Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I know you haven't even mixed a batch yet but I bet you are already planning your next flavor order :)
spqdheu-gif.581095

Well, I already mentioned my first order seemed a bit short, especially on VG and bottles, and it is always wise to reach the free shipping amount so.......:sneaky:

And I am already figuring out a good spot in the house for a dedicated vape cabinet or would a dorm size fridge be the way to go? :w00t: :lol:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Well, finally got around to working with the scale. Sort of used it breaking down my nic into 250ml bottles which was no more then practicing looking at the screen while pouring. But then I mixed up some unflavored and Frosted Donut 10ml batches. Adding PG and VG from the Yorker drip bottles worked well, but the miniscule amounts of nic and flavoring was a bit challenging. Everything I've read suggested mixing small amounts when mixing a new recipe, but no more then the ingredients cost, I think I can manage a bigger test batch. 0.6g nic for a 10ml recipe is only a couple drops. But I will say, once I get some solid recipes and mix larger quantities, mixing by weight will be the way to go.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I finally got around to a full mixing session. I went with mixing four recipes, 30mls each. It took me less then an hour (not bad for my old, shaky hands) from setting up to putting everything away. Thanks so much @Capt.shay for pointing me in the mix by weight direction. Now it is on to trying recipes until I find some I really like. At this cost, that shouldn't be too hard.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It's probably in the settings then...

Note, imho this is the best calculator available, but not as easy to get into as ejuicemeup, so you could use that instead if wanted.

There's also a xml calc stickied in this forum from scubabatdan with grams/mls/drops.

The online calc on eliquidrecipes, also has it/can be configured to it...

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
K, thx. I have that installed but have only looked at it briefly (just got the first of my DIY stuff today, more flavors inbound) and didn't see where it gave a gram weight, just percentages, ml and drops.

I think you go into tools, options, and click grams on preferred mixing method.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
and didn't see where it gave a gram weight, just percentages, ml and drops.
Using the "Tools" tab (top left corner of main screen); select "Options." In the "Options" window (which defaults to the "General" tab); check "Grams" in the Preferred mixing method box(middle left). Then, while still in the "Options" window; click the "Recipe defaults" tab. Make sure the "Don't show grams" is not checked found in the Hide values box (upper middle right). (You can also check the "Don't show drops" box right above to remove the "Drops" column from the main screen while you are here if you wish.)

Click the "Save Defaults" button on the bottom (this should return you to the main screen).

You should now see a "Grams" column second from the right and it should be in bold text compared to the other columns.

If you are new to @HotRod19579 's calculator; I would strongly encourage you to take a few minutes and explore ALL of the Options tabs. You have lots of choices to personalize this calculator. In fact check out all the tabs of the main screen. There is almost nothing that can't be done. HotRod has also included a pretty good Help file in the Help tab>Display help to walk you through the basics. And the thread link @OlderNDirt provided above is an active thread where both HotRod and others are happy to help with any other questions.

Sorry @Capt.shay; not trying to hijack your thread. :rolleyes:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Thanks guys, found the option and used it to figure out ml and gms for a simple 1 flavor recipe (1% BRY4 from my NN DIY starters kit) that I just made. Definitely need to go buy squeeze bottles tomorrow, for the vg most importantly. I wanted to do one with syringes by ml (and gms) anyway so I would know how much easier it is doing strictly grams with sqz bottles. I also need to place my amazon order for a better scale (old scale only does 0.1g, and auto shuts off pretty quick).

thanks again.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Thanks everyone. I am sub'd to that other thread but it is so huge I only skimmed the first and last page. Now that I got DIY gear and more flavoring on the way I will have to set aside some time to properly read it.

First 100ml DIY recipe done (mostly by weight, used syringes but couldn't really bother looking at the ML's on them) and pretty tasty. NN BRY4 @ 50/50. They recommended 0.5 - 2% flavoring and I was going to do 2% but changed my mind after opening the bottle and smelling it so I settled on 1% and pretty happy after a shake and vape. I didn't add any other flavors or sweeteners, etc. Pretty stoked and eager to try some new flavors and full blown recipes and clones of some of my regular vapes.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
By all means, share the way of the weigh. That's what this thread is for.

Thanks for the thread!
Mixed last night using the squeeze bottles for PG and VG.
It was easier than ever, only one beaker to clean up and that's because I use a battery mixer to blend everything.

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.
Very new to DIY so a quick question- I purchased 12mg 100%VG unflavored nic (ready to vape). How do I determine how much flavoring to add?
LeX, talk to E, he helped me out a lot, figuring it out. I'm still new at this. So I would give you bad info.[emoji56]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread