Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
OK - I see and understand that part. But what I use is premade. It is 12mg nic VG base. I do not mix pg then vg then nic separately. I use one bottle that I buy -that is VG 12mg. So I need to weight that and see what the grams to mls = to make my recipes?

I guess I'm not a very fussed mixers. I use 12mg nic but if it ends up being 9mg I dont care... I know it will always be less than 12mg and thats ok. I just want to be able to use my base then add the flavors without using a bunch of tools (pipetts, syringes,etc). It will be less mess for larger mixes. I still use drops for the smaller bottles.

I'm thinking I'm making myself more confused. I guess I need to make a 120ml of my ADV using the scale and compare it to the way I normally make it using volume and see if there is a considerable difference.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    OK - I see and understand that part. But what I use is premade. It is 12mg nic VG base. I do not mix pg then vg then nic separately. I use one bottle that I buy -that is VG 12mg. So I need to weight that and see what the grams to mls = to make my recipes?

I guess I'm not a very fussed mixers. I use 12mg nic but if it ends up being 9mg I dont care... I know it will always be less than 12mg and thats ok. I just want to be able to use my base then add the flavors without using a bunch of tools (pipetts, syringes,etc). It will be less mess for larger mixes. I still use drops for the smaller bottles.

I'm thinking I'm making myself more confused. I guess I need to make a 120ml of my ADV using the scale and compare it to the way I normally make it using volume and see if there is a considerable difference.
    You would want to enter 12mg/ml VG nic (0 PG) as your base
    upload_2017-5-11_23-4-42.png

for a 30ml bottle, the base would weigh 37.83g

I don't weigh my pre-mixed base anymore.
    Just weigh the flavors in a 30ml bottle, and top off with the base.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I stepped back and didn't want to start a argument concerning volume measurement vs scaled measurement and how I think they differ. I still don't want to argue and am glad that MsLoud can now proceed on her scaling journey.
    I don't see any reason for argument.:D

The act of measuring (anything) is nothing more than using a tool. Some are more comfortable using one tool over another. If the tool is used correctly the result will be favorable. One sculpture may choose to use a mallet and chisel while another may choose to use a chain saw. Both can create incredible works of art because they know how to use their chosen tools. They understand the tools strengths and limitations. They work with the tool's strengths and don't try to force it beyond its limitations.

If a DIYer has a preferred method, understands its use, enjoys what they make, and doesn't find it a "chore"; then I say they have made a good choice for them! :thumbs:

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon

You're gonna have to "lie" to the calculator, to get it to give you what you want. If you tell it your base has a certain amount of nic/pg/vg percentage, and your target liquid has a certain amount of nic/pg/vg percentage, then one of three things is going to happen. Either (1) it will want you to add some pg and/or vg to the final mix, or (2) it will tell you that target is not possible with your chosen base, or (3) you happen to land (through trial and error, or enough math that you probably don't need to use the calculator in the first place) on a target ratio that calls only for base and flavorings with no added PG/VG. But if you don't really care all that much what your final mix ends up as, you can lie about what you're putting in. Tell it your base is 0 nic, 100% VG, tell it your target liquid is also 0 nic, and click the "Max VG" box. Then it will give you a recipe that's just "VG" (use your nic base instead) and flavors. You can find out what the actual nic content is by multiplying 12mg/ml by whatever percentage it tells you to use (example if your recipe is 20% flavor, 80% VG and your VG has 12mg/ml nic in it, then 80% of 12 is 9.6mg/ml.)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

MsLoud, a simple calculation might be convenient for you at times. To calculate how much flavor to add to a given 12mg base amount (or any other base amount) just do this with your calculator.

(Desired Strength * Bottle size (in milliliters) = Amount needed (in milliliters).

If you want to make a 120ml of 5% strength flavor with your 12mg base (or any other strength base), just do this:

.05 * 120 = 6

First is the flavor percentage in decimal form. The 2nd number is the amount to make in ml. The answer is in ml. To convert ml of flavor to drops, just multiply by 20 (20 drops = 1ml)

Last edited:

tokarev

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Any scale that measures to 0.01g should be adequate. Look back at the first few pages of this thread. There was mention of several different scales that will work. I have had the LB-501 for over a year and have not had any problems except for it's tendency to fluctuate for a bit before it settles down. Then again, I don't run it on batteries either and probably never will. It's been plugged into the wall socket since I got it. I don't know if that makes any difference, though.

greenmachine17

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2015
    Street Level U.S.A.
    Any scale that measures to 0.01g should be adequate. Look back at the first few pages of this thread. There was mention of several different scales that will work. I have had the LB-501 for over a year and have not had any problems except for it's tendency to fluctuate for a bit before it settles down. Then again, I don't run it on batteries either and probably never will. It's been plugged into the wall socket since I got it. I don't know if that makes any difference, though.
    Hi..my friend swears by this.he's been DIY for years.he still uses it.
    American Weigh Scales LB-501
    Digital Kitchen Scale.
    On Amazon for about $25.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Can anyone recommend some better scales besides the ones in the OP, I have the LB-501 kitchen scales, lasted barely 4 months and it just stopped working on me. No reason at all. I would just like to get something with a little better quality. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry to hear of your problem with that scale. I've had the same one for about two years now and still working fine. Perhaps give another a go. I'd also drop the seller a note and see if there is any response.
    I don't know of any reasonably priced scale with the same features/accuracy as this one to recommend.
    The auto-zero of some take them out of the running for me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Can anyone recommend some better scales besides the ones in the OP, I have the LB-501 kitchen scales, lasted barely 4 months and it just stopped working on me. No reason at all. I would just like to get something with a little better quality. Thanks for any suggestions.

My LB-501 is also working fine. I used it yesterday.

The LB-501 has a 10 year limited warranty. I'd contact Amazon and then the manufacturer, American Weigh Scales. Try the "click here" link below under Warranty and Support and see where it takes you.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Wei...ie=UTF8&qid=1500384832&sr=8-1&keywords=lb-501

Warranty & Support
    Manufacturer’s warranty can be requested from customer service. Click here to make a request to customer service.
    • 500 Gram capacity with 0.01g resolution
    • Units of measure include: g, ounce, dwt
    • Includes four AAA batteries
    • Scale made with the finest craftsmanship and guaranteed to last for years
    • 10 Year Limited Warranty

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Looking for some calibration help or suggestions:

I purchased the SF-400D scale suggested by @Capt.shay on page one. Although his link mentioned 400D2, mine is labeled as 400D. As best as I can determine, they are identical scales, so will proceed as thought they are unless anybody knows any pertinent differences.

So after mixing for a while, I finally picked up a set of calibration weights. Reading the manual and doing some research, it seemed I only needed a 100g weight. But I picked up a set of 6 weights, ranging from 5g to the largest 100g weight, a total of 205g.

First thing I did was power on the scale showing 0.00, placed the 100g weight in the middle, and it read 100.07. Tried the 50g weight and it read 50.03. Is that even enough discrepancy to require calibration?

But me, in the interest of perfection, and having the weights "I needed" sitting right there, figured why not? Following the "instructions", I held the "CAL" button and it flashes "200.00!" What the? Double checked the "manual" and yes, it said 100g, but then added"(subject to the scale of your scale)." It goes on to say that after 3-4 seconds, it will say "pass, then 100" and you are done. Not having the correct weight, I removed the 100g weight and turned off the scale and "Err" appeared on the screen. Now I am wondering if I really screwed things up! So I unplug and remove the batteries, wait a minute, and put back together. Plug it in, turn it on and reads 0.00, place the 100g weight in the middle, and still reads 100.07. At least I feel I am back where I started and have done no damage. Since I was doing this before a mixing session, I gave up and did my mixing as it was.

Yes! I know! This is getting long! But I am compelled to press on! :shock:

So this morning, realizing I did have a total of 200g in weights, thought I would give it another try. But now when holding the "CAL" button, 500.00 came up! What happened to 200.00? Does this scale know what I have, what I am trying to do, and being an :censored:? So I reset it again and when the "Cal" button comes up 200.00 this time, I place all the weights on the scale. But as I am setting 5 weights on the scale, it then changes to 500.00! And now, even after re-setting the scale, it comes up 500.00 when trying to calibrate. So I am coming to the end of my rope! I've already paid for a set of calibration weights I evidently can't use and am reluctant to buy more especially not being sure what I actually need!

If anybody is still with me :closedeyes: :sleep::

1. Is my discrepancy of .07 on a 100g weight worth worrying about and if not, at what level should I be concerned?
    2. Can anybody else with the SF-400D confirm the calibration method and what weight(s) are needed?
    3. Or should I just mix on with it as is, checking occasionally, use this set of weights to hold some papers down in the wind, and look at a different scale if/when this goes further astray?

And NO! I will not even consider changing from mixing by weight, even if buying a new scale would cost quite a bit more then this one!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    1. Is my discrepancy of .07 on a 100g weight worth worrying about and if not, at what level should I be concerned?
    2. Can anybody else with the SF-400D confirm the calibration method and what weight(s) are needed?

1- Only you know if 0.07g is significant For me and my mixing, it wouldn't be, but I only do 30ml mixes.
    Then, I've always been kind of ...., so I would hate thinking I was off.

2- I have a LB-501 scale. It also has a two weight calibration scheme. Flashes 200 then after weighing that, 400. Perhaps yours is the same scheme and just wants the two amounts of weight. I haven't heard of anyone calibrating your scale though.

For me, if a scale is accurate and repeatable, it's good. Weigh something, then weigh several of those somethings and see what you get. Like nickles.

Here's a video that seems to suggest the scale has an issue. Easier to watch the first couple of coins, then skip to the end where the total isn't accurate.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks!
    1- Only you know if 0.07g is significant For me and my mixing, it wouldn't be, but I only do 30ml mixes.
    Then, I've always been kind of ...., so I would hate thinking I was off.

I probably should have worded it differently as at what discrepancy would calibration be needed or even just aq good idea. There must be some point since calibration is built in. Since there is a button there, I'd like to use it and get my money's worth! :D

2- I have a LB-501 scale. It also has a two weight calibration scheme. Flashes 200 then after weighing that, 400. Perhaps yours is the same scheme and just wants the two amounts of weight. I haven't heard of anyone calibrating your scale though.

I'm hoping to find out before taking more guesses. What I see does not correlate to the manual. Looks like I may need to research a little deeper.

For me, if a scale is accurate and repeatable, it's good. Weigh something, then weigh several of those somethings and see what you get. Like nickles.

It is the repeatability I'm mostly concerned with. If it continues to show the same discrepancy, that should not be a major problem especially with single flavor mixes. But should that number change over time? While a .07 discrepancy seems miniscule, I have one recipe I mix in 55ml batches with one flavor at 4 grams and another at .85 grams. How does my discrepancy relate to those and what happens should that discrepancy increase to .1 or higher?

Earlier in this thread, using nickels to calibrate was discussed. I saved up a bunch with that intent and started weighing them up. While about half weighed the correct 5 grams, the rest came in all over the place. Or given my un-calibrated scale, were those weighing 5 grams actually wrong? Given that, and your video link showing a different scale using some foreign coinage, I didn't garner much from it.

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    Sorry to hear your confusion! I can not help sorry, other than saying that in my case, I don't calibrate, but check with coins, as ShowerHead stated above, and I do 10 checks with the same coin. It comes out to 5.01 to 5.02, and one time of many, it came out once to 5.03, but I laid it off-center I believe. To me that would be acceptable and hint to me that calibration/changing-scale isn't needed yet.

This gives you peace of mind that your mixes is repetable and somewhat "within-spec", but of course doesn't help with your main issue, sorry.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

If anybody is still with me :closedeyes: :sleep::

Isn't there a Simple Test that you can do to either Confirm or Alleviate your concern?

And that is to Mix a Batch of your Favorite e-Liquid and see if you like the Taste of it.

How close the Numbers on a Scales Display are to the Numbers Stamped on a Weight Standard isn't all that Important if you like the Taste of the Hit you get from a DIY Mix.

And Most Important, if your DIY Mix Tastes the Same every time you Mix It.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the replies. Checking scale accuracy is simple, be it with nickels or weights. But we check that accuracy for a reason. That being, is the accuracy off to a degree calibration is needed. That could, and probably is a different level for each of us. While that is/was not my main inquiry, it seemed reasonable to ask (along with my main question and concern) what level of inaccuracy to others would initiate a calibration?

To my main question and concern: If I feel a need to calibrate my SF-400D, whether it's way off or just a tick, how does this scale calibrate and what weight(s) is(are) required to accomplish that calibration?

@zoiDman : Given my age, poor eyesight, tremors, and pathetic pallet after 40+ years smoking, not too sure I could blame a change in flavor on an un-calibrated scale..........no matter how far off it tested. :D Just thought it might be nice to remove that variable from the equation......since that is the only variable with that option. :eek:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    @zoiDman : Given my age, poor eyesight, tremors, and pathetic pallet after 40+ years smoking, not too sure I could blame a change in flavor on an un-calibrated scale..........no matter how far off it tested. :D Just thought it might be nice to remove that variable from the equation......since that is the only variable with that option. :eek:

I'm with you OTD.

;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Numerical Accuracy. And the Pursuit of Accuracy in DIY is a Good Quest.

But only when the level of Accuracy has an Effect on Taste. Past that Point, its just chasing Decimal Places to the Left of a Decimal Point.

At least for Me it Is.

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread