Mini vFate Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a top-coil glass tank alternative to the iClear 16 which had served me well until I started vaping some new juices which caused the polycarbonate to degrade. I decided to order a Vision vFate mini and have been using this with a Volt X2 900 mAh battery with 808-to-510 adapter for about 2 weeks now. There are a few issues which have come up:

1) After carefully refilling and assuring that all connections are tight (including the internal post-to-coil), after a few vapes fluid seeps through somewhere and pools at the bottom of the oval metal window opening.

2) The longer wicks of the i16 reached down nearly to the bottom of the tank. The wicks in the vfate stock coil are quite short, and you either have to refill frequently or else tip and roll or invert the unit to keep the wicks from going dry.

3) It is next to impossible for me to visualize the juice level balance through the window unless the juice is darkly colored.

If anyone has any advice as to how to handle issues #1 and #2 (maybe trying to fit an O-ring or something to that effect into the top metal connector piece), I would appreciate that.

On the plus side, my order was processed and delivered to me in a speedy manner.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I know that tipping and rolling has been a common complaint with some but I'm not sure why. With top coils... even ones with long wicks... tipping and rolling has always been the recommended method. I never had an issue with that simply because I vape like I smoked cigarettes, horizontally and not vertically as if they were straws. In fact, I still do it that way even with the bottom coils I now use typically... hard to teach an ole' dog new tricks I guess.

My favorite vid by PBusardo is about this issue... later, he got used to it... but it is still a funny vid.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
i could never understand the issue people have with tipping, way over 90% of all people who switch to vaping are using stick styles and i would think that almost all of them vape that stick style in the same manner they smoked in. For some reason now people say they vape 100% verticaly which if works for them all cool but i even vape anything in the same manner when i smoked and that means it will get titled at some piont and will wet the wicks at the right point. Everyone has different vaping styles and i get that but i just dont see the big deal with tilting at all.

Thanks for the responses.

I ordered 2 of these units, initially wanted to keep the second as a spare. But with the leaking issue I decided to open and fill the second one. No leaking whatsoever.

Points #2 and #3 in my OP were comments, the leak was my main concern. I personally have no problem tipping and inverting the unit to keep the wick wet once I know the seal is good.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
Thanks for the responses.

I ordered 2 of these units, initially wanted to keep the second as a spare. But with the leaking issue I decided to open and fill the second one. No leaking whatsoever.

Points #2 and #3 in my OP were comments, the leak was my main concern. I personally have no problem tipping and inverting the unit to keep the wick wet once I know the seal is good.

i have been working with the factory to ensure we solve any leaking issue as we want to make sure that none of them do in any way. I will update everyone shortly once production on the next line starts.

phephner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
SF Bay Area
1) After carefully refilling and assuring that all connections are tight (including the internal post-to-coil), after a few vapes fluid seeps through somewhere and pools at the bottom of the oval metal window opening.
3) It is next to impossible for me to visualize the juice level balance through the window unless the juice is darkly colored.

You can solve the first problem by wiping off the threads on both the cap and the tube whenever you refill. What you are experiencing is small amounts of juice from inside the cap being forced down the outside threads of the tube when you replace the cap. it them seeps down inside the metal sleeve.

As for not being able to see the juice level, I experienced this with the Vision SVT tubes that have a similarly slotted metal sleeve. This was made worse in those instances when the wick coincidentally lines up with the window when tightened after assembly.

My solution was to replace them with the regular transparent Vivi Nova tubes.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I actually prefer the transparent setup. Unfortunately, I don't see a mini Vivi similar to the mini vFate with a glass tube. If I'm missing this, please point me in the right direction.

There isn't a glass one since they couldn't be threaded... and there were no mention of any being glass. There are clear tubes available none the less

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
i have been working with the factory to ensure we solve any leaking issue as we want to make sure that none of them do in any way. I will update everyone shortly once production on the next line starts.

Just going to stick my oar in the water so I see updates on this thread. I just recently got 10 of the VFATE 1.8 ohm heads -- didn't realize that's what they were when I ordered, I just clicked on the 1.8 heads without looking. Hard to tell where the leak is, except it must be through the air holes. I'm guessing it's wicking too well. Initially, it vaped great, but lately it vapes like it's flooded. Put a 2nd one in a different tank, and I'm watching that to see what happens. I'm using Mini-Novas, on 3.7V mechanical APVs.

Don't know the PG/VG ratio on the leaker; it's Nick's Blissful Smoked Custard.

Is the 1.8 single-coil discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread