ecigs. There are many "re-branded" 808's out there ie: Volt, smokeless image, and my favorite of the re-branded types Bloog ... If aesthetics are not a big deal, then I would go with a basic Kanger 808 kit, which are the most inexpensive. If you want a more stylish analog, The Bloog brand of 808's I liked alot, and the batts are very good quality (better than Volt IMO and experience), but they are also the most expensive (not insane though). The only downside that I found with Bloog, was that while their branded cartos worked with other 808 batteries (such as the original Kanger 808D battery), other 808 cartos did not work on the Bloog battery, which was a bummer.

Like you, as much as I loved my Ego batts, I did not like vaping them out in public (the one time I did someone thought it was [something else]:( .. no buneno)... Unless Joyetech has improved their 510 analog style batteries ( I haven't purchased any in over a year) I would avoid them as they were not that good ... but I have had great luck with knock off 510 analog style batteries.

**note** the #'s 808 and 510 refer to the threading type of batteries and/or atomizer/cartomizers.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrsun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
los angeles
I started off with disposables as well namely the Njoy King, and they were probably the best imitation of analogs that I have tried. They even have real paper wrapping on the battery and mouthpiece to mimic a real cigarette. The only problem was they were $8.50 per and I needed 3 to get through the day. After that I got a eroll mini and fell in love. It draws great and produces a lot of flavor and vapor for such a little unit. I still highly recommend it even though i have moved on and now use a reo 2.1 with a rba for my daily vape. The eroll still sit in a prominent spot in my vaping cabinet as a backup incase the reo ever goes down, but if needed i would not hesitate to pull out the eroll and put it to use.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Even though I still favor the Ovale Elips, I popped for the Ovale Mini this week. I go through Customs to and from Mexico almost every week, and need something that does not draw even the slightest interest from a Customs agent in either country ...

I know, here are those who believe that we should "educate" officials about vaping and PVs. But at the moment you are standing helpless in front of an armed 20-something CBP puffed up with his (or her) first ever opportunity to exert authority over anyone else, its sometimes difficult to get them past the need to identify contraband, when they see something they don't immediately recognize. I just want to get home without spending an hour in secondary explaining that the device I'm carrying is legal and only for personal use ...

Until its explained to them by their superiors, its a suspicious device. I recently had a young female CBP agent fuss for 15 minutes over a sealed bottle of iced tea, a brand that is sold in the US ...

The Mini PCC looks so much like an iPhone, I doubt it would get a second glance ...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I think we all start of with wanting to " mimic the experience of a real cigarette", but as you get into it you will find that there is a whole new world out there that is so much better than the real deal.

I haven't smoked in quite a while, and the LAST thing I want is for vaping to remind me of smoking.
    So my e-cigs don't look like a cigarette, taste like a cigarette, and damn sure don't smell like a cigarette.

OH-and there are now more vape shops around here than there are smoke shops, so the authorities are well versed on what e-cigs are.

Last edited:

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
    Oct 1, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yep, most recent converts from analogs want to exactly replicate the analog experience.....for a few weeks

The trouble is that the dimensions of an analog simply isn't large enough to house a battery that will last very long between charges. By going slightly larger (808 or Ego) you can get enough power to last all day.

Anytime you have a rechargeable battery, you can screw off the head (cartomizer, etc) which means you can screw something else back on as long as it shares the same thread style (808, 510, Ego, etc). The battery itself does nothing for draw, as long as it is a manual (i.e. pushbutton) battery. Automatic batteries use suction to complete the circuit rather than a pushbutton, so they can take more force (suction) to operate.

Experiment with different brands and styles of heads and you'll find that the "draw" can be hardier or easier, airy or tight, warm or cool, flavorful or muted, and lots of vapor production or very little. Even modifying the head by restricting or opening up the air holes/vents can change things to your liking. And even wicks and batting can change the vape. And the coils themselves. And the PG/VG percentages of the liquids. And....and....and....

So it takes some trial and error, and some reading here on ECF

I will tell you that 99% of us who have vaped more than a few weeks have gotten over the size thing, and have even changed tastes (literally, as your taste buds come back) away from traditional cigarette flavors (if you can call them that).

Have fun! It's a process

rico942

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    For me, it was never about using a particular style of PV just because it approximated the size of an analog. Its more about convenience and stealth, light enough to slip in a pocket, and a shape that does not raise questions and hostile responses ...

This week, I'm trying out the Ovale Mini (eRoll), and like others, I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the throat hit (with a 36mg menthol juice). The battery life issue is mitigated by the PCC, its always on charge when not in use. People have been mistaking the PCC for an iPhone, which is fine with me ...

I read a post here from a guy who keeps a "pack" of eRolls with him, and switches to another when the tank is dry. At about $20 each in parts, I might carry 3 or 4 of them, that would get me through a day easily ...

Sure looking forward to future battery options, with the necessary power in a 7mm or smaller shell ...

Zoom

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 12, 2013
    Tampa,fl,USA
    Welcome and I am a fan of a eroll type to start only went a week then went to ego wanted more went to Evic wanted back up went to MVP2.0. Now daily MVP2.0 user with evic as change of pace. I like the all for different reasons and rotate them all. Good luck on your journey and get what ever works for you.

bfisher

ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2013
    Springfield, Ohio, USA
    Hey everyone! Figured I'd pop back in and update the thread with my findings. I did, in fact, decide upon the Ovale emini. My brother went with the Ovale elips-c. After a couple days of solid vaping, I can say that I am definitely more than satisfied. I initially tried the standard resistance atomizers that came with the device, but have since decided that I much prefer the low resistance attys. Apart from the weight of the emini (which I'm rapidly adjusting to), the experience is almost identical to smoking a real cigarette. The biggest difference I've found is in the taste. I just can't get over how amazing it is to vaporize some blueberry vanilla cake!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm definitely looking forward to the journey ahead!

dice57

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    Good to hear you found something satisfying. That's the main thing. There are so many options out there that research and reviews can save you money and frustration. When one finds that they want more, time to search again. And then it can be just wanting to expand the collection, style and type of vape. Have fun on your journey.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread