Minors vaping e-cigs on YouTube January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Whether or not he "needs" it, it's illegal for him to have it. Sorry but I highly disagree with you. What the kid needs is corrective authority...basically, his backside tanned.

WRONG. It is Not illegal for teens to possess and use e-cigs everywhere. I't is only illegal to sell to minors and in some cities they have banned e-cig use to minors in Public. Never in the privacy of their own home with the parents consent.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
OK so I thumbed down the last video in the first post, its still on youtube. I also flagged. I just wanted to share this video that I found while surfing youtube for info on my NuvoCig.
Its so sad that a few people can ruin it for the adults, but the internet is the wild west of the 21st century. Everyone be sure to continue posting any minors using e-cigs to this forum so we can flag the videos! This is one of the worst of the vids i've seen!!

1. He says its blueberry flavor (we would NOT want our flavors taken away from us for something like this. I don't want uncle sam saying the kids are smoking my cotton candy e-juice so I can't have it anymore...
2. 0:50 Just watch, you'll cringe.
3. "Lot of kids in my school just sneak this into class."

Vid needs to be taken down.

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
His parents could have bought this for him.. and if it was bought online with a credit card, they probably did - there is no way this kid can get a credit card.

Actually, your wrong. I'm 21 and I don't yet have a credit card. My e-bay store and all my online purchases are done with the Visa Greendot card. Although specifically, the VisaGreendotCorp. does verify that you are of 18+ years of age when registering your card to your social security number, a VisaGreendot does not need to be registered. Also, there are Visa/Mastercard gift cards one can purchase at any gas station and use online to buy 18+ items.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I say let this teen answer my questions on this:

Are you currently a smoker? The teens who sneak these into class.. are they smokers? Is anyone here wanting to switch to e-cigs who are current smokers and want to get away from the harm smoking does?

If this teen is not a smoker then i suggest it be taken down. BUT I also do not like his comment that he bought this without anyone seeing an ID. If you guys do not flag this.. and let it stay up, then you can have something to show the company and authorities that this company may be selling illegally to minors.

I'm a reasonable guy. I am all for teens vaping if they need them to get off cigarettes, but if the video is just some guy smarting off, then it's wrong.

In this case I think there is a greater issue, the one of the company selling to minors. This video can be used as evidence against the company as long as it remains on youtube by the poster. You making a copy of it won't work.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I'm definitely not a prude when it comes to these kind of things. I was once a minor smoker. (I've been a PAD smoker since my 14th birthday) When I first found e-cigarettes online, I asked my mom to get me one at the local cigar shop. The internet is the wild west, and its hard to stop minors from stealing their dad's credit card, or buying a visa gift card, popping online and buying a 30ml bottle of nic juice and a battyatty combo... And until our government mandates a way to verify age through online purchases, the companies shouldn't be penalized for having a minor slip through. The problem is we don't all see it this way, and some believe its the company's fault for loose security. When I was younger, I was big in the entheogen online forums scene. I was a 24/7 entheogen forum poster. When videos of kids smoking Salvia began surfacing on the internet, there was a buzzing wasps nest of posters on my entheogen forums, and SOME of us flagged the videos, but ultimately most of them stayed online. Look what happened to Salvia as a result? We lost it in over 30 states. So, I do believe in flagging underage users of e-cigs. Whether or not the videos are helping other minors get off cigarettes, we need to save e-cigarettes all together or no one will be able to enjoy them. There are plenty of adult videos that minors can watch... We need to come together as a forum and search and destroy the minor videos if we want as little attention from the fed as possible.

Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
If we lose all our rights to vape but these videos save just One teens life, then I'm all for it ! I will never understand how you people can be so cold and heartless to these teens who need help.

Keep spouting off without proof.. you say these don't help anyone.. BIG BS. I am collecting stories from these teens and many of them have started using e-cigs to quit smoking because of these teen videos.

It's working, teen smokers are learning how to live without smoking through e-cigs. You want to discourage that.. How evil IMO.

You want to keep throwing dirt at people who disagree with you and call them evil, take a look in the mirror. You are so hell bent on being right you can't even see logic. I hope to god that addicted teens use WHATEVER it takes to get off of cigarettes before it takes their lives like it does so many millions of others. I DO NOT want to see videos of it as there is NO REASON to make them other than promote the use of them to minors and possibly get the entire life saving idea banned until Big Pharma can figure out how to make a $1000 version you can only buy with a prescription.

First you say you would promote the use of these through peer marketing on youtube to possibly help the 6 million teen smokers even though the other 18 million non smoking teens might pick up an addiction by doing it saying it is just collateral damage. Now you say if you save just 1 teen from smoking then a complete ban of e-cigs is fine by you. Can you possibly contradict yourself any more? What about the millions and millions of adults who would now be forced back to analogs as well because you wanted to be right? Hopefully there are more people with sense that help take these things down, I for one would rather win the current battle and get e-cigs accepted as a safe alternative FIRST and then move on to the issue of minors. If you want to pick an impossible battle and lose the entire war over it, keep in mind the court of public opinion is what will be your downfall not a forum.

If the point you were trying to make was to help teens quit I agreed right away, but its sadly not. This is you wanting to take a fragile situation and push it beyond the brink for your own personal agenda. Those videos reach billions of people throughout the world and will be smoking guns in the courts for why these devices are bad. The kids can watch videos from well known e-cig reviewers if they need the information and click the links to ECF to find the support and information they need, the possible damage of these videos far outweighs the possible impact of a few solid reviews by teen smokers. Let them use e-cigs in private to get off the analogs there is no need for global videos.

Stop being selfish you are not only trying to doom teen smokers to have no alternative, you are going to do the same to the rest of us in the process. If you really wanted to help them you would encourage them to bring their stories here and to take down the videos so they can continue to use what is proven to work.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
J808
Listen, I'm no fool. I regretted that statement as soon as I made it but dammit people.. try to find some middle ground here for these teens sake. None of you are willing to do that.

So whats the answer? I'll tell you. Have a video place like Youtube just for teens where it is not illegal to post such videos.. that way, you wont have to see them, and they can still get their life saving message out to their peers.

But no, you wont be happy with that will you.

Give me ONE suggestion.. just One where you can give a little ground for these kids. I bet no one of you will do it. If that makes you all a bunch of double standard hypocrites, then if the shoe fits....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plumes.91,

Your kidding right? Comparing e-cigs to Salvia? Salvia was not banned because there were videos of people using it. It was banned because people were using it to get high on. There is a big difference between the two. So you say Salvia may have some medicinal uses and it may, but so do tons of other plants out there. It is also something that's abused. E-juice is benign compared to salvia. A teen cannot get high on it. A teen cannot get killed on it. The only things that can happen to them are benefits of quitting smoking.

What else do any of you have to offer these kids? Nothing. E-cigs are their best hope and you know it. If you don't want to see the videos dont watch them. Has it occurred to you guys that This Thread is pointing the FDA in the direction of those videos? This thread may be the very thing itself that causes the FDA to look at them.

If I were you and really don't want to call the FDA's attention to these videos, I suggest you stop making these threads.

You all seem to be forgetting that it is not illegal everywhere for teens to use a tobacco product, only buy it. For those teens who are legally possessing e-cigs, your dead wrong to flag those videos.

You say you care about these teens? Prove it. Show me One of these teens that you have talked to.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Ground for teens?

Use the e cig, don't promote it virally on youtube, don't sell it to your friends. Use it to manage your nicotine habbit. Get your parents approval.

Stop posting thread topics?

How many parents have caught their teen sneaking a vape on thier PV? <---------- This is yours John.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I would much rather shoot the kids private messages asking them to take them down themselves, and educating them on our beliefs, on why we think its a bad idea for a minor to blatantly be saying "They totally didn't card me bros, haha." Because the problem is, that if kids are slipping through and PURCHASING e-cigs without parental consent, then the system is kind-of flawed, if the system is flawed, the fed/states will tighten up. Of course prohibition doesn't work... But don't the fed/state governments TRY to TIGHTEN laws as TIGHT as possible? So what happens when we can only buy e-cigarettes face to face with ID? Do you want to drive 3 counties over for a new bottle of juice? Thats all I'm thinking about John. I love e-cigarettes, I love that they ARE saving people from cancer. My father died of cancer and I would give my legs to rid the world of cancers forever.. But what I am concerned about is NOT being able to get e-cig and e-cig juices/accessories online, or a general tightening of laws locally and on federal scale. That type of thing scares me. Khat, Salvia, jwh, they all went down this road and ALL OF THEM are now banned in all or a majority of states and towns. NO kids aren't getting high on nicotine, but non-smokers (the MAJORITY, REMEMBER?) still see cigarettes as a psychoactive substance used to catch a buzz, do they NOT? And do they NOT see catching a buzz as bad? I am worried that these kids, are going to bring attention to e-cigs in an bad way. It WORRIES us man, thats all we're saying. So we're trying to do what we can to keep the instances where there are available vids of minors using e-cigs on Youtube.

My town, for instance, from the time I started smoking, (age 14) until I turned 17, it was alright for me to possess and smoke cigarettes. (I just couldn't buy them) But because more and more kids were smoking outside of our two high-schools each morning and every afternoon, we began making the paper... Pictures of us smoking outside of the schools, across the street. Adults that DON'T smoke in the legislative offices DO NOT LIKE SMOKERS OR NICOTINE! That is why they tax the crap out of us! They don't understand us smokers, and they certainly don't understand the fairly new e-cigs. When I turned 17 they made it ILLEGAL to possess and/or smoke cigarettes under the age of 18 in my town. I just fear that similar things can happen to e-cigarettes. Will the fed make it illegal to possess e-cigs under age 18 if these videos keep showing up? The very thing your defending? Will the fed take a disliking to e-cigs all-together and make them illegal on a united scale? I don't know man, I think we're all just being paranoid and trying to keep e-cigs out of the wrong hands. I don't think its wrong for a 16 year old smoker to quit using e-cigs, but the videos make me worry that they will be seen by the wrong people, and the laws will tighten, thats all.

Or will the fed ignore the videos or never even become aware of the videos? I honestly don't really know. I was just thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to talk to the kids via youtube PM or even comments, ask them to take the vids down, because I don't want to see e-cigs go the way of the popular entheogens. They are already banning flavored tobaccos federally, or they already have. Some states or towns, I'm not sure which, are already BANNING MENTHOL CIGARETTES... You SEE the freedom and liberty we sit back and allow to go down the drain, the patriot act for instance... I just don't want to see e-cigarette laws tightening up. Whatever, I give up. I see your argument too, and I'm satisfied with what I've posted here. Hopefully we've both brought differing arguments to the ecf table and the members reading this will be able to choose they're side, A. flag the videos, B. believe they should stay up or C. be too lazy to read any of this thread in the first place... Which do you think Americans will choose?

Last edited:

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
for a month, instead of posting the video links in a thread I sent PM's to these minor's explaining why i took issue with the vid and asked them to consider taking them down. Because some thread followers thought that was the fair thing to do.
the reply across the board - "whateva, i do what I want"
at the end of the month i posted the vids in the thread back to back, they are all black screens now.

Maybe this thread can make it easy to find these vids by people that want to take our e-cigs. Maybe typing "e-cig" into the search bar in youtube is just as easy. Maybe typing into google "underage electronic cigarette use" returns this thread as the first search result. If i was a reporter and wanted to stir up trouble, 5 minutes on google would give me all the ammo i need for a juicy story. All the more reason to get the vids taken down as quick as possible, so when those eyes inevitably do get here all they see are empty black boxes where the vids used to be.

You know what one of the vendors said to me (a vendor I notified that there products were being marketed by an underage vapor)? They said "oh, i didn't even think to check youtube".

Last edited:

Cyatis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Stratford, Wisconsin
First off, I'm not against minors using ecigs to get off of smoking or as even harm reduction. (Pretty large concession I think.) This is far from prohibition.

I don't encourage any non-smokers to vape, and some may argue that its safe, however if its not needed why take the chance?

I am against face to face selling them to minors, not because the child won't do the right thing, but some of the vendors may not. Most are good, but it just takes one really bad apple to ruin it for the rest.

I think internet sale restrictions are silly because they are very hard to enforce, and the only person that will pay is the honest vendor who got lied to when he asked how old the person was. There is also the point, that the person looking for them on the internet, isn't being solicited to.

I think advertising smoking and or vaping to minors will do more harm than good. There are more non-smokers than smoking minors in the world.

I believe that many of these videos do not promote vaping in a responsible way, and therefore should be removed if nothing else, to preserve their right to vape. There are plenty of videos with adults who vape on the internet.

Last edited:

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Both reported and I commented on the first one in swedish. I do believe he is in sweden. I used a translator.

"Pardon mu swedish: Please take down your video as it is counterproductive in our war against laws banning them. I understand it may not be illegal in sweden but this the videos do not help our cause."

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Really happy to see that the video I posted was taken down by the youtube user. I just want to say thank you, sincerely, to the youtube user. I know it was probably a pain to take down your video but hopefully by taking it down, you did contribute to a larger cause... I hope. So, thank you. Maybe you'll join the ecf and see this one day.

Last edited:

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Has it occurred to you guys that This Thread is pointing the FDA in the direction of those videos? This thread may be the very thing itself that causes the FDA to look at them.

If I were you and really don't want to call the FDA's attention to these videos, I suggest you stop making these threads.

Yes and our thread has explained our point on why we take it down every day. They want proof for a reason to ban ecigs. We ban them way faster than they can use them. a video rip is against youtubes TOS as well as doesn't prove that a video is on the net. It only proves that you have a video of a kid smoking an ecigarette. This wouldn't strengthen their point any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread