Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I just mixed up my first liquids using my scale this morning, and I don't think I'll go back to mixing my volume at all. It's much more convenient and accurate, IMO.

Just gotta get a big squeeze bottle for VG. Using a syringe or pipette is a pain.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

And there you have it. Once you have given it a fair shot, there is no going back to dealing with syringes. It really does help to have VG in a squeeze bottle. I saw some where on here where some one was using restaurant catsup and mustard containers for VG and PG but I think a quick peruse of Amazon will get you the appropriate bottles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the scale isn't calibrated, my percentages would still come out the same, it's just my final mix could be up or down a ML or two, right?

And I will report back after I do some mixing this way.

Yes, as long as it is off consistently, then the percentages will not change.

Your up next!

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
No... My scales are sold as precision jewelry scales... Never seen scales marketed specifically for vaping, and if some where, then just get another, as there's plenty... PG, VG and non-vape-marketed "food-flavors" will neither ever be an issue common-scense dictates imho...

Last edited:

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
Went ahead and ordered a scale, calibration weight, disposable pipettes and more Yorker caps for my larger bottles.

In the past I had dismissed the idea of mixing by weight, not sure why. Now that I am mixing in larger quantities it seems like the way to go.

Thank you, Capt.shay, for the informative and persuasive introductory guide.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Went ahead and ordered a scale, calibration weight, disposable pipettes and more Yorker caps for my larger bottles.

In the past I had dismissed the idea of mixing by weight, not sure why. Now that I am mixing in larger quantities it seems like the way to go.

Thank you, Capt.shay, for the informative and persuasive introductory guide.

I have heard people who said they were reluctant to use weight with smaller batches but it really doesn't matter, large or small, it's all to scale (see what I just did there :) ). I think it is even easier to use the scale for smaller batches as it takes the guess work out of the syringe and you don't have to worry about residual. I might use drops for <5ml batch but I see no practical application for a 5ml batch. Ingredients are cheap and very small batches increase the margin of error.

I think you are going to like weight based mixing, especially since you have been mixing for a while and know what a pain washing every thing out and avoiding cross contamination. Feel free to ask any questions and please do report back when you have given it a try.

@Jdurand, still waiting on your initial impressions. Hope all went well last night.

Last edited:

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.
Thanks!!!! @Capt.shay Great info.

App bought, Scale ordered. I will try this next weekend.
Quagmire_111.jpg

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I have heard people who said they were reluctant to use weight with smaller batches but it really doesn't matter, large or small, it's all to scale (see what I just did there :) ). I think it is even easier to use the scale for smaller batches as it takes the guess work out of the syringe and you don't have to worry about residual. I might use drops for <5ml batch but I see no practical application for a 5ml batch. Ingredients are very cheap and very small batches increase the margin of error.

I think you are going to like weight based mixing, especially since you have been mixing for a while and know what a pain washing every thing out and avoiding cross contamination. Feel free to ask any questions and please do report back when you have given it a try.

@Jdurand, still waiting on your initial impressions. Hope all went well last night.
OK, here are my first impressions of mixing by weight. It is going to take some getting used to. I only made a single batch of my Milkman recipe. I mixed up 220ML. The scale is sensitive and putting in the last few drops to make weight can be difficult at first. I used Yorker caps on the 4 oz. bottles of flavoring and found the flavoring in PG flow out pretty quick. I need some new bottles (squeeze type) for my PG and VG, that would speed things up some.

All in all, it is a very easy method and clean up took moments.

On an unrelated note, I don't like that the E-juice me up calculator needs to have all recipes converted to weight individually. You can't just turn on that feature and it automatically converts all saved recipes for you. So that's a bit of a pain.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
OK, here are my first impressions of mixing by weight. It is going to take some getting used to. I only made a single batch of my Milkman recipe. I mixed up 220ML. The scale is sensitive and putting in the last few drops to make weight can be difficult at first. I used Yorker caps on the 4 oz. bottles of flavoring and found the flavoring in PG flow out pretty quick. I need some new bottles (squeeze type) for my PG and VG, that would speed things up some.

On an unrelated note, I don't like that the E-juice me up calculator needs to have all recipes converted to weight individually. You can't just turn on that feature and it automatically converts all saved recipes for you. So that's a bit of a pain.

There is a tiny learning curve in getting the drops right at the end of a measure. Eventually you will know how much each drops weighs more or less and you will be hitting your numbers on the dot. Also, remember that a drop is .03 -.04g and if you are off by a drop or two in a 220ml batch, you are still probably more accurate than dealing with a meniscus or residuals in a measuring container. This is where scale lag is a bummer and one of the main reasons I don't like the AW scale as much. It takes to long to register after adding to the scale. You think you are still light so you add a little more but in reality the scale hasn't caught up and now you have added to much and go over. Like I said, it takes a little getting used to.

VG in a squeeze bottle is almost mandatory. It really speeds things up.

Can't help you with the calculator as I don't use that one. Perhaps ask in their thread if a quicker way exist.

Thanks!!!! @Capt.shay Great info.

App bought, Scale ordered. I will try this next weekend.

Welcome aboard! Looks like Ghola1was is now up to the plate and you are on deck!

Post up if you have any questions. And let us know how you find the method.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada

Once you get a few mixing sessions under the belt you'll know how fast or slow to pour your ingredients. It doesn't take long to be able to drip minute amounts out of a quart jug. Using a scale is great and consistently accurate that I could never use syringes again.
I had to convert all my recipes in the ejuice calc individually once I set the weights as default, its a PIA but has to be done that way. I also removed all those stock recipes it came with so there is much less clutter, just be sure to save the file or an program update could delete all your work.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina

For a 220ml batch, I wouldn't worry about a few 0.01g, or even a couple 0.1g. For a batch that size, a couple tenths of a gram is unlikely to have an appreciable effect.

For small batches (~15ml), when mixing flavors at 0.5-1%, that 0.01g is a little more crucial. At batch sizes from 15-30ml, I use a small plastic pipette for flavors, which gives me a lot more control.

What does concern me (even though I probably shouldn't worry) is relative density of each ingredient. I use the Liquix app for Android, which seems to be accurate, but I can't check or adjust whatever specific gravity factors it's using. Ejuicemeup may work out, but I typically don't have my computer handy when mixing.

BOOM!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
What does concern me (even though I probably shouldn't worry) is relative density of each ingredient. I use the Liquix app for Android, which seems to be accurate, but I can't check or adjust whatever specific gravity factors it's using. Ejuicemeup may work out, but I typically don't have my computer handy when mixing.

The E-Juice me up calculator allows for settings of each component. I am using the weights as described by Capt Shay in an earlier post here as a base line. I may just measure it all out for myself to see if the measurements are correct to my scale. I'd adjust the calculator based on those numbers. I don't have my computer in front of me when mixing either, but I do print out all the recipes I am going to mix in one sitting. My wife and I just do an assembly line type operation. In a half hour or so, we can have several batches made and cleaned up after.

DIY doesn't take a lot of time if you mix your favorites in large batches, with the scale method, it's just that much less time consuming, especially in the clean up.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Flavor specific densities I don't worry about because it's ever only "relevant" the first time you try someones elses recipe out, and not your owns, and with the meniscus/leftovers/uncalibrated-often/eye-balling syringe "issues" then it's comparabel in accuracy imho...

For me, using scales have never been about accuracy-improvements, but entirely about ease of operation without cleanup and faster :)

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
My setup arrived today, everything I need to start mixing by weight. Made up 4 bottles of juice at 50 ml each using the methods described in this thread. I had no problems with the process or the equipment.

My first impression is very positive, hitting my target numbers after the first few pours became very easy. The mustard and ketchup bottles mentioned earlier made for quick dispensing of PG and VG with good control and a manageable finish. The pipettes were ideal for flavors, amazing how little a drop from one of these pipettes actually weighs. For now I am saving the individual pipettes by securing them upside down to their dedicated flavor with a rubber band.

It quickly became obvious that this method is much more accurate than mixing by volume. Far more accurate than I've ever felt I need to be with my juice making. Like hertz wrote, it's more about ease of operation. Of course, the proof will be in the vape.

And then there is the cleanup. No more having to rinse out syringes and needles. Just toss a paper towel in the trash. Done.

Thanks again, Capt.shay. It's a brand new lab.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
My setup arrived today, everything I need to start mixing by weight. Made up 4 bottles of juice at 50 ml each using the methods described in this thread. I had no problems with the process or the equipment.

My first impression is very positive, hitting my target numbers after the first few pours became very easy. The mustard and ketchup bottles mentioned earlier made for quick dispensing of PG and VG with good control and a manageable finish. The pipettes were ideal for flavors, amazing how little a drop from one of these pipettes actually weighs. For now I am saving the individual pipettes by securing them upside down to their dedicated flavor with a rubber band.

It quickly became obvious that this method is much more accurate than mixing by volume. Far more accurate than I've ever felt I need to be with my juice making. Like hertz wrote, it's more about ease of operation. Of course, the proof will be in the vape.

And then there is the cleanup. No more having to rinse out syringes and needles. Just toss a paper towel in the trash. Done.

Thanks again, Capt.shay. It's a brand new lab.

Glad it is working out for you. It really is just that easy and quick!

I used to do the exact same thing with the pipettes and rubber bands but it got messy and there was often some residual. Eventually, I just bulk ordered a large quantity from china on the cheap and now, unless I think I am going to use that flavor again real soon, I trash them.

I agree with more accuracy than really necessary but that is kind of the beauty of the method. It is so easy to be accurate and you really only need to be so accurate. My good friend who started vaping with me and use to work in the Pharma industry refers to our mixing standards as "bucket chemistry".

Again, glad it is working out for you and please share when you begin to sample your results.

Gnees, time to knock out your cleats and step in to the batters box :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread