Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
what are they going to do as an encore video, drink a 5th of Jack Daniels?

Why do we as adults have to pay the price for kids breaking the law?

Yes I am ignoring the request not to debate in this thread because I disagree with what is happening here. If you think that by taking videos off Youtube you have solved a problem then you have my sympathy as that is a head-in-the-sand solution. All you are doing is replacing a collection of videos you feel are wrong right here on our forum, nice and easy for our detractors to find without much searching. By that same tenet, requests should come flooding in for those videos to be removed from this site.
As adults we carry the responsibility as role models for our (everybody's) children, so what many of those kids are doing is copying what they have seen adults doing on Youtube - check out how many videos there are by adults praising and effectively marketing electronic cigarettes. That is the example we are setting for our children, justifying our guilty pleasure by using rhetoric to compare it to tobacco smoking.

I remember when I was kid and doing much worse than vaping an ecig, so much so that now my lungs are shot. Did anyone with the power to do so consider banning cigarettes because kids smoked? Nah!
So, on the up side, if these kids are vaping rather than smoking tobacco, it might save them from serious, or even fatal, illness. Maybe we should campaign to target youngsters who are smoking and get them off tobacco and on to zero nic ecigs as a first step to freedom?
The one thing that does bug me is adults who have forgotten they were once kids and who perpetuate a generation gap. Exclusion and derision is hardly likely to change their perceptions of smoking, but inclusion and education might.
Waving a big stick at kids either makes them laugh at you or antagonises them, so how about some constructive videos on Youtube highlighting the dangers of tobacco and bringing a real perspective to our argument that ecigs are better but quitting is even better still, rather than this 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude.

Best wishes

John

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
I see both sides of this coin...Those who do vaping related youtube videos should be making sure they are only for mature viewers(I believe that is an option on youtube) while it will not keep kids from seeing it. I will make it to were maybe less see it. Also I was a kid once and one that started smoking at a fairly young age...Kids are going to get cigarettes if they want them...That goes for real one or electronic ones. at the same time though I do think these kids are just plain darn stupid for posting that stuff on youtube...I got a way with a lot of stuff as a kid and was very sneaky...first rule of being sneaky and getting away with stuff is don't leave evidence and since video that the whole world can see is huge evidence I am pretty sure that is the easiest way to get caught. I am not condoning the actions, Just saying that I was a kid once too...but a smart one.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
I do think these kids are just plain darn stupid for posting that stuff on youtube...I got a way with a lot of stuff as a kid and was very sneaky...first rule of being sneaky and getting away with stuff is don't leave evidence and since video that the whole world can see is huge evidence I am pretty sure that is the easiest way to get caught. I am not condoning the actions, Just saying that I was a kid once too...but a smart one.

Empowerment is what Youtube is about for many, famous for 15 minutes, or longer. It's a bit like remote graffiti I guess.

Cheers
John

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I remember when I was kid and doing much worse than vaping an ecig, so much so that now my lungs are shot. Did anyone with the power to do so consider banning cigarettes because kids smoked? Nah!
So, on the up side, if these kids are vaping rather than smoking tobacco, it might save them from serious, or even fatal, illness. Maybe we should campaign to target youngsters who are smoking and get them off tobacco and on to zero nic ecigs as a first step to freedom?
The one thing that does bug me is adults who have forgotten they were once kids and who perpetuate a generation gap. Exclusion and derision is hardly likely to change their perceptions of smoking, but inclusion and education might.
Waving a big stick at kids either makes them laugh at you or antagonises them, so how about some constructive videos on Youtube highlighting the dangers of tobacco and bringing a real perspective to our argument that ecigs are better but quitting is even better still, rather than this 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude.

Best wishes

John

I half agree with you here where you say emphasis on education is important to children, and letting them know that they have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. Do I think that will work for the majority of kids? Maybe. Maybe not. Some kids will be curious and try smoking or vaping anyway. Others will do it just to be defiant as they begin to seek independence in their teen years. All you can do as a parent is give them the information, enforce the rules of the house, and hope for the best.

One thing I will disagree with in your statement is the adversity to the 'do as I say, not as I do' parenting method. I honestly don't care if my kids thought I was a hypocrite as they were growing up, they knew the rules and the consequences, as did I when I was growing up. I really don't adhere to the strict "reason with your kids" parenting technique, and some times you just need to lay down the law.

Edit: Apologies to the OP for going off topic. When I read anything that remotely resembles "new age" parenting or parenting through legislation, I tend to get on a soap box. I'll try to contain myself and not pollute your thread any further.

Last edited:

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
I half agree with you here where you say emphasis on education is important to children, and letting them know that they have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. Do I think that will work for the majority of kids? Maybe. Maybe not. Some kids will be curious and try smoking or vaping anyway. Others will do it just to be defiant as they begin to seek independence in their teen years. All you can do as a parent is give them the information, enforce the rules of the house, and hope for the best.

One thing I will disagree with in your statement is the adversity to the 'do as I say, not as I do' parenting method. I honestly don't care if my kids thought I was a hypocrite as they were growing up, they knew the rules and the consequences, as did I when I was growing up. I really don't adhere to the strict "reason with your kids" parenting technique, and some times you just need to lay down the law.

Edit: Apologies to the OP for going off topic. When I read anything that remotely resembles "new age" parenting or parenting through legislation, I tend to get on a soap box. I'll try to contain myself and not pollute your thread any further.

Kids might know the rules but, like I was for so many years, are unaware of their mortality, and that's why I have a passion to educate and will try harder than just giving them information and hoping for the best. You have to get right inside their minds and souls to have a chance of effecting change and that does take a lot of commitment and determination. Some people will give more than others, it's a personal choice that's all.
I wouldn't say I was 'new age', I follow the role and methods that my Father showed me and he died 47 years ago.

Cheers
John

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA

The request for no debate was ignored by many a long time ago. I guess there is no helping it so carry on forum. One reason why I usually make new threads every few months. The videos in new threads get 20-30 dislikes and flags and are removed immediatly. On a thread with this many pages there are still 1-2 videos that only have 4 dislikes and have not been removed.

I don't understand, I made a debate thread for people to debate. Also if they disagree so much, they should read my past posts in the thread before they start a negative topic.

All you are doing is replacing a collection of videos you feel are wrong right here on our forum, nice and easy for our detractors to find without much searching. By that same tenet, requests should come flooding in for those videos to be removed from this site.

I've already responded to this and hate repeating myself. Why participate if you won't read all the posts in a thread first?

(copied from one of my earlier posts)
Once one is posted here it doesn't last very long, if you've recently re read through the whole thread how many black screens did you scroll past?

These vids are not here to look at and stay on this site forever, they are here to be taken down.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread