Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It can't be both that give tightness in chest and lungs.
Nope, it CAN be both.

For me it's most definitely too much VG that causes issues.
I don't understand why anyone would not have such issues like I have.

For others, it's probably some kind of sensitivity to PG that causes issues.
I'm sure they don't understand either.
:)

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
What I have seen in my couple of years being on this forum is that VG can give people breathing trouble. Heavy feeling in chest, tight chest type thing.

PG usually gives people more outward symptoms. Rashes or hives. More like allergic reactions than breathing issues.

Hope that cleared a little something up for you.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
One half of the camp says. If you have breathing issues when vaping. Lower PG. The other says lower VG. Which one is it? It's like folks don't know. It's either one or the other. It can't be both that give tightness in chest and lungs.
You left out the camp that says go to the doctor cause no one on a forum can in good conscious tell anyone definitively why they are having breathing issues when vaping.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
First, see your doctor to rule out any underlying issues that may be causing difficulty breathing.

Start out at 50/50 pg/vg and see how things go. If you are fine with that, good. If you have issues, try to pinpoint what the problem is - try small bottles of unflavored pg or vg for a bit and see if the issues lessen or increase. You will then have an idea what at least part of the issue is.

It is also possible that you are having a reaction to the flavors, nicotine base, or sweeteners that a particular vendor uses. Different vendors use different suppliers for flavors, nicotine base, pg/vg base, etc. For example, you may find that VapeWild flavors give you issues, whereas Mount Baker Vapor flavors are fine (I am not dissing either vendor, these are just 2 vendors that I have ordered from and am familiar with, I am using them as examples, not complaining about either. We have been happy with what we have received from both vendors, and continue to order from them). With vaping, it is very much a question of how your body reacts, with the equipment that you are using.

Quite a lot of this will be process of elimination, and everything depends on how you react to different aspects of vaping. It may be a simple question of changing the ohms on your coil, or lowering or raising the watts or volts on you mod. It could be that your body is reacting to a component of the flavoring being used.

Once you have an all clear from a doctor that there are no underlying issues, you can, if you choose, start experimenting to see if you can pinpoint what the issue with vaping is. While vaping has helped many people quit smoking/reduce the amount of cigarettes smoked/stay away from resuming smoking after quitting, it is not a be all/end all for everyone. Nothing is. Vaping has helped my daughter and me from resuming smoking after we quit, cold turkey, around 10 years ago, and I am a passionate advocate for vaping. However, I do realize that for some people vaping may not be the answer, due to their body chemistry and how their bodies react to the various components involved in vaping.

I hope that you are able to find a solution to any issues, and stay away from smoking.

Reactions: Eskie

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
Nope, it CAN be both.
So for some people they won't be able to vape otherwise they are taking a risk that they won't be able to breathe.

I remember when I smoked. I never had it where my throat felt like it was closing up and my chest was tight.

Day 1 of vaping i picked a bottle of 70 vg,30pg 6 nic. A llittle bit of tightness not much but too much nic. So changed to a different product on day 2. That was at 50pg 50vg 1.5 nic

By the 3rd morning of starting vaping (meaning i only vaped for 2 days not on the 3rd ) i got the tightness,shortness of breath, faint headed. I literally felt like someone was closing my airway and was sitting on my chest.

I drank lots of water and lemon and stayed still with my legs elevated for 5 hours and within about 7 hours i didn't feel as bad.

i stepped away from vaping for 4 days. My breathing and chest is back to normal.

Last edited:

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
With vaping, it is very much a question of how your body reacts, with the equipment that you are using.

Quite a lot of this will be process of elimination, .

I hear you. But an expensive process of elimination. My vape shops don't sell 10ml. And because i have to mix down to get 1.5 nic. I have to buy 2 bottles.

First order $19.99 of 30ml 6 mg. ( too much nic tossed it out )
Second order $40 of two 30ml - zero nic and 3mg nic ( tossed out both because of tightness)

Now ideally i would have to go test a MAX VG. So another $40
Then test a higher PG. So another $40

Not sure it's worth it.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I hear you. But an expensive process of elimination. My vape shops don't sell 10ml. And because i have to mix down to get 1.5 nic. I have to buy 2 bottles.

First order $19.99 of 30ml 6 mg. ( too much nic tossed it out )
Second order $40 of two 30ml - zero nic and 3mg nic ( tossed out both because of tightness)

Now ideally i would have to go test a MAX VG. So another $40
Then test a higher PG. So another $40

Not sure it's worth it.

You should make your own juice (it really is easy), then you could control all aspects of it, and it would cost you only pennies for those 30ml bottles. But you wouldn't need 30ml bottles for testing purposes, you could mix up 5ml or 10ml batches at different combinations to find the one that works best for you. :)

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
Guess I'll point out the Elephant in the room, flavoring. Quite possible the issue is not with PG or VG but a reaction to certain flavorings.
I agree. It could be that.

First bottle was MELON from CANADA CLOUDS
Second bottle was VANILLA CUPCAKE from MAPLE LEAFS

This could get real expensive trying to find a brand.

I wonder if it's best to stick to ORGANIC? Only natural flavors, no sweetners or anything artificial.

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
You should make your own juice (it really is easy), then you could control all aspects of it, and it would cost you only pennies for those 30ml bottles. But you wouldn't need 30ml bottles for testing purposes, you could mix up 5ml or 10ml batches at different combinations to find the one that works best for you. :)
It's a great idea Lannie maybe down the road but I have seen the process. I'm not sure I'm at that level yet. I'm a newbie starting out. But i totally agree, ideally that is the best way. That way you know what is going in.

We really are placing a lot of trust in vape companies. And being as many people can make this. No one really knows what has gone into a bottle. (A reason I'm sure the FDA is hammering down on the need for people selling ejuice to list ingredients)

I know that i try to avoid artificial flavoring where i can in regular food. Not because i get a reaction but not sure it's best. Though it's hard to find products nowadays that don't use some form of artifical something.

Sad really that we as a society have moved away from organic real stuff in order to make things cheaper

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
DIY can seem scary at first. It was to me, too, but I wanted to be able to customize my liquid, so as a two-month vape newbie, I got my first batch of supplies. I just made a few single-flavor juices, then a couple with two flavors, and when I realized how easy it was, I started scouring the web for recipes, and made a LOT of really good juice. Now I'm into creating my own combinations and I still haven't made one I didn't like. The neat part is that as my nic requirements have gone down, I can make my juice to match. I'm currently at 1mg nic, but in a couple of my bigger tanks, I need even less than that, so I have some juice I made specially for those at .5mg nic. I could make .25mg or .75mg if I wanted. THAT'S the part I like, plus the fact I know exactly what my ingredients are. :)

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
DIY can seem scary at first. It was to me, too, but I wanted to be able to customize my liquid, so as a two-month vape newbie, I got my first batch of supplies. I just made a few single-flavor juices, then a couple with two flavors, and when I realized how easy it was, I started scouring the web for recipes, and made a LOT of really good juice. Now I'm into creating my own combinations and I still haven't made one I didn't like. The neat part is that as my nic requirements have gone down, I can make my juice to match. I'm currently at 1mg nic, but in a couple of my bigger tanks, I need even less than that, so I have some juice I made specially for those at .5mg nic. I could make .25mg or .75mg if I wanted. THAT'S the part I like, plus the fact I know exactly what my ingredients are. :)
Just out of curiosity. What are you purchasing and what is your total initial cost? (i.e $20 bottle of Xml VG, $30bottle of Xml PG,$50 bottle of Xml nic. Total cost$100 and from that I can get X amount of bottles of whatever )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread