mix PG/VG+Nic ahead of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtbob

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Austin, TX
Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted. Thank you all very much for the great information in the DIY e-liquid section. I'm currently using a croc pot to speed up the steeping process with success. I do not have any juice that has been steeped for a month to compare it to but I'm noticing a color change and more flavor than shake and vape for sure.

My question is I just finished mixing my PG/VG for future use. Is there any reason not to add the nicotine also at this time? I just want to eliminate a step come mixing time. I use the same mg/ml for all my juices, I know to store it in a cool, dark place. We're not talking a huge quantity, around 200ml.

Just like many people I decided to make my own because of the gnikcuF bmuD sessA (FDA) messing with things they need to leave alone.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
The only thing to consider is that recipes with different flavoring percentages, nic content will vary. I make an 8mg base and just know that low flavoring percentages will be off to the high side. But it makes for quick test batches.

Edit- pg/vg ratio will also fluctuate. My base is 100% vg

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The only thing to consider is that recipes with different flavoring percentages, nic content will vary.

I don't understand how the nic can vary...just because a recipe may take more flavoring than another. I make all my liquids with 100mg/mL Nic in VG. To make my 50mL bottles of finished liquid at 6mg Nic...I always use 3mL of the Nic in VG to make a 50mL batch. The various total % of flavorings (in PG) does vary from recipe to recipe, as will the amount of plain VG, and plain PG I'll need to use in each one. The 3mL of the Nic in VG never changes though.

So, I don't get how the nic varies in yours because 1 recipe takes more flavoring than another. Please explain, so I can see if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am, but...possibly.

Actually, I don't see how anyone can mix even just their PG/VG ahead of time for use in any recipe they're going to make later...unless all the recipes they'll make will have the exact same % of flavorings in PG in them + the exact same mg of Nic in whatever base it's in.

Last edited:

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I don't understand how the nic can vary...just because a recipe may take more flavoring than another. I make all my liquids with 100mg/mL Nic in VG. To make my 50mL bottles of finished liquid at 6mg Nic...I always use 3mL of the Nic in VG to make a 50mL batch. The various total % of flavorings (in PG) does vary from recipe to recipe, as will the amount of plain VG, and plain PG I'll need to use in each one. The 3mL of the Nic in VG never changes though.

So, I don't get how the nic varies in yours because 1 recipe takes more flavoring than another. Please explain, so I can see if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am, but...possibly.

The nic will vary because if you use more percentage of flavoring then you will have less nic because there is no nic in the flavoring.If you use less flavoring then there will be more nic.

rtbob

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Austin, TX
Wow, this really screws up my e-juice calculator!
justkidding.jpg

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Yep. See what happens if your base is 40pg 60vg. You may just need to add a bit of pg, and/or possibly increase the strength of the base to 16mg. On a recipe where there is 15% flavoring a 16mg base would dilute down to about 13.6 mg, 20% flavoring would make it 12.8.

I do everything by weight and rarely use the calculators anymore. Just a piece of paper and a bit of math. I rarely fuss with pg/vg ratio as I am a max vg kinda vaper.

Wow, this really screws up my e-juice calculator! View attachment 558529

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted. Thank you all very much for the great information in the DIY E-Liquid section. I'm currently using a croc pot to speed up the steeping process with success. I do not have any juice that has been steeped for a month to compare it to but I'm noticing a color change and more flavor than shake and vape for sure.

My question is I just finished mixing my PG/VG for future use. Is there any reason not to add the nicotine also at this time? I just want to eliminate a step come mixing time. I use the same mg/ml for all my juices, I know to store it in a cool, dark place. We're not talking a huge quantity, around 200ml.

Just like many people I decided to make my own because of the gnikcuF bmuD sessA (FDA) messing with things they need to leave alone.
i think most people make a base mix as you noted. i dont add nic to my base because all of the shaking/whipping/blending impact on nic. i will whip the snot out of a recipe,, crockpot it and shelve it. i add the nic at time of use in most cases... its only a few drops from the same dropper all of the time so its no big deal..

i tend to make several recipes at once.. in small batches.. 10ml-30 mls

welcome back :)

Reactions: rtbob

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The nic will vary because if you use more percentage of flavoring then you will have less nic because there is no nic in the flavoring.If you use less flavoring then there will be more nic.

Huh????

Here's some examples of 2 recipes I make. Please note that the total % of flavoring in each is different. However, in BOTH recipes...the amount of 100mg/mL Nic in VG is the exact same!

Both recipes result in 50mL of eliquid that's a 40PG/60VG ratio @ 6mg Nic.

Lemon Meringue Pie (all TFA Flavorings in PG) :
Lemon - 12% = 6mL
Marshmallow - 6% = 3mL
DX Bavarian Cream - 4% = 2mL
Cotton Candy - 5% = 2.5mL
DX Graham Cracker - 3% = 1.5mL
Total flavorings - 30% = 15mL
Plain PG - 10% = 5mL
Plain VG - 54% = 27mL
Nic in VG - 6% = 3mL

NannerBerry (all TFA flavorings in PG)
Strawberry - 9% = 4.5mL
Banana Cream - 6% = 3mL
Cotton Candy - 2% = 1mL
Total flavorings - 17% = 8.5mL
Plain PG - 23% = 11.5mL
Plain VG - 54% = 27mL
Nic in VG - 6% = 3mL

The only possible "base" I could see making ahead of time for my 40PG/60VG ratio @ 6mg Nic eliquids...would be one with the plain VG and the Nic in VG, since those remain constant from recipe to recipe. The % of flavoring in PG and the % of plain PG would be the only 2 variables from recipe to recipe.

Last edited:

rtbob

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Austin, TX
i think most people make a base mix as you noted. i dont add nic to my base because all of the shaking/whipping/blending impact on nic. i will whip the snot out of a recipe,, crockpot it and shelve it. i add the nic at time of use in most cases... its only a few drops from the same dropper all of the time so its no big deal..

i tend to make several recipes at once.. in small batches.. 10ml-30 mls

welcome back :)
Thank you

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I premix my nic, pg and vg ahead of time in large batches. I keep it in the freezer in a glass bottle just like I do with the rest of my nicotine. Makes it very easy to mix by just adding some of the mixture and flavor when I need to make juice. I am not bothered by the nic, pg or vg being off by a slight % It does not have to be exact pg/vg/nic ratio when you are mixing for yourself :2c:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Huh????

Here's some examples of 2 recipes I make. Please note that the total % of flavoring in each is different. However, in BOTH recipes...the amount of 100mg/mL Nic in VG is the exact same!

Both recipes result in 50mL of eliquid that's a 40PG/60VG ratio @ 6mg Nic.

Lemon Meringue Pie (all TFA Flavorings in PG) :
Lemon - 12% = 6mL
Marshmallow - 6% = 3mL
DX Bavarian Cream - 4% = 2mL
Cotton Candy - 5% = 2.5mL
DX Graham Cracker - 3% = 1.5mL
Total flavorings - 30% = 15mL
Plain PG - 10% = 5mL
Plain VG - 54% = 27mL
Nic in VG - 6% = 3mL

NannerBerry (all TFA flavorings in PG)
Strawberry - 9% = 4.5mL
Banana Cream - 6% = 3mL
Cotton Candy - 2% = 1mL
Total flavorings - 17% = 8.5mL
Plain PG - 23% = 11.5mL
Plain VG - 54% = 27mL
Nic in VG - 6% = 3mL

The only possible "base" I could see making ahead of time for my 40PG/60VG ratio @ 6mg Nic eliquids...would be one with the plain VG and the Nic in VG, since those remain constant from recipe to recipe. The % of flavoring in PG and the % of plain PG would be the only 2 variables from recipe to recipe.

Jc this illustrates the point perfectly really. If you had used a premixed base (not seperate pg/vg/nic) and added the flavorings to that base for the two different recipes you would end up with different final nicotine content and pg/vg ratio.

3mls of 100mg per ml in 50mls is always going to make 6mg. No arguement from me on that.

@rtbob i personally only find the premix useful for making 10ml test batches. I keep it in a squeeze bottle with a twist top. For larger bottles I prefer a funnel.

Everyone has their own way. Whatever works for others is just fine by me.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, I have my way, too. I think different people have different tolerances for perfection. I generally make my base with 2% Nic and assume the flavorings will lower that a smallish amount. I used to buy at 1.5%, though. Kinda depends on the total percent of flavoring. I can make a WAG that it is in the 1.6532% area. I also toss in a banana peel and a crumpled beer can.

Life goes on...

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I think I'm beginning to see what they are doing when Sketchness writes:
If you had used a premixed base (not seperate pg/vg/nic) and added the flavorings to that base for the two different recipes you would end up with different final nicotine content and pg/vg ratio.
You and I mix to a fixed target volume along with fixed PG/VG/nic percentages. I, like you, will always put exactly the same amount of nic concentrate into the 100mL batch regardless of whether it is a completely unflavored batch or a batch with 30% flavoring. I WILL have to adjust PG/VG and therefore a premixed batch isn't practical.
What I think Sketchness and others might be doing is starting with a fixed amount of premade PG/VG/nic "base" and then adding a 30% or 10% or whatever to it. This would give you varying finished volumes along with varying PG, VG, and nic ratios as he claims.
So, either the mixer doesn't care about those variants and vapes the mix as is like @salemgold and @Frenchfry1942 say they do, OR the mixer has to tweak the result by adding one or more of the base components to bring it into line. But, if they're tweaking, I don't see the benefit of doing the premade base in the first place if they need to break out PG and VG and nic out again at the end.
To each their own...

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Yes, I have my way, too. I think different people have different tolerances for perfection. I generally make my base with 2% Nic and assume the flavorings will lower that a smallish amount. I used to buy at 1.5%, though. Kinda depends on the total percent of flavoring. I can make a WAG that it is in the 1.6532% area. I also toss in a banana peel and a crumpled beer can.

Life goes on...
I've not yet seen that in a recipe.

I like it, might have to give it a try.

BOOM!

Reactions: rtbob

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
@IDJoel i vape max vg and only add pg when I make juice for my tank buddies.

Typically I am mixing a large batch of custard and do the ingredients separately.

I mix a 120ml bottle of vg and vg base nic at 8mg. This I use when making 10 ml test batches. Add flavoring and top off with base. Done! I mix by weight which influences my method. But your right it doesn't matter to me when mixing what, pg/vg ratio I get as it will be max vg. I pretty much never go over 20% flavoring. So nic will be 6.2 or higher. It is pretty tough to be able to tell the difference between 6mg and 8mg when using quality nic. I might feel it a little faster if I am chain vaping.

So whatever keeps you off the cancer sticks is a great way to mix!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@IDJoel - Yep! That's it exactly! I figured out about 3 hours ago, (after rereading the posts before my last one, and then reading the newer ones), that must be what they meant and were doing.

However, making my eliquids any other way than I do now...won't work for me. (I suppose I could make a large amount of base with just the VG + Nic in VG, but it would require more freezer space than just the Nic in VG does now.) It took some experimenting for me to discover that I can vape eliquid with no more than 40% PG, or I get a nagging headache that lasts several hours. So I have to be sure the PG won't be any higher. It's definitely not that I'm a perfectionist, or think the way I mix is THE only way...I just don't like the headaches. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread