Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I just finished using my new scale a couple of days ago, and found that pg/vg are not measured as a 1:1. Each has their own specific gravity that needs to be accounted for.

I, like you, came up short in my bottle.

It seems generally accepted to calculate using the following
pg = 1.038 grams so to find the correct gram weight it would be....ml *1.038
vg = 1.26 grams so to find the correct grams to add would be ...ml * 1.26
nic in pg = mg*1.035 then * by ml
nic in vg = mg* 1.25 then * by ml
pg/vg 50/50 = ml * 1.1425

If anyone has different measurements please post. This is what I found on some older ecf posts.
:)

I did use the published weights for PG and VG (which match yours) and my strength / suspension type of nicotine. I got a little crazy with the specific gravity of flavors, although I understand that some people do not. I found some spreadsheets with weights for TFA and Capella flavors. I even found SDS sheets for Flavor West that included the weights.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I just finished using my new scale a couple of days ago, and found that pg/vg are not measured as a 1:1. Each has their own specific gravity that needs to be accounted for.

I, like you, came up short in my bottle.

If anyone has different measurements please post. This is what I found on some older ecf posts.

I had this same issue with some of my first batches and realized the calculator I am using has 50/50 nic set to 1:1 by default and I had to adjust it for the nic I bought. All of my extended shelf life nic is 50/50 since that is my desired end result but I also bought some 100vg nic recently that I will be using before the extended shelf life stuff. I found this blog that explains how to calculate the weight for my 50/50 nic manually until the companies I emailed for their specific weights contact me - Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight • /r/DIY_eJuice

I did the math he has there and came up with 1.133951 g/ml. Hopefully I did the math right.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I had this same issue with some of my first batches and realized the calculator I am using has 50/50 nic set to 1:1 by default and I had to adjust it for the nic I bought. All of my extended shelf life nic is 50/50 since that is my desired end result but I also bought some 100vg nic recently that I will be using before the extended shelf life stuff. I found this blog that explains how to calculate the weight for my 50/50 nic manually until the companies I emailed for their specific weights contact me - Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight • /r/DIY_eJuice

I did the math he has there and came up with 1.133951 g/ml. Hopefully I did the math right.
close enough to 1.14 for me. lol
It may just easier and faster to measure the nic/ml in the syringe and forget about the grams. Dunno, but since I need to know how things work I am glad we have figured it out.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon

Wikipedia states PG is 1.036 g/ml (not 1.038) so that's what I use. Using that and also VG at 1.261 and nic at 1.01, I calculated myself that 100mg (edit: actually I calculated for 10%, which as we know is not exactly 100 mg/ml but very close. I guess it's 101mg/ml innit?) nic in PG would be 1.0334, and in VG would be 1.2359. Considering our scales only go to .01, and even a single drop weighs in at .02 or more, I'd say your numbers are still "close enough for government work," even if they may not be dead-accurate.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Wikipedia states PG is 1.036 g/ml (not 1.038) so that's what I use. Using that and also VG at 1.261 and nic at 1.01, I calculated myself that 100mg nic in PG would be 1.0334, and in VG would be 1.2359. Considering our scales only go to .01, and even a single drop weighs in at .02 or more, I'd say your numbers are still "close enough for government work," even if they may not be dead-accurate.
Thanks, I will note the correction for the pg.

Reactions: Kenna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Wikipedia states PG is 1.036 g/ml (not 1.038) so that's what I use. Using that and also VG at 1.261 and nic at 1.01, I calculated myself that 100mg (edit: actually I calculated for 10%, which as we know is not exactly 100 mg/ml but very close. I guess it's 101mg/ml innit?) nic in PG would be 1.0334, and in VG would be 1.2359. Considering our scales only go to .01, and even a single drop weighs in at .02 or more, I'd say your numbers are still "close enough for government work," even if they may not be dead-accurate.
I was actually using 24mg/ vg, so that is where I got the number I quoted in my first post.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
  • Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml

• Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
  • Weight of Pure Nicotine: 1.01 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.035 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in PG: 1.03632 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in PG: 1.0366 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in PG: 1.036656 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in PG: 1.036992 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in PG: 1.037328 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in VG: 1.245 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in VG: 1.2475 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in VG: 1.248 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in VG: 1.251 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in VG: 1.254 grams per ml
This is the list of weights, that I just recently found. I have only mixed by weight once, and that was before I found these numbers. :)

These can also be found on the first page second post of this thread ;)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Then it dawned on me that I have never accounted for the liquid in the blunt needle!
This is a common misconception. I made it myself when I first started mixing. Some good folks here on ECF explained it to me; and now I hope to share it with those who may not already be aware.

If you purge the air from the syringe and needle BEFORE you measure (like you see them do on TV; draw an amount of fluid {can be more/less than intended}, holding the syringe with needle up, flick the syringe a couple of times with your finger to dislodge any stubborn air bubbles, and press the plunger until all the air is purged and liquid comes out the tip), then measure desired amount, dispense by depressing the plunger ONCE (Don't pull the plunger back and press again... at least not into the recipe container). You should have an accurate measurement; regardless of needle length and diameter.

This is because whatever volume is added by the addition of a needle remains in the needle after the plunger is pressed. Error will only occur when air is left in the syringe, or reintroduced by drawing the plunger back and depressed a second time, and that air then displaces the volume that SHOULD remain in the needle after dispensing. If you wish to recover this minuscule amount; do a secondary press back into the supply bottle and not the mixing bottle/container.

I'm not promoting the use of syringes. If anything this extra care/effort supports the "way of weigh(copyright Capt.shay)" being faster, and more simple, than proper syringe use. :D

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
This is a common misconception. I made it myself when I first started mixing. Some good folks here on ECF explained it to me; and now I hope to share it with those who may not already be aware.

If you purge the air from the syringe and needle BEFORE you measure (like you see them do on TV; draw an amount of fluid {can be more/less than intended}, holding the syringe with needle up, flick the syringe a couple of times with your finger to dislodge any stubborn air bubbles, and press the plunger until all the air is purged and liquid comes out the tip), then measure desired amount, dispense by depressing the plunger ONCE (Don't pull the plunger back and press again... at least not into the recipe container). You should have an accurate measurement; regardless of needle length and diameter.

This is because whatever volume is added by the addition of a needle remains in the needle after the plunger is pressed. Error will only occur when air is left in the syringe, or reintroduced by drawing the plunger back and depressed a second time, and that air then displaces the volume that SHOULD remain in the needle after dispensing. If you wish to recover this minuscule amount; do a secondary press back into the supply bottle and not the mixing bottle/container.

I'm not promoting the use of syringes. If anything this extra care/effort supports the "way of weigh(copyright Capt.shay)" being faster, and more simple, than proper syringe use. :D

This was not a misconception on my part – I was not properly using syringes and I was not accounting for the liquid in the needle. I would put a little air in the syringe before pulling the liquid because it was easier for me to read the numbers. I would pull up the liquid and just stop when I got to my desired volume as measured on the syringe. Then I would squirt all of the liquid in both the syringe and the needle into a bottle. I’ve seen some people report that a needle can hold up to .1ml, and I believe that all of my DIY mixing with syringes included this amount (more for VG where I used a thicker needle).

I’ve seen doctors properly use syringes and I get what you’re saying. But no, I will not do what they do and regularly squirt concentrated flavoring on to my carpet.

It’s a moot point for me – I’m now measuring by weight exclusively. I made a 30ml bottle of Shisha Strawberry last night. It took me less than five minutes (including setting up and putting away my equipment and ingredients) and there was nothing to wash. I love it.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It’s a moot point for me – I’m now measuring by weight exclusively. I made a 30ml bottle of Shisha Strawberry last night. It took me less than five minutes (including setting up and putting away my equipment and ingredients) and there was nothing to wash. I love it.
Understood. I too find weighing makes thing easier for me. I responded more for the benefit of others who might be unaware of how a syringe is intended to be used.
I was not properly using syringes and I was not accounting for the liquid in the needle. I would put a little air in the syringe before pulling the liquid because it was easier for me to read the numbers.
My poor eyesight, and the difficulty seeing/reading the graduations on a syringe, are what got me to start measuring by weight. Reading the display screen is SO MUCH easier! Now if I can find a substitute for my shaky hands... :facepalm:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
My poor eyesight, and the difficulty seeing/reading the graduations on a syringe, are what got me to start measuring by weight

Just knowing that I will never have to wash out another syringe was enough for me! ( BTW, the large readout is one of the main reasons I like the 500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting w/ USB Wall Adapter scale. )

I have said it a hundred times before and I will say it agian, some day we will look back on mixing by volume the way we look at blue foam and cigalikes and say "I can't believe people use to go through all the hassle of mixing by volume."

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Just knowing that I will never have to wash out another syringe was enough for me! ( BTW, the large readout is one of the main reasons I like the 500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting w/ USB Wall Adapter scale. )

I have said it a hundred times before and I will say it agian, some day we will look back on mixing by volume the way we look at blue foam and cigalikes and say "I can't believe people use to go through all the hassle of mixing by volume."

Aye, Aye, Capt. You got it. :)

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I can see the issue of the extra flavor in the needle itself being an issue if you are mixing small batches. I mix a minimum of 120ML at a time. .1ML in that amount will not harm anything. Even when I use the scale to mix, I can be off a drop or two and never notice.

We aren't mixing complex chemistry here, being off a little bit, unless it's a super strong invasive flavor like cinnamon, shouldn't make a huge difference when making larger batches.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Most of the time I mix a lot of 10ml bottles trying to find recipes that I really like. Unfortunately, I haven't found many yet, so I haven't mixed anything larger than a 30ml bottle (not including mixing 100mg nicotine down to 36mg). I'm trying to find recipes with a minimal percentage of flavor - 3% or 4% is what I'm shooting for. 4% flavoring in a 10ml bottle is .4ml, and I agree that accidentally mixing in .5ml instead would make a difference in such small volumes.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Btw, for UK/EU'ers, 72mg is often not listed in the "examples", so to avoid doing the calcs for noobs, then here they are:

72mg VG: ((7.2*1.01)+(92.8*1.26))/100 = 1.242 ~ 1.24

72mg PG: ((7.2* 1.01)+(92.8*1.04))/100 = 1.03784 ~ 1.04

72mg VG with 20% DW(nicobrand nic from vendors like lubrisolve, totally-wicked and alchemist-cupboard): ((7.2*1.01)+(72.8*1.26)+20)/100 = 1.19

Last edited:

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Just knowing that I will never have to wash out another syringe was enough for me!
"I can't believe people use to go through all the hassle of mixing by volume."

Yeah, you'd get my wife to mix by volume over her dead body. She does the mixing, I had to get her to try by weight. After her initial resistance, she now wouldn't have it any other way.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
I'm just curious if most of you have 30ml or small bottles of flavorings?

I assume that after watching Scott's video. Yes it looks extremely easy and worth it. But most of my flavor bottles are 120ml or big bottles. So for me washing it a pipette or syringe seems like the same to me. I would imagine it being hard to control the liquid flow from a big flavor bottle.

Maybe I'm crazy though I dunno :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread