Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Just out of curiosity. What are you purchasing and what is your total initial cost? (i.e $20 bottle of Xml VG, $30bottle of Xml PG,$50 bottle of Xml nic. Total cost$100 and from that I can get X amount of bottles of whatever )

As a DIY example, one can buy a quart of PG plus a quart of VG from Essential Depot for about $30 shipped, then get 500ml of 48mg nic from RTS for about $30 shipped. For about $60 that makes about 2.5 liters of 60/40 10mg liquid before adding flavoring. That's roughly 80 30ml bottles, at a cost of about 75 cents per bottle. Flavorings vary widely in pricing and percentages, but they could double the cost at most.

Experimenting with flavors can be pretty inexpensive!

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
One half of the camp says. If you have breathing issues when vaping. Lower PG. The other says lower VG. Which one is it? It's like folks don't know. It's either one or the other. Surely it can't be both that give tightness in chest and lungs.

if it feels heavy or tight on your lungs ... it's likely the VG
if you have an allergic itchy reaction ... it's likely the PG

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
I see 440BB already broke it down for you, I came up with something similar.

PG 946ml $12.97 $0.014/ml
VG 1271ml $12.97 $0.01/ml
Nic 250ml $29.99 $0.11/ml
Flavor 15ml $3.25 $0.21/ml

50/ml bottle 5mg/nic 50pg/50vg with 14% flavors

Nic 2.5ml $0.27
PG 15.5ml $0.21
VG 25ml $0.25
Flavor 7ml $1.47

Total cost for 50ml bottle DIY juice $2.20

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Guess I'll point out the Elephant in the room, flavoring. Quite possible the issue is not with PG or VG but a reaction to certain flavorings.
I cannot do Capella flavors for some reason, so flavors are an issue for some

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
We originally bought a DIY kit from NudeNicotine (very overpriced, but it let me get my feet wet). As far as cost of supplies now, we get VG by the gallon for $13-something (last time we got a 5-gallon bucket, so it was even less), I don't use PG at all, except for the flavoring portion of the juice, so we don't buy that, but it's not that expensive. My big expense is flavorings, but I've gone crazy with those. I have more bottles of flavor than one person could use in a lifetime! LOL! Our nic base we got for $50 per liter for 100mg/ml and we have several of those broken down into smaller bottles in the freezer. I think we have enough to more than last us the rest of our lives, at our current rate of consumption. I use syringes to measure my ingredients (lots of people use scales and do it by weight, but the syringes work well for me). Those you can pick up almost anywhere for pennies apiece.

There is a startup cost, but mostly for flavorings, until you find what you like best. Then you can just restock a few flavors here and there as you need them. MY problem is I'm a flavor butterfly. I like all of 'em. So I have lots of bottles of flavor. ;)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I see 440BB already broke it down for you, I came up with something similar.

PG 946ml $12.97 $0.014/ml
VG 1271ml $12.97 $0.01/ml
Nic 250ml $29.99 $0.11/ml
Flavor 15ml $3.25 $0.21/ml

50/ml bottle 5mg/nic 50pg/50vg with 14% flavors

Nic 2.5ml $0.27
PG 15.5ml $0.21
VG 25ml $0.25
Flavor 7ml $1.47

Total cost for 50ml bottle DIY juice $2.20

ok, i need to head to the diy forum and figure out how to do this and what to order for mixing up 3mg nic juice......

Reactions: ghola1was

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
Columbus, OH
You left out the camp that says go to the doctor cause no one on a forum can in good conscious tell anyone definitively why they are having breathing issues when vaping.
In the USA, the medical community refuses to do any in depth studies on vaping. I doubt any Dr will have any idea. In the USA, politicians and rich people dictate the studies and results to fit a political agenda.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Just Me

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
In the USA, the medical community refuses to do any in depth studies on vaping. I doubt any Dr will have any idea. In the USA, politicians and rich people dictate the studies and results to fit a political agenda.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk
Buuut that's not the reason we suggest going to the doctor. :blink:

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
I can tell you so far i have pretty much given up on vaping.

1st attempt 75pg/25vg 6mg ( headache and nausea ) 20 puffs total for the day ( inhaled) Obviously too much nic for my body.

2nd attempt 50pg/50vg 1.5mg ( no headache or nausea ) 7 puffs inhaled in the day. Felt like i was being strangled to death the next morning for about 5 hours. my chest was heavy my throat tight. Finally it went away.

3rd attempt 85vg/ 15pg 3mg ( because they didn't have 0 in the shop) tasted amazing ( took 1 PUFF that's all! NO inhale just in mouth ) no initial issues so i was tempted to have more but decided just to have that one puff, later that evening felt like i was having trouble breathing. Not as bad as when i was on the 50/50 but still bad enough

4th day NO VAPING ( could breath perfectly fine )

5th day NO VAPING ( had half a real cigarette ) PERFECTLY FINE no headache or nausea or throat or chest problems. But obviously it was a cigarette and i don't wish to smoke

10th day NO VAPING ( breath amazing no problems at all. ) However i crave that hit of nicotine.

My last attempt is going to be 0 nic vape HIGH VG. If that causes problems. I am done with vaping and will have to go cold turkey, chew gum or taking up some extreme .........ion sport to take my mind off my cravings lol

I've come to realize a few things about vaping. ( you may not agree with these and they might not be entirely accurate. They are just my perception based on my current experience and reading others experiences. )

1. There are certain people that might not be able to vape because of issues with either (nic, flav, or vg or pg )

2. There is no way of determing NIC amount vs a cigarette. Yes we can throw out numbers all day and say. I have 3mg and only have 3 puffs. that means i get .000012 wharever of nic but that's nonsense. No one really knows as no one has been able to scientifically determine and come up with a chart that says.... If you use 1.5 mg, 3 mg or 6 mg ejuice and you take X amount of puffs your body will be taking X amount of nic compared to a cigarette. Heck, the only study i found and is where someone had taken 40 puffs ( no idea of what mg they had) and was told they were having the equivalent of 2 packs a day. ( i wish there was a clear idea on how much nic is in one cigarette and how much is in 1 puff from (1,5,3,6mg etc ) So because we don't know its easy to end up getting nicotine overdose.

3. We really don't know unless we make it ourselves what is in the flavor and even then most folks making it from flavors are buying the flavors and adding it. So again no one knows. We already know that the flavoring and coloring in some candy causes all manner of issues for kids so would not the same apply for ejuice?

4. I'm starting to think it might be a good idea for the FDA to monitor it because at least that way they can run tests and ensure the ejuice that gets put out there has a clear breakdown of ingredients ( not just the typical answer given. I know whats in my ejuice PG, VG, FLAVOR) that's not exactly accurate as no one knows what is in the flavor, or what might be coming off that metal coil.

5. There is big money in this and most folks down vape shops seem as though they just know enough to sell you that next bottle of $19.99 juice. ( which probably cost them about $1 to make ) When posed with the hard questions they just look like a deer in headlights. So it's in their best interest to sell you vs tell you that yes it might not be for you.

All i know is when i don't vape. I can breath and feel good.. When i vape i feel as though someone is strangling me. And you can tell based on the amount of puffs listed above. I am not doing it like most folks. I am playing it safe. 1 puff in a day shouldn't cause issues unless i have some aversion to what is inside the ejuice.

Even back in the day when i used to smoke 1 pack a day. I never had breathing problems.

So something is definately wrong. I have gone high, i have gone low. I have changed flavors and ejuice companies and lowered the nic. And still having issues.

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Weird. Do you have other lung issues? I have asthma since child hood and smoked tobacco (and other things which I gave up a few years ago) and I haven't needed my use as needed inhaler once since I started vaping. I started on lower VG stuff and since I started going to 50/50 and higher I can feel a little tightness some evenings if I vaped a lot but nothing like you describe at all.

britrocker

Jul 3, 2016
Weird. Do you have other lung issues? I have asthma since child hood and smoked tobacco (and other things which I gave up a few years ago) and I haven't needed my use as needed inhaler once since I started vaping. I started on lower VG stuff and since I started going to 50/50 and higher I can feel a little tightness some evenings if I vaped a lot but nothing like you describe at all.
No lung issues.

I'm going to try 100% VG and something on the low end of VG and then see which cause a reaction.

I think its just a process of elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread