Mistic Electronic Cigarette in-depth review w/photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
I prefer to refill, but since I live spitting distance from a Wal-mart, I'd like to know I can get cartos there if need be; people have been saying that the battery connection threads are the same diameter & pitch as an 808d1, but they stick out farther from the battery and there fore go deeper into the carto, which means that 808d1 cartos will work on the Mistic battery but the Mistic cartos probably won't work on an 808d1 battery (or presumably a 510-808 adapter) so, anybody found a way around that yet-a factory or homemade adaptor? If I bought some here in town I could probably file a little off the end, but if I was on the road-well, I'd be 'screwed', unless I bought the whole kit.

underice

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2012
United States
Mistics were the brand that got me off regular cigs....same story as others here, great battery life, good vapor and cheap. I'm cleaing and refilling the cartridges and they seem to be fine as the weeks go by. The regular 808 carts do leave a gap but it doesn't seem to matter to the function.

I'm sure I'll move on tomore advanced hardware but for a beginner I don't think there's a better option out of the box bought from a retail store. And I've tried some pretty bad e-cigs bought from truck stops and head shops...

bemorphy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi, this is my second type of e cig after e-cigs brand. Makes e-cigs seem very weak. About voltage. I took the led end cap off and put the leads of a volt meter on the tiny spots where the red and black wire lead. It reads 4v. Ohms my meter and I not sure how to check. But after half a day I checked again and it was 3.6 volts. I also got juice from a vendor and refill them. yet I am ready for the next step as I still feel that I am always running out of battery or juice one way or the other.
Good product tho far better than disposables or e-cigs brand.

poetofisis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Gillette, WY
www.hotheadvapor.com
They're none too shabby to start with. Could think of worse ways to spend your money. They're 901 threaded, FYI. 901 carts are threaded too deeply to fire on an 808 if memory serves, however, 808d carts will work, but require being slightly loose to allow airflow. From my experience the Volt carts burned a lil hot on the Mistic batt...

bemorphy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks, now I know what size carts they are. Not that I will buy any more of them. I recently used a connector from the shack and it works pretty good. Anyway, moving to a 510 thingy, this one Storm Clear Tube Mod 510-2ML - $10.99 : Stormys Vapor Cellar, Electronic Cigarettes & More and will put it on a flashlight mod that I made for the mistic, of course with new 510 connector. See if that gives me a boost. Then, I can turn the innards of this atomizer into a larger tank mod. whoop. Still vaping mistics, best I got right now. Note: 5 pack of mistic carts 15 bucks, a bit steep too.

bemorphy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Got the shipment from Stormys and I cannot begin to describe the diff between cartos and this tube. If there is anything cleaner, tastier, smoother, fresher. let me know. Did a few new things too.
Bought a battery box from the shack and got it modded with 4 aaa recharger bats, works nice. Hope it lasts longer than the old 808 e cig bat. Also took a usb cable and a car lighter charger and combined them into using my usb 5 v power source, also working quite well. Like the 5v power.

Next i plan to get a 5 pack of clearomizers so I can have one for clove, one for Red Bull- (awesome flavor) and ry4. Plus I may just do a syringe mod on one of them to hold a bit more. Went thru a whole tube in one day vaping like a mad man, it is so clean and tasty.

Ideas: 9v or 12v vaping with a bit higher resistance coil wire, beefier coil. Just wondering why we limit ourselves from 3 to 6 volts? Any techie could figure this out. What is it?
Thanks again and happy vaping.
terry

Mattdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Chicago
My video review of the mystic ecig...

Mistic Ecig Review - YouTube

Sent via cellular communication device...

Good review! I don't know if it's actually been confirmed, but the guess' were right, my 808 carto did fit on the Mistic battery (with a gap) and vaped, however my 808 Volt battery screwed on and did not vape due to the female threads being too long to make the connection with the battery. IMO, this would be a decent starter/emergency kit to have/try. Can't beat that price. Found it at Walmart, just said "what the heck?" and tried it.

Last edited:

zonezilla

Mar 19, 2012
maryland, usa
a great product for the price also you can take some sandpaper and sand the paint off and remove the sticker from the carto for a really nice stainless steel look Picture 13.jpg

Herzeleid14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
I have been using the Mistic for a couple months now and I am impressed with the battery life so far. The carto definitely is not an E9/KR808D2. As you mention the 808D-1 carto will screw onto the battery with a gap and is usable. Still trying to find out what design this is but it does work great for me cleaning and refilling the cartos that come with the Mistic.

Edit:

Now that most Walmarts nation wide will start carrying the Mistic, obtaining the hardware, (ie: batteries, cartos, kits) will be much easier to obtain. No more 45 minute drives just to pick up a carto refill pack or single carto/battery unit. I will now be able to concentrate on available eliquid and DIY. :))
How do you go about cleaning the cartos? i refill mine, but i would like to get the most out of each one.

Last edited:

CallTheMouse

Sep 30, 2011
USA
Hi there, I clean mine by boiling in water. Make sure before boiling in water you remove both the plastic cap and silicon plug. Clean them seperate in hot water but don't boil them in the pan. Place the cartos in a sauce pan, cover with tap water and boil 10 to 15 minutes. Run clean water through the cartos after each cycle of cleaning, and boil 1 or 2 more times. After boiling I shake the cartos to get as much water out, and then let them sit in a plastic bowl for about 24 to 36 hours to let them dry. You could place the rice in the bowl and it will aid in the drying or use strips of paper towels in the mouthpeice end to also draw water away from the filler material. I have found it easier to just let them air dry, check and shake again to clear any excess water from the cartos after about 12 hours. After they are dry I start to do the refill process again. I usually get 2 to 3 cleanings before I toss the cartos. I only clean them when the draw from the carto gets sluggish after a refill. After the cleaning the cartos come close to original. You will know when it is time to toss the cartomizer. It will be when even after cleaning the draw or vapor production is not up to par. Good luck.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
I am still testing to see if the 808's burn out or have other problems. But as I will be juicing, I will be cleaning several Mistic cartos just incase. I will probably use the Luer Lock Cartomizer Fill Method or something like that , susposed to work for filling and cleaning.

My question is...I was thinking of soaking full Mistic carts in isopropyl - 91% to loosen everything up before actually "flushing" the carts. Any thought/concerns??

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Mistic/Volt-808 Cartos Review

Like most, I found the Mistic battery life exceptional, add that to their availability and you have a contender. The problem is that they don't have any flavor options. Traditional or Menthol! Basically, do you want Marlboro or Newport's. In the vaping world, its all about flavors and Mistic doesn't have any. This means you need to go "after market" for flavor. Now you get into adaptability issues. Kind of a VHS-Beta-Max thing.

If your into juicing, you need blanks, flavors and all that. Mistic has none. OR, you need to clean and re-use Mistic cartos for juicing. This then means vaping Mistic flavor or basically cleaning FULL cartos($$$) to get "blanks".

I am using the Volt which has the Kr808D-1 cartos/threads and the Mistic has DSE901 cartos/threads. Putting a Kr808D-1 (Volt carto) on a DSE901(Mistic battery) leaves an air gap between the battery and the carto.

Easy fix is to put a #47 "O" ring on the battery(available at Lowe's plumbing dept.), problem solved. Problem is you need to remove the "O" ring before charging.

The Mistic has a here and now vapor. Just drag and there it is. The Volt, on the other hand, requires primer puffs before producing the vapor quality. The Mistic produces almost no sound where the Volt has a hissing air sound described as being "airy". The Mistic's vapor is "warm" right off the bat where the Volt takes a bit before it warms up, which I prefer. To have instant vapor with ambient heat would be perfect for me. I find this to be best for flavor transmission.

For some reason, when I put a Volt carto on a Mistic battery, the vapor over heats really fast. After a few drags it gets hot and burns my mouth and throat. Also makes it taste "burnt". Probably a volt/ohm mismatch. Don't know what that will do to carto life. Don't know how other 808's will work, but for me its a no go.

My plan is to use Mistic with cleaned cartos for juice development or maybe a Mistic battery w/DSE901 atomizer. I'll be sticking with the Volt for day to day vaping. Mistic might be good for emergencies on the road etc.

Bootleg

Mar 23, 2012
Coshocton Ohio
The Mistic is what got me into vaping. For its size, the battery is impressive. The cartos aren't bad either. Since I bought my Kgo, I only use them when I need free-ish hands, like driving or gardening, but in 3+ months I've only had two cartos burn out on me. And I LOVE their traditional flavor! Anybody know where to find a juice like that?

jeepchic

Aug 2, 2012
tennessee
I want to thank you for posting this review I literally read it while standing in line to buy a pack of cigarettes. I had been thinking about buying a starter kit of some sort but really did not want to pay $50 plus on a maybe. I saw the Mistic display and thought I would Google it while I waited. Had I not found it I probably would have just bought a pack of Marlboros and not given it much more thought. Thanks to you I am very happy with my introduction to e-cigs and have been smoke free for 9 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread